Which brokerages can display Personal Portfolio Performance? [Update 2020-07-22]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
livesoft

Which brokerages can display Personal Portfolio Performance? [Update 2020-07-22]

Post by livesoft »

Which common brokerages will easily or automatically calculated one's portfolio performance accurately without having to resort to an external method such as Excel, other spreadsheet, Quicken, or MS Money?

Not Fidelity for sure. [Update 2020-07-22: There is magically a "Performance" tab in my account this morning.]

A friend of mine wanted to know the performance of their advisor-run portfolio which is held in custody at Fidelity. I have a Fidelity account and try as much as I could, I could not find anywhere on Fidelity.com how to see the performance of a portfolio. I used the Search, Help, and the online Chat only to find out that one cannot calculate a Personal Portfolio Performance at Fidelity. Although I did find that Fidelity thinks it is important:

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/inv ... io-checkup
4: Assess overall performance
Your checkup should include an assessment of your portfolio's overall returns. You should check in at least annually, if not more frequently. When evaluating performance, context is key. You need to know 2 things: whether your portfolio is on pace to meet your goals, and whether it has performed as well as comparable investments over a reasonable period of time
As WellsFargo, one just clicks on Portfolio, then Performance.
As Vanguard.com, one clicks on My Accounts, Personal performance.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JAZZISCOOL

Re: Which brokerages can display Personal Portfolio Performance?

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Schwab has a good portfolio performance option I use frequently. The default is the time-weighted return but it also can calculate the "personal rate of return" which factors in cash flows. You can change the default methodology.

Also, if you have multiple accounts, it can calculate them together or separately.

IMO, the performance reporting is much better than what I can find on Vanguard's site or Etrade (although I'm not on there often.)
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Thanks. That's a big enough difference between Schwab and Fidelity that it would tip the scales towards Schwab for me.
saver007

Post by saver007 »

IBKR also has robust offering for portfolio analysis.
See https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5078
ladycat

Post by ladycat »

In my Fidelity account, under the "More" menu tab, there's a "Performance" link. Among other things, there's a chart with YTD, 1, 3, 5, 10 year performance for each account (brokerage, IRA, Roth), and aggregate.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

ladycat wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 pm In my Fidelity account, under the "More" menu tab, there's a "Performance" link. Among other things, there's a chart with YTD, 1, 3, 5, 10 year performance for each account (brokerage, IRA, Roth), and aggregate.
+1 Works for me. livesoft, you try it out?
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

+1
Of course Fidelity has all that, and more. I have Wells Fargo, Schwab, Merrill Edge and Vanguard accounts. Fidelity is by far the best. One man's opinion.
Diligent Hands

Post by Diligent Hands »

I hadn't looked at Fidelity's performance pages until seeing this post. Pretty nice.
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ladycat wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 pm In my Fidelity account, under the "More" menu tab, there's a "Performance" link. Among other things, there's a chart with YTD, 1, 3, 5, 10 year performance for each account (brokerage, IRA, Roth), and aggregate.
I don't have that. I see:
But if I did have a way to show Performance, then that would be a massive failure of the "Chat session" I had with a Fidelity CSR who clearly stated to me that there was no way to calculate a personal portfolio performance for me at Fidelity.com

Since others have a Performance, I feel totally stiffed by Fidelity.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

livesoft wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:42 pm Thanks. That's a big enough difference between Schwab and Fidelity that it would tip the scales towards Schwab for me.
I am very happy with schwab and their costumer service is great. One other feature they recently added was cash flow (past and future/anticipated for the year) I have many individual muni bonds and dividend paying etf’s. Schwab provides me by month what my cash flow is and will be.
My bias is to view cash flow as single most important piece of information to manage my assets in retirement. I had accounts with both Fidelity and Vanguard (7 years ago) and much prefer Schwab.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:46 am Since others have a Performance, I feel totally stiffed by Fidelity.
I am in the same boat as you (the tabs when I log in look like yours). It can't be that it is a legacy account thing as we just opened a couple Roth IRAs this year along with a DAF. Maybe you need to have the account with a big balance (ours is in the low 5 digits) or a long time or an advisor? Just guessing here. Personally, I have been underwhelmed by the Fidelity website overall, pretty fonts, but screwy usability overall.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Fidelity shows me a Performance tab - it's between Analysis and Manage Cash tabs.

