Is this a good portfolio mix for a retiree?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ricks1433

Is this a good portfolio mix for a retiree?

Post by ricks1433 »

Hello,

I'm looking for a simple 2-4 ETF Fund strategy for a retiree with cash sitting in the bank and currently not invested. Need something simple.

Funds: low seven figures all in cash now.
Income: none
Debt: none
Six month emergency fund: already funded

Here's where I plan on investing:

VTI - 30%. - US TOTAL MARKET STOCKS ETF
BND - 50%. - US TOTAL MARKET BONDS ETF
VIG - 15% - Dividend Stocks ETF
VXUS 5% - International Stocks ETF

Is this a good approach or any better recommendations/strategy/mix? Need something fairly conservative but not too conservative. Maybe a 4 on 1-10 scale. Was going to take all cash (except for 6 months of emergency) and put into the above mix and then extract 4% annually (.0033 each month).
Last edited by ricks1433 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HomeStretch

Re: Is this a good portfolio mix for a retiree?

Post by HomeStretch »

Welcome!

A 50/50 equity/bond asset allocation, 6-month emergency fund and a 4% withdrawal rate are all reasonable.

For the best feedback, suggest you edit your original post to use the “Asking Portfolio Questions” format using the pencil icon in the upper right corner.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Asking_ ... _questions
Topic Author
ricks1433

Post by ricks1433 »

Thanks. I updated the post a bit.
bltn

Post by bltn »

I think that plan wii do fine. With interest rates as low as they are I would think more short term with my bond funds for now.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Perhaps that portfolio could be a bit more optimized? The Dividend stocks are already within the S&P500 index, so you are essentially over-weighting them. I would reduce it to the simpler 3-fund portfolio, with 50:50 ratio, and 20% of the stock allocation to international.

VTI - 40%. - US TOTAL MARKET STOCKS ETF
VXUS 10% - International Stocks ETF
RevFran

Post by RevFran »

A bit more international than 5%?
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

As a retiree, your "deep risk" is inflation. Not saying high inflation is likely (I don't think it is), but that if it happens, it's a bigger problem in your situation. As such, you may want to consider including inflation-protected bonds in your asset mix.

Conventional wisdom here is to have 1/4 to 1/2 of your stocks in international--the US has done better recently but that tends to run in cycles.

So, if you are keeping to 4 funds or less, one possible approach would be:

30% BND (total bond)
25% SCHP (Schwab TIPS ETF)
30% VTI
15% VXUS

This would have about the same volatility level as your original proposal.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I'm not suggesting some kind of idea portfolio, but along with the others my suggestions would be:

1. No need for VIG.

2. More in international, say 30% of stocks for sake of specificity.

3. Half your bond allocation in a TIPS fund.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

35% VTI
15% IXUS (more tax-efficient than VXUS)
25% VGIT
25% SCHP

Intermediate corporate bonds have had a moderately high correlation to intermediate TIPS in the past. If using total bond index I would thus prefer a short-term TIPS fund. But intermediate treasuries are a better diversifier of equity risk than a bond index so this will offset the somewhat higher risk of non-US equities at a higher allocation level.

Do you have assets in any tax-qualified accounts? If so, those and the taxable account should be wrapped into one portfolio with tax-efficient asset location mapping determined.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ricks1433 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:00 pm Hello,

I'm looking for a simple 2-4 ETF Fund strategy for a retiree with cash sitting in the bank and currently not invested. Need something simple.

Is this a good approach or any better recommendations/strategy/mix? Need something fairly conservative but not too conservative. Maybe a 4 on 1-10 scale. Was going to take all cash (except for 6 months of emergency) and put into the above mix and then extract 4% annually (.0033 each month).
Not a bad idea at all, a 50/50 asset allocation and a 4% withdrawal rate at age 67.

lakpr wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:30 am Perhaps that portfolio could be a bit more optimized? The Dividend stocks are already within the S&P500 index, so you are essentially over-weighting them. I would reduce it to the simpler 3-fund portfolio, with 50:50 ratio, and 20% of the stock allocation to international.

