Best CD Rates?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Jesteroftheswamp

Best CD Rates?

Post by Jesteroftheswamp »

I’m currently looking to diversify a bit into CDs as I feel I am takings too much risk with stock index funds. My portfolio is about 90% diversified stock index funds and 10% bond index fund. I fear that should the market collapse, I will lose a large chunk of my long-term savings.

Who currently offers the best CD rates?
RobLIC

Re: Best CD Rates?

Post by RobLIC »

bankrate.com or depositaccounts.com will offer you all the current rate info you could ever want on retail CDs.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Try this site:

www.bankrate.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

RobLIC wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:56 pm bankrate.com or depositaccounts.com will offer you all the current rate info you could ever want on retail CDs.
+1
hudson

Post by hudson »

Do the above websites show credit unions?
Sometimes credit unions have the best deals.
UPDATE: I'm answering my own question.

depositaccounts.com does credit unions, but you have to know how to ask.
If you want, first choose the CD that you want; then select WEB ONLY and CREDIT UNION.
Go into ADVANCED OPTIONS and select what fits you....in fact check them all.

If you see a CD that you like, investigate membership options. Call them and ask if you can join. Many credit unions want you to join and will coach you into a membership even if it looks like you don't fit.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Meriwest Credit Union of California has a special 15-month CD offer at 2.5% APY.
https://www.meriwest.com/personal/certi ... -promotion
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

hudson

Post by hudson »

JDDS wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:59 am DA's CD summary (from this week)
https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/cd-rates-survey/
Many thanks! Useful information!
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:19 pm Meriwest Credit Union of California has a special 15-month CD offer at 2.5% APY.
FYI - Ally has a 12-month CD at 2.50%. I’ve been laddering those the last few months (along with no-penalty CD’s at both Ally and Marcus bank).
Last edited by MikeG62 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
gator1

Post by gator1 »

MikeG62 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 am
MathIsMyWayr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:19 pm Meriwest Credit Union of California has a special 15-month CD offer at 2.5% APY.
FYI - Ally has a 12-month CD at 2.50%. I’ve been ladder those the last few months (along with no-penalty CD’s at both Ally and Marcus bank).
Ally's was 2.75%. Kicking myself for not throwing in a good chunk of my savings when it was 2.75%.
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

RobLIC wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:56 pm bankrate.com or depositaccounts.com will offer you all the current rate info you could ever want on retail CDs.

When using Bankrate be careful because they will steer you to the banks they get paid for links too.You have to change filter to see all banks they have loaded in database.IMHO www.depositaccounts.com is more transparent

www.andrewsfcu.org has a 8 month 2.86 and 17 month 2.95 I have an account with them and I don't see anything better right now for this duration.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

gator1 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:51 am
MikeG62 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 am
FYI - Ally has a 12-month CD at 2.50%. I’ve been laddering those the last few months (along with no-penalty CD’s at both Ally and Marcus bank).
Ally's was 2.75%. Kicking myself for not throwing in a good chunk of my savings when it was 2.75%.
From time to time, Ally has offered a "select" CD with a slightly higher rate. They did one in February at 2.85% (14-month CD) and another one in May at 2.80% (15-months). I got in on the May CD (wish I had rolled the funds I had on deposit with Ally from their 1% bonus program - which paid out in February - into that earlier CD). At the time, the taxable equivalent yield (to me) on 6-months Treasuries was not all that much lower so I opted to continue rolling 6-month Treasuries. That has not been the case for several months now, so as Treasuries mature I have been rolling the funds into these traditional and no-penalty CD's.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Have you tried you broker of choice? I like having my CDs all in one place with my other investments.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

aristotelian wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:55 am Have you tried you broker of choice? I like having my CDs all in one place with my other investments.
my preference as well, but Vanguard’s best 12-month CD is 2.0% .
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Swimmer wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 am
aristotelian wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:55 am Have you tried you broker of choice? I like having my CDs all in one place with my other investments.
To me it is not worth chasing yield. Among other things, if something unfortunate were to happen, will your spouse know to check all those other banks, and will they allow POD?
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

aristotelian wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:29 am
To me it is not worth chasing yield. Among other things, if something unfortunate were to happen, will your spouse know to check all those other banks, and will they allow POD?
In general I agree with this. However, if you are talking only about concentrating your CD's in one or two banks (in addition to your brokerage account) I think this is less of a worry. My DW has very little involvement (read almost zero) in our finances. However, she knows we have accounts at two online banks and this is all covered in the "what to do should something suddenly happen to me" word document I have prepared (and she has read). Updated it recently after establishing a relationship with a second online bank.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

MikeG62 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 am
In general I agree with this. However, if you are talking only about concentrating your CD's in one or two banks (in addition to your brokerage account) I think this is less of a worry. My DW has very little involvement (read almost zero) in our finances. However, she knows we have accounts at two online banks and this is all covered in the "what to do should something suddenly happen to me" word document I have prepared (and she has read). Updated it recently after establishing a relationship with a second online bank.
What about the POD question?
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

aristotelian wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:25 am
MikeG62 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 am
What about the POD question?
Both online banks I use allow for primary beneficiary designation. Ally allows for contingent beneficiary designation (I do not believe Marcus does though). My estates attorney has advised us not to put contingent beneficiary designation on our accounts anyway as our will is set up to handle that (with disclaimer option and use of Trusts).
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

If you can qualify, Navy Federal Credit Union, has a 5-year CD at 3.5%
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Agree with the statement "if you can qualify" regarding NFCU, but they recently also offered a 3.0% APY 18-month certificate. :moneybag
Tom D.
Elam

Post by Elam »

I was recently able to join the NFCU because I have a relative retired from the military [Korean War era.] I joined over the phone, initially funding my savings account via cc.

Fortunately, there is also a NFCU branch near me here in the Dallas area. I've taken out a 3% 18 month CD and in the process of transferring an IRA into a 3.25% 5 year CD [if that rate holds another week or so.]