There's also a banner saying "Welcome to the new Performance summary experience. What's new for you" which contains a link. I click on the link and it says:
Welcome to your new online performance experience!
This change was made in order to provide you with:
A new, streamlined design viewable from all your electronic devices
Faster releases of ongoing enhancements
A more stable and reliable digital environment, and
Better integration with the overall Fidelity.com site.
Your feedback is critical to helping us deliver the best performance experience possible. Please tell us if you like the experience, or if you would like any changes, by clicking on the "Share your feedback" link at the top of the page.
Based on your feedback we've introduced the following changes for you in our latest release:
Create custom performance groups comprised of multiple accounts
Toggle between monthly, quarterly, and yearly data on the Balances card
Ability to export data to spreadsheet
Enhanced print capabilities
Added more choices for single and blended market indexes when you select "Modify Market Indexes", and
Show the number of accounts being displayed (i.e. 8 out of 10 accounts)
So apparently this is some new feature being slowly rolled out.

Hopefully livesoft you'll get it soon :)
cricket49

Post by cricket49 »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:46 am
But if I did have a way to show Performance, then that would be a massive failure of the "Chat session" I had with a Fidelity CSR who clearly stated to me that there was no way to calculate a personal portfolio performance for me at Fidelity.com

I have the Performance Tab on my Fidelity screen but my friend did not have the option.

My accounts have been with Fidelity for over 30 years and that option was available from the beginning.

When my friend who had money at Fidelity questioned why she did not have the Performance function on the screen the rep insinuated her portfolio was not that large. She had been at Fidelity for 5 years at that time and had a 400,000 balance.

It did not seem fair to me that she did not have that option since it is a very valuable tool. Fidelity never would add the option to her portfolio.
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst.
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

cricket49 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:11 am I have the Performance Tab on my Fidelity screen but my friend did not have the option.

My accounts have been with Fidelity for over 30 years and that option was available from the beginning.

When my friend who had money at Fidelity questioned why she did not have the Performance function on the screen the rep insinuated her portfolio was not that large. She had been at Fidelity for 5 years at that time and had a 400,000 balance.

It did not seem fair to me that she did not have that option since it is a very valuable tool. Fidelity never would add the option to her portfolio.
I've had several Fidelity accounts for quite a long time (decades, plural). My friend (see my first post) has had an account for more than a decade and is what might be called high value even for Bogleheads.org and they don't have a performance function. So I conclude the presence/absence does not appear to be dependent on size of assets nor length of time as a client.
ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel »

I am switching over to Fidelity (due to the "one stop shop" thread). It seems like a good way to go, but their UI/UX is atrocious. Definitely needs a lot of work.
cricket49

Post by cricket49 »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:44 am
cricket49 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:11 am I have the Performance Tab on my Fidelity screen but my friend did not have the option.

I've had several Fidelity accounts for quite a long time (decades, plural). My friend (see my first post) has had an account for more than a decade and is what might be called high value even for Bogleheads.org and they don't have a performance function. So I conclude the presence/absence does not appear to be dependent on size of assets nor length of time as a client.
I wonder if it was a tool offered in the 1990's but eliminated or rules changed at some point? If so, it may not available to everyone?

Did you get an explanation from Fidelity?
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst.
student

Post by student »

Interesting. I see the performance tab but not the YTD tax activity tab on my account.
Last edited by student on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
student

Post by student »

Maybe you can try going directly and see whether it gives you an error? For example,
https://oltx.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/ofto ... rmance/XXX
where XXX is your account number.

