Wait to transfer ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Wait to transfer ?

Post by NestEggLove »

I was going to (tomorrow) move a little over 100k from my Roth IRA (Vanguard Total Market Index Fund) into the equivalent at Fidelity, since the dividend will have come in.
The reason being, I decided to split up the portfolio between the 2 brokerages —— to not have everything at Vanguard.
Looking at futures at the moment, after attacks on Saudi oil, would it be better to wait ? Who knows ? I guess it’s market timing no matter what.
Just wondering what others would do.
Thanks !
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Wait to transfer ?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

NestEggLove wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:52 pm I was going to (tomorrow) move a little over 100k from my Roth IRA (Vanguard Total Market Index Fund) into the equivalent at Fidelity, since the dividend will have come in.
The reason being, I decided to split up the portfolio between the 2 brokerages —— to not have everything at Vanguard.
Looking at futures at the moment, after attacks on Saudi oil, would it be better to wait ? Who knows ? I guess it’s market timing no matter what.
Thanks !
NestEggLove:

I believe it is a mistake to split your portfolio between two brokerages for these reasons:

Benefits of having all investments in one company:
1. One familiar statement.
2. Less paperwork.
3. Easier tax preparation.
4. Avoidance of low-balance and other small fees.
5. It's much easier to learn only one company's policies, fees, regulations, etc.
6. With larger holdings it may be possible to qualify for lower costs and premium services (Voyager, Admiral, Flagship).
7. Rebalancing and exchanges are easier.
8. Eliminates 3rd party brokerage.
9. A loyal customer is appreciated and usually treated better.
10. Less chance of errors.
11. More free time for ourselves.
12. In event of death or disability, it will be much easier for others.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NestEggLove wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:52 pm I was going to (tomorrow) move a little over 100k from my Roth IRA (Vanguard Total Market Index Fund) into the equivalent at Fidelity, since the dividend will have come in.
Thanks !
Two comments -
1. I wouldn’t split it up just to spread the exposure around. It makes your life more complex. Boglehead investment principle #9 - invest with simplicity.

2. If you’re going to split it anyway, don’t pay attention to the futures market tonight, or the market movement tomorrow. You’ll be selling in one company at the same market close at which you’ll be purchasing in the other company (presuming that you have available funds in the new company to make the purchase), and your overall position in Total Stock Market will remain unchanged by your sale and purchase.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:12 pm
Thanks !
NestEggLove:

I believe it is a mistake to split your portfolio between two brokerages for these reasons:

2. Less paperwork.
5. It's much easier to learn only one company's policies, fees, regulations, etc.
6. With larger holdings it may be possible to qualify for lower costs and premium services (Voyager, Admiral, Flagship).

Best wishes
Taylor
Thank you for your response, Taylor. I always value your sage advice and appreciate very much your reply.
I already have a relatively small balance of Roth IRAs at Fidelity, and was thinking of consolidating/ putting the remainder there as well. I have a larger 403B at Vanguard.
I will take your advice to heart, thanks !
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

Stinky wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:47 pm
Thanks !
Two comments -
1. I wouldn’t split it up just to spread the exposure around. It makes your life more complex. Boglehead investment principle #9 - invest with simplicity.

2. If you’re going to split it anyway, don’t pay attention to the futures market tonight, or the market movement tomorrow. You’ll be selling in one company at the same market close at which you’ll be purchasing in the other company (presuming that you have available funds in the new company to make the purchase), and your overall position in Total Stock Market will remain unchanged by your sale and purchase.
Thanks for the reply, Stinky ! I’ll contemplate not making a move, but one thing : it would probably take about a week for the transfer between the 2 brokerages, so that’s another issue —— what would the share price be when the funds finally arrive at Fidelity ? Who knows...
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Have you looked into converting part of the vanguard fund to its etf version and transferring the etf.

No market risk for being in cash during the transfer period. I believe that it does take a phone call to vanguard to do. Can’t do it online.

https://www.etf.com/sections/index-inve ... nopaging=1
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

BuddyJet wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 am Have you looked into converting part of the vanguard fund to its etf version and transferring the etf.

No market risk for being in cash during the transfer period. I believe that it does take a phone call to vanguard to do. Can’t do it online.

Yeah. Transfer in kind so you’re never out of the market, and timing / market movement is irrelevant.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NestEggLove wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:14 pm
Thanks !
Two comments -

Thanks for the reply, Stinky ! I’ll contemplate not making a move, but one thing : it would probably take about a week for the transfer between the 2 brokerages, so that’s another issue —— what would the share price be when the funds finally arrive at Fidelity ? Who knows...
I understand your concern.

So, if you can't make the transfer between Vanguard and Fidelity "in kind", I agree that the transferred money will be out of the market for a week or so. During that time, the market could go up, the market could go down - nobody knows. And the same concern about "losing out" because the market goes up during the quiet week) can happen any time such a transfer is made, because no body knows the direction the market will take over a one-week period in the future.

If you see being out of the market for a week as a negative, seems to me that's still two strikes against making the transfer. You're making your financial life more complex. And you're out of the market on the transferred money for a week.

