Is this a good time to invest?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Scobie

Is this a good time to invest?

Post by Scobie »

Recently I was given some money and want to know if this is a good time to invest with all the folks saying we are at the end of a bull market [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]? I was thinking of going with VOO or VTI if I do something. Any ideas or thoughts? Thank you!
delamer

Re: Is this a good time to invest?

Post by delamer »

What is your intended use of the money?
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm Recently I was given some money and want to know if this is a good time to invest with all the folks saying we are at the end of a bull market [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]? I was thinking of going with VOO or VTI if I do something. Any ideas or thoughts? Thank you!!
It is always a great time to invest. VOO or VTI are excellent choices if you prefer to use ETF''s. I use the index fund version of VOO - VFIAX.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm Recently I was given some money and want to know if this is a good time to invest with all the folks saying we are at the end of a bull market [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]? I was thinking of going with VOO or VTI if I do something. Any ideas or thoughts? Thank you!
Old Chinese proverb: The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today.

Or you could ask the president. :happy
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

What does your IPS say? Does it say to market time? I put our annual bonuses into VTWAX on Thursday
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

A downturn has been imminent since 2012. 😉
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Yes.
It is a good time to invest.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Hi Scobie.

I'd like to comment a little.

Investment isn't all about the stock market, whether or not a person thinks it's high, or low, or about to turn the other direction. Notably there is fixed income, often verbally reduced to its subset bonds. High-quality bonds, taken as a whole, are far less volatile than equities.

If you have an enormous amount of money (defined with respect to your own life and circumstances), and need to spend all of it very soon, then very conservative instruments are indicated. If you can reasonably divide it into several not-quite $250,000 chunks bank deposits could make sense.

If you have some money and intend to invest it over a long period of time, and then use it gradually, today's valuations aren't especially important, although it is mandatory to keep in mind in investing, depending on how one goes about it, it is always possible one could lose everything. That's simply true, and there's no intellectually honest way to pretend it isn't.

If there's a long while, decades or more, before you expect to need to spend the very last dollar, then long-term considerations matter far more than short-term ones.

Did that help?

PJW
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

There's an old saying: "the best time to buy stocks is now, the best time to sell stocks is never."

That may not be the definitive answer, but I haven't seen a better answer.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Topic Author
Scobie

Post by Scobie »

Thank you. I am on a fixed income so I do not have a lot of money coming in. The hope is too invest in something conservative but a little better return than my high yield savings at 2%. VOO and VTI seem great, any other recommendations? Thank you!
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

How would you feel about a 50% downturn? You may need to determine your risk level before you invest. Someone always replies that today is the best day to invest a lump sum. It’s always best to determine your ability and need to take risk before you invest.

DMW
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

It's always a good time to invest. The question is what investment is appropriate.
Is the rule of thumb that "money needed in less than 7 years should not be in stocks" too strict?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 pm Thank you. I am on a fixed income so I do not have a lot of money coming in. The hope is too invest in something conservative but a little better return than my high yield savings at 2%. VOO and VTI seem great, any other recommendations? Thank you!
Details. There may be a better answer, but it will depend upon us knowing your details. It may be time for your forum review.

Please consider providing all of the requested information, in the requested format (we're use to looking in specific places to find your information), and we'll try to provide a better answer.
See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

Add to above information.
--What is your annual income from all sources?
--What is your annual cost of living?
--Anything else we should consider?

Recommended books
--The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.
--How to Make Your Money Last, Quinn

Get the books from your local library or through inter-library loan.
Last edited by dratkinson on Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm Recently I was given some money and want to know if this is a good time to invest with all the folks saying we are at the end of a bull market [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]? I was thinking of going with VOO or VTI if I do something. Any ideas or thoughts? Thank you!

Yes, it is a good time to invest.

Holding on to cash while you wait for a better time to invest is likely to give you a negative real return net of inflation and taxes. I think it is better to invest in something with the prospect of a positive real return. Market timing (waiting for a good time to buy) is a fool's errand. No one can successfully do that consistently. If you wait for a good day to buy, you will never know if the next day, or the next week, or the next month, or even the next year might be an even better time to buy.

It was always my policy to invest whenever I had extra money available to invest.

Please read this: "What if you only invested at market peaks?"

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pmI was thinking of going with VOO or VTI if I do something. Any ideas or thoughts? Thank you!
Both Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI) and Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (VOO) are good choices for investing in domestic stocks. My preference would be Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI).

In my opinion an investing question with the word "time" in it is probably the wrong question.

In my opinion the better question is what your asset allocation (stock/bond mix) should be? Include both stocks and bonds, to reduce investing risk. Don't use just a stock fund by itself. Graph, "An Efficient Frontier: the power of diversification". Please see:
1) Wiki article Bogleheads® investment philosophy, part 3 "Never bear too much or too little risk"; and
2) Wiki article, "Asset allocation".
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Yep. Invest away.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 pmVOO and VTI seem great, any other recommendations?
Those both limit their investment to one country. It would be safer to diversify globally, such as with VT.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 pm Thank you. I am on a fixed income so I do not have a lot of money coming in. The hope is too invest in something conservative but a little better return than my high yield savings at 2%. VOO and VTI seem great, any other recommendations? Thank you!
Either of those plus Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF (BND). Investing in just stock funds alone is risky, not conservative.

Or instead Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth Fund (VSCGX), Vanguard Moderate Growth Fund (VSMGX), or Vanguard Target Retirement Income Fund (VTINX).

If all you want is conservative and yielding a little better than a 2% savings account, consider:
1) Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX) current SEC Yield = 2.24%;
2) Vanguard Ultra Short-term Bond Fund (VUBFX) current SEC Yield = 2.42%; or
3) iShares Ultra Short-Term Bond ETF (ICSH) current SEC Yield = 2.58%.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Scobie wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm Recently I was given some money and want to know if this is a good time to invest
Yes. This is a good time to invest.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

You should invest now, consistent with your asset allocation.

Good luck to you...