Grabiner's comment seems like a good rule of thumb but had follow up questions:
I'm moving out of NY state to a no-income-tax state (which has no muni bond funds).
- NY muni tax exempt bond funds are with vanguard taxable account
- Cap gains are not that much (a few K's)
- long and short term gains
- Dividends have been set to reinvest (will stop that)
- Are NY muni tax-exempt bond funds Cap Gains tax exempt? (couldn't find the info)
- When is the best time to sell the muni bond funds (before/ after move, doesn't matter, etc.), considering short-term/long-term cap gains
- What are some alternative bond funds for a no-income-tax state? (i.e. long/intermediate tax-exempt national bond funds?)
Thank you in advance!