Edit: Interesting. If I use this about direct weblink, I get the YTD tax activity that I do not get before.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

Perhaps the type of account impacts whether or not the "Performance" tab is viewable or not.

I have a "Performance" tab for all of my personal accounts as described by others, but not for my "Workplace Savings" (401(k) account.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

wanderer wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:14 am Perhaps the type of account impacts whether or not the "Performance" tab is viewable or not.

I have a "Performance" tab for all of my personal accounts as described by others, but not for my "Workplace Savings" (401(k) account.
Yep, that's seems correct. If I choose, "All Accounts" or other select accounts (e.g. brokerage, CMA, Roth IRA, HSA, 529), I can see a performance tab but I don't see performance tab for my 401k, and my SO's 403b.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Here's what I see, though that I doesn't help you directly. What kind of Fidelity account are you trying to view (e.g. brokerage, CMA)?

Does the direct link below work for you:
https://oltx.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/ofto ... erformance
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

wanderer wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:14 am Perhaps the type of account impacts whether or not the "Performance" tab is viewable or not.

With Schwab, I have a 401(k) PCRA account, taxable account and an IRA account which are all included on the performance tab. I'm not sure why it would matter at Fidelity but I don't have an account there.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

My wife and I have been with Fidelity for over 20 years. I see difference even between our two accounts. It’s very strange. I also noticed that she is at some premium level with an assigned advisor. I have ten times more money there and I have no one assigned. I guess they know I do it myself. :-)

:sharebeer
pkjr

Post by pkjr »

I see the performance tab only on accounts associated with Fidelity NetBenefits but not on individual accounts.
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

mervinj7 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:27 am Here's what I see, though that I doesn't help you directly. What kind of Fidelity account are you trying to view (e.g. brokerage, CMA)?
[...]

Does the direct link below work for you:
https://oltx.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/ofto ... rformance/....
I have different kinds of accounts at Fidelity including brokerage, CMA, IRA, DAF, old 401(k), ..... None of them have a Performance tab, not even the NetBenefits one.

The direct link does not work, but thanks for showing it. When I use it, it changes portfolio#performance to portfolio#summary

In you screen capture, "ACCOUNT BALANCES OVER TIME" is not a performance metric as shouldn't it have a PERCENT number to show CAGR or something like that. Maybe it does below the bit that you captured and displayed for us.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY who chimed in on this! It seems some Fidelity clients are more equal than others.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

livesoft wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:56 pm In you screen capture, "ACCOUNT BALANCES OVER TIME" is not a performance metric as shouldn't it have a PERCENT number to show CAGR or something like that. Maybe it does below the bit that you captured and displayed for us.
Yes, you are correct that below ACCOUNT BALANCES OVER TIME, there are two more sections that are quite useful:
  • CHART VIEW: Shows your growth chart as actual balances over time vs balances if they were never invested.
  • PERSONAL RETURNS: Shows your personal rate of return calculated over several time periods using either annualized returns or cumulative returns. It also shows the equivalent returns market returns. Another feature is the ability to see performances of blended portfolios.
My index of choice is the 85% Blend.
Index Blend 85% Stocks
Comprised of the following indexes: 60% DJ U.S. Total Stock Market Index (Domestic Stocks), 25% MSCI ACWI ex USA (Net MA Tax)(Foreign Stocks) and 15% BBG U.S.Aggregate Bond Index BBG (Domestic Bonds)
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

I have net benefits. I have also struggled finding this info from time to time. Does this link work for you?
https://workplaceservices.fidelity.com/ ... erformance
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
Topic Author
livesoft

Re: Which brokerages can display Personal Portfolio Performance? [Update 2020-07-22]

Post by livesoft »

Just an update: I now have a performance tab in my Fidelity account web page. I have even less assets at Fidelity than I had when I started this thread, so it is not because my portfolio at Fidelity went over some minimum value to get a Performance tab. I will see if my friend has a Performance tab later this week.