My suggestion as well.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

If simple is the primary goal, consider these funds, which have about 50% invested in stocks:

Vanguard Tax-Managed Balanced Fund Admiral Shares (VTMFX)
Vanguard Managed Payout Fund (VPGDX)
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

dandinsac wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:17 am If simple is the primary goal, consider these funds, which have about 50% invested in stocks:

Vanguard Tax-Managed Balanced Fund Admiral Shares (VTMFX)
Vanguard Managed Payout Fund (VPGDX)
Based on the selection of ETFs in the first post, I believe the OP is looking for an index-based portfolio rather than actively managed fund. Both the suggestions above are actively managed. Not bad suggestions at all, just pointing out the philosophical differences
retiredflyboy

Post by retiredflyboy »

I think 2 fund is also fine. Total stock index and total bond index. Lots of the stocks have international exposure.
Facts are stubborn things. Everything works until it doesn’t.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

ricks1433 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:00 pm
I'd replace VIG with VPU for stability. LC's already have substantial foreign revenues. I'd replace VXUS with an EM index at no higher than 10% AA. It's a good VG portfolio.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:01 am

Not a bad idea at all, a 50/50 asset allocation and a 4% withdrawal rate at age 67.

lakpr wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:30 am Perhaps that portfolio could be a bit more optimized? The Dividend stocks are already within the S&P500 index, so you are essentially over-weighting them. I would reduce it to the simpler 3-fund portfolio, with 50:50 ratio, and 20% of the stock allocation to international.

My suggestion as well.
Ditto +1
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
cognovimus

Post by cognovimus »

Could someone post the analogous funds at Fidelity? (Taking some baby steps, hoping to consolidate many funds into 3 as well.)

Thx.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

cognovimus wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:13 am Could someone post the analogous funds at Fidelity? (Taking some baby steps, hoping to consolidate many funds into 3 as well.)

Thx.
For Fidelity mutual funds:

FSKAX - Total US Stock (or FZROX if you wish to use their zero ER fund)
FTIHX - Total International Index (or FZILX for zero ER)
FXNAX - Total US Bond Index

In a taxable account, consider the ITOT eft for Total US and IXUS for Total international because of their better tax efficiency. They trade for free at Fidelity. I assume your bonds will be in tax advantaged, for which FTBFX is fine.

(Edited to correct Total Bond Index ticker.)
Last edited by ClaycordJCA on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 am
cognovimus wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:13 am Could someone post the analogous funds at Fidelity? (Taking some baby steps, hoping to consolidate many funds into 3 as well.)

Thx.

FTBFX - Total US Bond Index wrong

In a taxable account, consider the ITOT eft for Total US and IXUS for Total international because of their better tax efficiency. They trade for free at Fidelity. I assume your bonds will be in tax advantaged, for which FTBFX is fine.
Instead of the actively managed, higher expense ratio, fund Fidelity® Total Bond Fund (FTBFX) ER 0.45%, use their total bond market index fund, with a low expense ratio, which is Fidelity® US Bond Index (FXNAX) ER 0.025%.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:34 am
ClaycordJCA wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 am

Thx.

FTBFX - Total US Bond Index wrong
Instead of the actively managed, higher expense ratio, fund Fidelity® Total Bond Fund (FTBFX) ER 0.45%, use their total bond market index fund, with a low expense ratio, which is Fidelity® US Bond Index (FXNAX) ER 0.025%.
My mistake. Thanks for catching. Original post has been corrected.

Post by 1789 »

For 50/50 i would go with

Us total stock and US total bond markets
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

No. I recommend 60% VTSAX and 40% VBTLX.
Topic Author
ricks1433

Post by ricks1433 »

This site is awesome! Thank you all very much for the recommendations! :D :D :D
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I'm roughly where you are proposing--retired 8 years, late sixties, no debt.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