What should I know about high interest loans to family?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
EthanAllen

What should I know about high interest loans to family?

Post by EthanAllen »

I have a brother who needs a loan to help with cash flow for his small business. He has the ability to get small business loans or loans against his invoices but hates the idea of paying others so much in interest. (As an example, he got quoted a factor of 1.25 for a loan against certain invoices). He asked me if I’d be interested in loaning him the money at the same rate that banks are willing to lend to him because he’d rather pay me those insane rates than a bank.

(I know the usual advice about mixing business with family, not loaning money to loved ones, treating any loan to family as a gift and being happy if they ever pay you back...yada yada. I am not looking for advice about that.)

Assume I go forward with this. What are the practical (tax?) implications of loaning family money at a very high interest rate? I just list the money I get back from him as additional “interest” and it will functionally be treated as any other interest income I’d get from my investments?

I want to follow all laws and not looking to get cute by falsely treating this as a gift or whatever. How should I treat a 25% loan to brother? Thanks.
Mountain Doc

Re: What should I know about high interest loans to family?

Post by Mountain Doc »

EthanAllen wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 pm How should I treat a 25% loan...
As a very, very risky investment.

Yes, the interest is taxable. Document the loan terms well if you proceed.
Topic Author
EthanAllen

Post by EthanAllen »

Mountain Doc wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:29 pm
EthanAllen wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 pm How should I treat a 25% loan...
As a very, very risky investment.

Yes, the interest is taxable. Document the loan terms well if you proceed.
Agreed.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

With the rate that high, you should check your state’s usury law to ensure you are OK.

That said, In my mind, I think of family loans as a gift and am pleasantly surprised if I get anything back.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Why isn't he selling his invoices to a factorer?

Simplified article --- https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/small-b ... factoring/

I doubt he would be paying 25% (unless his customers are not creditworthy).
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
EthanAllen

Post by EthanAllen »

7eight9 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 pm Why isn't he selling his invoices to a factorer?

He looked into it...the factor rate quoted to him translates to about 25% per year, hence my hypothetical above.
Topic Author
EthanAllen

Post by EthanAllen »

BuddyJet wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:33 pm With the rate that high, you should check your state’s usury law to ensure you are OK.

That said, In my mind, I think of family loans as a gift and am pleasantly surprised if I get anything back.
Thanks. Had not checked that.
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

Will others in your family be resentful that you accepted high interest from your brother rather than no- or low-interest? I could imagine problems like that occurring on some families.

Andy.
rasta

Post by rasta »

PhilosophyAndrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:01 pm Will others in your family be resentful that you accepted high interest from your brother rather than no- or low-interest? I could imagine problems like that occurring on some families.

Andy.
low or no interest loans to family can cause issues with the IRS, i would worry more about those issues than what family members think.
Topic Author
EthanAllen

Post by EthanAllen »

PhilosophyAndrew wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:01 pm Will others in your family be resentful that you accepted high interest from your brother rather than no- or low-interest? I could imagine problems like that occurring on some families.

Andy.
I doubt anyone else knows and hopefully no one needs to find out. To be honest i am a bit uncomfortable charging him these rates and I offered to loan it to him at 0%. But he turned that down ... he wants to prove to himself and to me that this isn’t about him wanting a break on anything and he is not looking for any special family favor.

He has a lifetime of goodwill and trust built in and I would trust him with my life, and I know I’m probably the last person he’d ever want to let down. And I think he knows that too, which is why I think he doesn’t even come to me with this unless the market is just mispricing the risk here for whatever reason. And I think his annoyance with that is why he wants to just have me fund things at the same rate.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

EthanAllen wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Andy.
I doubt anyone else knows and hopefully no one needs to find out. To be honest i am a bit uncomfortable charging him these rates and I offered to loan it to him at 0%. But he turned that down ... he wants to prove to himself and to me that this isn’t about him wanting a break on anything and he is not looking for any special family favor.

He has a lifetime of goodwill and trust built in and I would trust him with my life, and I know I’m probably the last person he’d ever want to let down. And I think he knows that too, which is why I think he doesn’t even come to me with this unless the market is just mispricing the risk here for whatever reason. And I think his annoyance with that is why he wants to just have me fund things at the same rate.
Sounds like you have a great relationship with your brother which is a beautiful thing. This is the best possible way to screw that up.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

rasta wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm

Andy.
low or no interest loans to family can cause issues with the IRS, i would worry more about those issues than what family members think.
The IRS provides the rates that you can charge family members, called AFRs.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/ ... Rates.html
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

EthanAllen wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 pm
7eight9 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 pm Why isn't he selling his invoices to a factorer?

He looked into it...the factor rate quoted to him translates to about 25% per year, hence my hypothetical above.
So the factor is charging 2 1/8 per month? The factor is accounting for risk in addition to a healthy profit. Realize that most factors get their financing from banks, the factor charges such a high rate to ensure they remain a client of bank. Should financing for them dry up they could be put out of business.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

Tax issues can be avoided if the rate conforms with the appropriate AFR. The last time I checked, maybe five years ago, those rates were extremely low, which makes low-interest infra-familial loans eminently practical.

My concern is with the emotional impact of the high-rate loan within the family. For example, even if no-interest loans are impractical, family members may not understand this or may expect them to be made in an informal undocumented form. Those expectations may be Irrational, but we all know that family schisms can develop for no good reason.

Perhaps everyone in OP’s family would be copacetic if the terms of the loan became widely known in the family, but it would be good to reflect on this in case not.

Andy.

rasta wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm

Andy.
Last edited by PhilosophyAndrew on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:21 pm

I believe the AFR rates are the minimum you need to charge to avoid gift tax implications.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

One of the pieces of advice my parents gave me is "Never do business with friends or relatives." You are liable to lose both your money and the good relationship.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

For your brother’s sake, I hope that he has a business plan that will build enough working capital to avoid taking out 25% loans.

And I hope he builds that capital soon.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

BuddyJet wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:34 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:21 pm

I believe the AFR rates are the minimum you need to charge to avoid gift tax implications.
and not have issues with the IRS as was asked.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I am not a lawyer and only skimmed this article. Basically in CA anything over 10% would be usury if they article is correct. The penalty is severe financially and up to 5 yrs in prison if they nail you for “loan sharking”.

https://nvlawllp.com/wp-content/uploads ... rticle.pdf
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

A good way to smooth out small business cash flow is to put as many expenses as possible on a credit card. You get at least a one month float and a percentage discount on your spending. Having said this (and not to be harsh), if your brother has gotten himself into a position where high interest loans are necessary to keep his business afloat, he might want to reassess whether he will be able to continue as a going concern. If it is just a timing issue then credit cards are a good way to help smooth out cash inflows/outflows. Best of luck!
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

There seem to be a lot of small business loans in the marketplace ranging from 8-10% interest. Is your brother not creditworthy enough to qualify them or is there another reason he can’t go this route?

It’s a little hard to believe that the success rate is high for businesses with such a high cost of capital, cash flow problems, and no access to basic low cost credit, but it’s your money and you know the situation better than me.

And yep, you definitely will be reporting the interest income.