Etrade denies promotion on $1 mil new account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
kaneohe

Re: Etrade denies promotion on $1 mil new account

Post by kaneohe »

Wonder if any Ally experiences from the yr end promotion ....1K for 100K. You were supposed to sign up for that one first also.
wonder if there were any exceptions granted if you didn't?
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

SrGrumpy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:21 pm
MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 pm That is sad. Curious to hear if they rectify.
Nothing to rectify.
I'll agree to disagree.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:24 pm
9-5 Suited wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:18 pm
whodidntante wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm I don't understand why you think you would get a bonus that way, OP. They might do it based on goodwill, but that's a lot of goodwill you are asking for. I've done dozens of bank account, credit card, and brokerage bonuses and I've never been burned, but then, I always took the time to read and follow the T&C. Chalk it up to life experience and move on.
How much would you estimate you’ve made from the bank and brokerage (non-credit card) bonuses? Do you feel it was worth the modest hassle vs. just keeping the assets in one place?
You can make $10,000s through promotions. I’ve made over $50,000 opening up accounts over the past 7 years or so.

It’s your choice whether $50,000 is a lot of money to you, and if you are willing to handle hassle for that type of dough.

Personally, it’s the easiest money I’ve ever made.
:thumbsup

We've playing the credit card churn game, and in 2017 alone we netted over $6k in cash and travel rewards. We don't have enough in our IRAs to really play that game yet, but when we do, you'd better believe that we will. Easy money.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 am
TropikThunder wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm E*trade tells you to “always go directly to an organization’s website” and then dings a customer when they do it to them? The “you didn’t follow the rules” crowd would be equally as quick to rip a poster who got scammed by clicking on a link in an unsolicited email.
Clicking a link by itself is rarely likely to be dangerous. You simply need to verify that you are on the correct web site when you land and that it's using https.
And yet tons of people get successfully targeted by phishing attacks. It’s not dangerous if you are careful and know what you are looking for. Best practice, however, is to not click on links in emails, period. At least that’s what I drill into my non-techie relatives and friends.

Especially financial institutions should never require or encourage customers to click on such links. It is just teaching people “bad behavior”.

The OP might want to reach out to the security department at ETrade and ask them what they think about the marketing department’s email practices. CC Krebs on Security.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TravelGeek wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:53 pm
SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 am
TropikThunder wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm E*trade tells you to “always go directly to an organization’s website” and then dings a customer when they do it to them? The “you didn’t follow the rules” crowd would be equally as quick to rip a poster who got scammed by clicking on a link in an unsolicited email.
Clicking a link by itself is rarely likely to be dangerous. You simply need to verify that you are on the correct web site when you land and that it's using https.
And yet tons of people get successfully targeted by phishing attacks. It’s not dangerous if you are careful and know what you are looking for. Best practice, however, is to not click on links in emails, period. At least that’s what I drill into my non-techie relatives and friends.

Especially financial institutions should never require or encourage customers to click on such links. It is just teaching people “bad behavior”.

The OP might want to reach out to the security department at ETrade and ask them what they think about the marketing department’s email practices. CC Krebs on Security.
If your computer is not fully patched (and even sometimes when it IS fully patched, if a new vulnerability is discovered), "clicking on a link" absolutely could be dangerous.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
drk

Post by drk »

^ Keep in mind that there's no evidence substantiating the claim that OP had to click a specific link in the email.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 pm That is sad. Curious to hear if they rectify.
Nothing to rectify.
User name checks out.
DecumulatorDoc

Post by DecumulatorDoc »

Nothing to rectify.
From a customer service standpoint there absolutely is something to rectify. The customer is always right. Agree with others to move somewhere else if not corrected. The fact that this issue is being discussed by many on Bogleheads.org is bad enough PR. It may be enough to make some of us to think twice before using them in the future. :confused
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

DecumulatorDoc wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 amThe customer is always right.
Actually, no.
DecumulatorDoc wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 amThe fact that this issue is being discussed by many on Bogleheads.org is bad enough PR.
Sorry, but this simply delusional.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

This makes me think of seeing something marked down in the grocery store and then checking out with it and finding that for some reason you didn't get the buy one get one free or the 2 dollars off the price.

I am sorry that you didn't manage to jump through enough hoops to get your promotion and that Etrade doesn't seem to be too excited about doing something about it. The grocery store I shop at will make things right if I take the time to call my issue to their attention. I really appreciate that grocery store.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 pm I am sorry that you didn't manage to jump through enough hoops to get your promotion and that Etrade doesn't seem to be too excited about doing something about it. The grocery store I shop at will make things right if I take the time to call my issue to their attention. I really appreciate that grocery store.
Especially since the OP can presumably produce an email to them offering the bonus, i.e., this isn’t a case of someone opening an account and later finding out that a bonus could have been available, E*Trade really should honor this offer.

Anecdotally, from stories E*Trade employee friends told me years ago, I am not too surprised. I had two accounts with them years ago (personal and employee stock; for some reason they couldn’t be combined), and stories like this wouldn’t make it likely for me to consider them in the future.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I am of same thoughts as OP. "Never, Never, not Ever" click on link embedded in an email. Being this was an investment account, makes it even more important. Perhaps, give E*Trade one last chance to make things right, via promotion fulfillment. Try talking to someone in Sr. Leadership role. If no success, then leave as planned. Best way to show your dissatisfaction is to keep them from ever making any money on your account by leaving! :beer
DecumulatorDoc

Post by DecumulatorDoc »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:46 am
DecumulatorDoc wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 amThe customer is always right.
Actually, no.
DecumulatorDoc wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 amThe fact that this issue is being discussed by many on Bogleheads.org is bad enough PR.
Sorry, but this simply delusional.
Delusional? I guess it depends on one's perspective. My guess is that your experience if life led you to place no importance on customer satisfaction. In which case, as previously suggested, your user name is most appropriate.
gougou

Post by gougou »

I opened a Discover Bank account expecting $200 for moving $25K earlier this year. I didn't click the link and they denied me the bonus. They said that the bonus code was not applied during application so there is nothing they can do.

Next time I'll call to ask if the bonus code has been applied before funding the account.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I had an issue with TD Bank. Wife and I opened separate accounts to get a bonus and it took forever to get it sorted and opened.

I got the bonus in mine, but she did not. I was so mad, because we ended up having to go to 2 different branches and be on the phone numerous times to open them.

(I didn't tell her we didn't get the bonus) . Happy wife, happy life.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

E*trade has paid me two bonuses with no issues. They also paid me to take a survey.

But at this point, with a million dollar account, I think OP should transfer out to another brokerage who will pay a bonus. And this time, sign up for the promotion in the right way.