Your call as to how to proceed. If it were me, I wouldn't split my money between the two brokerages.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Thanks !
Two comments -

I think you missed that this is a Roth account.
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

Thanks !
I would not wait. Yes, that would be market timing. I would never market time. FSKAX ER 0.015 (Fidelity total U.S. stock market index) is the equivalent.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
HMdocinPA

Post by HMdocinPA »

I transferred a Roth from vanguard to fidelity a couple months ago, sent as cash, took less than a week. Fidelity Rep said they have a good working relationship with vanguard and the transaction is all electronic.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Convert your VTSAX to VTI. Then you'll be able to transfer in kind anywhere. I did this, going to VEA for developed international and then transferred from Vanguard to TDAmeritrade, who I have been happy with. I do also have Fidelity and Schwab accounts. I keep track of investments on an excel spread sheet and it is not at all difficult to manage any number of accounts. Between my wife and me, we have 9 or 10 accounts. I can tell you at any time, to the penny what the value of my investments is.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

BuddyJet wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 am Have you looked into converting part of the vanguard fund to its etf version and transferring the etf.

Interesting, BuddyJet, I’ll do some research —- thanks !
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

cherijoh wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 am
Thanks !
Two comments -

I’m not seeing how this being a Roth account affects my two comments - complexity and time out of market.
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

Stinky wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:56 am
NestEggLove wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:14 pm
Thanks !
Two comments -

I understand your concern.

So, if you can't make the transfer between Vanguard and Fidelity "in kind", I agree that the transferred money will be out of the market for a week or so. During that time, the market could go up, the market could go down - nobody knows. And the same concern about "losing out" because the market goes up during the quiet week) can happen any time such a transfer is made, because no body knows the direction the market will take over a one-week period in the future.

If you see being out of the market for a week as a negative, seems to me that's still two strikes against making the transfer. You're making your financial life more complex. And you're out of the market on the transferred money for a week.

Your call as to how to proceed. If it were me, I wouldn't split my money between the two brokerages.
Thanks for the analysis, Stinky. My gut leans this way, and will have to mull it over. Appreciate it !
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

Ferdpost_id=4751198 wrote:Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:44 am
Thanks !
I would not wait. Yes, that would be market timing. I would never market time. FSKAX ER 0.015 (Fidelity total U.S. stock market index) is the equivalent.
:thumbsup
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

Thanks !
NestEggLove:

2. Less paperwork.

Best wishes
Taylor
Strongly disagree with that. No matter how 'too big to fail' brokerage is it's always better to avoid putting all the eggs in one basket. Think about all the cyberattacks, stolen ids, corrupted management and so on.
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

:thumbsup
HMdocinPA wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 am I transferred a Roth from vanguard to fidelity a couple months ago, sent as cash, took less than a week. Fidelity Rep said they have a good working relationship with vanguard and the transaction is all electronic.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Stinky wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:53 am
Thanks !
Two comments -

I’m not seeing how this being a Roth account affects my two comments - complexity and time out of market.
See the part I highlighted in your post. Aren't you suggesting buying and selling simultaneously (i.e., at close of market on the same day)? How will that work with Roth?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

cherijoh wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:02 am
Stinky wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:53 am
Thanks !
Two comments -

See the part I highlighted in your post. Aren't you suggesting buying and selling simultaneously (i.e., at close of market on the same day)? How will that work with Roth?
Point taken. Thank you. :happy
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:14 am Convert your VTSAX to VTI. Then you'll be able to transfer in kind anywhere. I did this, going to VEA for developed international and then transferred from Vanguard to TDAmeritrade, who I have been happy with. I do also have Fidelity and Schwab accounts. I keep track of investments on an excel spread sheet and it is not at all difficult to manage any number of accounts. Between my wife and me, we have 9 or 10 accounts. I can tell you at any time, to the penny what the value of my investments is.
Thanks for the example/ info., Jack !
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I keep a small account at Schwab, with most of our money at Fidelity. I do this as cybersecurity insurance. Let's me sleep at night, knowing when Fidelity (and all other brokerage firms) get hacked, I have another path to cash if I need it. IMHO it is not IF, it is WHEN.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thanks !
I would reconsider splitting the portfolio between two brokerages. Moving and consolidating everything with Vanguard was the best financial decision we ever made. There are so many benefits that have been list in the above thread. I would actually be more concerned if our portfolio was split between two brokerages.

Remember Mr. Bogle's advice: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success".
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Thanks !
NestEggLove:

2. Less paperwork.

Best wishes
Taylor
+1
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

In my opinion one of the biggest advantages (and perhaps we do not talk enough about it) is the impact to family, heirs, and spouses.

The older I get the more I appreciate that.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

I would have no concern about having all holdings at Vanguard given their insurance coverage beyond sipc.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing ... protection

Simplicity aside, I have accounts at several brokerages for several reasons.

Some accounts are just to earn the new account bonus, some for bank credit card or relationship benefits and some for long term investing.

Having several accounts allows me to learn which brokerages excel at which things.

All in all, Fidelity is my best fit but your fit depends on your needs. It makes sense to me to try many before committing everything to one
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Topic Author
NestEggLove

Post by NestEggLove »

Thanks, all, for your responses and opinions !