New Job 401k Investment Options

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
idoc5

New Job 401k Investment Options

Post by idoc5 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 am

I recently started a job and am seeking advice regarding investment allocation. I am 31 and early on in my working career/retirement savings path. I prefer passively managed index funds with low expense ratios but as this is my first time selecting from a company 401k investment options I wanted some advice.

Below are the funds that I am interested in:

American Century Income & Growth Fund - Class A Ticker: AMADX
Fidelity Advisor Equity Income Fund - Class M Ticker: FEIRX
State Street S&P 500 Index Securities Lending Series Fund - Class IX
State Street U.S. Large Cap Active Non-Lending Series Fund - Class J
Janus Henderson Forty Fund - Class S Ticker: JARTX
T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Value Fund - Class R Ticker: RRMVX
Victory RS Value Fund - Class A Ticker: RSVAX

The State Street S&P 500 Index seems to be the best bet given that it is a passively managed index fund with a relatively lower expense ratio. If you could please confirm or deny this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help!

retiredjg

Re: New Job 401k Investment Options

Post by retiredjg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 am

The only fund on the list that I'd consider is the 500 index.

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 am

idoc5 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 am
The State Street S&P 500 Index seems to be the best bet given that it is a passively managed index fund with a relatively lower expense ratio. If you could please confirm or deny this, I would greatly appreciate it.
Without more information and expense ratios, I would agree with you and retiredjg. In most plans, it is generally a good bet that either the large cap/total market US index or the Target Date funds tend to be fiduciary responsible options.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 am

I'd invest in the 500 fund enough to get the employer match then max out your IRA before considering investing additional money in the 401k.