Vanguard in Thailand - possible?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
7eight9

Vanguard in Thailand - possible?

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:13 pm

When I was in Thailand earlier this year I tried to access my Vanguard accounts. I was using a Chromebook that had accessed Vanguard right before leaving the United States. I didn't clear the history. At three different resorts I tried to access my account and was not able to log in.

When I got back home I contacted Vanguard to find out if I could access my accounts while in Thailand as I'm considering moving there.

I've received multiple conflicting answers (both by phone and email) and am not sure what is correct. I've been told that I can access my accounts as I normally do (which I know is not correct). That I can access my accounts but not trade. That I can access my accounts (and trade) if I call first. One of my friends suggested that I login with a VPN but I'm not really that computer savvy and don't want to complicate things.

I'm hoping that someone has firsthand experience and can let me know what I can and cannot do from Thailand.

I called Charles Schwab (where I had a savings account) and they informed me that they do have services for overseas investors. Maybe Vanguard has the same sort of arrangement?

Link to Charles Schwab U.S. Expat Essentials --- https://international.schwab.com/public ... essentials
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

typical.investor

Re: Vanguard in Thailand - possible?

Post by typical.investor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Vanguard doesn’t have a similar set up. I’m not in Thailand, but Vanguard froze my accounts for being overseas.

Schwab took me in and that’s where I am. I highly recommend them.

If their ETFs (or their commission free list) don’t meet your needs, it’s $4.95 to trade. Not much especially if you do the commission trades infrequently.

And as for a VPN, I wouldn’t think you’d want to use a free service. They aren’t difficult to use especially for a service like NordVPN which has clients that run in your iPhone or PC. They do run a few bucks per month.
Last edited by typical.investor on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wishy-washy

Post by wishy-washy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:22 pm

I traveled in Thailand last year and had no problem accessing my Vanguard accounts. I’m also considering moving there for a period of time. I wrote them through their internal messaging system advising I was considering this and they wrote back that this would be okay. But that exchange was about 3 years ago. I asked Merrill Edge the same thing and they said I couldn’t maintain my accounts if I lived abroad so I moved those funds to Schwab.

international001

Post by international001 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:53 pm

From this (old) thread I thought you could still keep your Vanguard accounts while overseas. Just have an US mail address

viewtopic.php?t=110773

But I understand also things may be changing for Mutual Funds. But if they give you any problem , you can always move to ETFs:

https://thunfinancial.com/home/american ... osed-2015/

capitalG

Post by capitalG » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 am

If you plan on living in Thailand and accessing US-based accounts (banks, brokerage, credit cards), you’ll need to get a VPN - living in the region now and a lot of US financial sites/apps (even Costco!) block IP addresses from here. Try ExpressVPN or NordVPN, they offer apps that are very easy to setup/use and cost ~$100/year.

CapG
7eight9 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:13 pm
When I was in Thailand earlier this year I tried to access my Vanguard accounts. I was using a Chromebook that had accessed Vanguard right before leaving the United States. I didn't clear the history. At three different resorts I tried to access my account and was not able to log in.

When I got back home I contacted Vanguard to find out if I could access my accounts while in Thailand as I'm considering moving there.

I've received multiple conflicting answers (both by phone and email) and am not sure what is correct. I've been told that I can access my accounts as I normally do (which I know is not correct). That I can access my accounts but not trade. That I can access my accounts (and trade) if I call first. One of my friends suggested that I login with a VPN but I'm not really that computer savvy and don't want to complicate things.

I'm hoping that someone has firsthand experience and can let me know what I can and cannot do from Thailand.

I called Charles Schwab (where I had a savings account) and they informed me that they do have services for overseas investors. Maybe Vanguard has the same sort of arrangement?

Link to Charles Schwab U.S. Expat Essentials --- https://international.schwab.com/public ... essentials

wishy-washy

Post by wishy-washy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:04 am

capitalG wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 am
If you plan on living in Thailand and accessing US-based accounts (banks, brokerage, credit cards), you’ll need to get a VPN - living in the region now and a lot of US financial sites/apps (even Costco!) block IP addresses from here. Try ExpressVPN or NordVPN, they offer apps that are very easy to setup/use and cost ~$100/year.

CapG
This is good advice and I plan to start using vpn on next trip. I didn’t have vpn on my last trip to Bangkok and one of my goals was to see if I could access all of my accounts and I had zero problems accessing every financial account. I think a few required some additional verification and I got some emails advising my account was being accessed from Thailand. But I was unable to access my electric utilities account or my health insurance account.

international001

Post by international001 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:22 am

I think Thailand may rise a flag for possible fraud

I never had problems using my accounts from Europe (maybe just a chat option not available).

VPN all the way!

Also, consider a virtual mailbox and an IP phone with a US number.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:24 pm

I use a T-Mobile phone and seem to be able to open my accounts everywhere when there is a signal. I try to avoid using WIFI which would be local.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:21 pm

Back in 2008, you had to first contact Vanguard by phone to be able to authorize any login to a Vanguard account from Thailand. It was on their unpublished list of unsafe countries. I suspect that might have changed now but, knowing what I know now, I would only use a VPN to access my account from abroad anyway.

capitalG

Post by capitalG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 am

Also good advice - even if you access with a VPN, a lot of financial/commercial websites require 2-factor authentication to login. If you're relocating out of country, agree with the below and add this number as your primary phone number for important accounts.

capG
international001 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:22 am
Also, consider a virtual mailbox and an IP phone with a US number.