Etrade denies promotion on $1 mil new account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Leroy88

Etrade denies promotion on $1 mil new account

Post by Leroy88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:55 pm

In March I received an email promotion from Etrade offering $3000 for a $1 mil new account. Instead of clicking on the email link to open the new account, I went to the Etrade web page for security reasons to open the account. The account was funded a few weeks later. Recently, I contacted Etrade to see when the promotion would be credited to my account. They are denying the promotion because I did not open the new account through the email link. For the benefit of anyone considering a similar offer, I just wanted to share my experience.

MotoTrojan

Re: Etrade denies promotion on $1 mil new account

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 pm

That is sad. Curious to hear if they rectify.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

I "Don't just do something. Stand there." at Vanguard. It is good enough.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

tj

Post by tj » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Leroy88 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:55 pm
In March I received an email promotion from Etrade offering $3000 for a $1 mil new account. Instead of clicking on the email link to open the new account, I went to the Etrade web page for security reasons to open the account. The account was funded a few weeks later. Recently, I contacted Etrade to see when the promotion would be credited to my account. They are denying the promotion because I did not open the new account through the email link. For the benefit of anyone considering a similar offer, I just wanted to share my experience.
I mean, to be eligible for a promotional offer, it makes sense that you would have to click the promotional link.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Leroy88 wrote:
They tell customers not to click on email links and this promotion is only available via the link? That’s crazy from a security perspective. I hope they honor the offer. I personally don’t chase rewards.

I hope it works out for you.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Well, move your account. That should get their attention.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
Leroy88

Post by Leroy88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:14 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 pm
Well, move your account. That should get their attention.
Over a week's time, I spoke with two different Etrade customer service reps and was asked to email information to a third. They had ample opportunity to decide how they wanted to treat this matter. It is their business to run. I am in the process of transferring the account to Vanguard. Feel a bit embarrassed to originally have been reeled in by that promotion.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:26 pm

I agree Etrade’s action in this case is not customer-friendly, although strictly speaking they are within their rights.

I also agree this gets confusing with the advice (given us by the same financial institutions) to never click on emailed links. My suggestion for promotional links: right click on the link to examine it to make sure it doesn’t take you to another site, or copy it and paste it into a Word doc. (Behavior varies by browser.) Make sure not just that it contains the expected site name (e.g., www.etrade.someothersite.com) but that the domain name actually ends in the site you expect. This doesn’t always work, as many companies use links to third-party sites for their marketing/promotions. Often there’s an alternative to using the link, by entering a promo code. This will tend to be in the fine print, which one should read very carefully in any case.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm

I don't understand why you think you would get a bonus that way, OP. They might do it based on goodwill, but that's a lot of goodwill you are asking for. I've done dozens of bank account, credit card, and brokerage bonuses and I've never been burned, but then, I always took the time to read and follow the T&C. Chalk it up to life experience and move on.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:13 pm

tj wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:35 pm
Leroy88 wrote:
I mean, to be eligible for a promotional offer, it makes sense that you would have to click the promotional link.
Not unless that is expressly stated in the promotional email that you must use the promotional link in thevemail.

It is very reasonable to instead go to the website, on the chance the email is a hoax and to ensure you are not being phished.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:18 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm
I don't understand why you think you would get a bonus that way, OP. They might do it based on goodwill, but that's a lot of goodwill you are asking for. I've done dozens of bank account, credit card, and brokerage bonuses and I've never been burned, but then, I always took the time to read and follow the T&C. Chalk it up to life experience and move on.
How much would you estimate you’ve made from the bank and brokerage (non-credit card) bonuses? Do you feel it was worth the modest hassle vs. just keeping the assets in one place?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:24 pm

9-5 Suited wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:18 pm
whodidntante wrote:
How much would you estimate you’ve made from the bank and brokerage (non-credit card) bonuses? Do you feel it was worth the modest hassle vs. just keeping the assets in one place?
You can make $10,000s through promotions. I’ve made over $50,000 opening up accounts over the past 7 years or so.

It’s your choice whether $50,000 is a lot of money to you, and if you are willing to handle hassle for that type of dough.

Personally, it’s the easiest money I’ve ever made.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:25 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:13 pm
tj wrote:
Leroy88 wrote:
Not unless that is expressly stated in the promotional email that you must use the promotional link in thevemail.

It is very reasonable to instead go to the website, on the chance the email is a hoax and to ensure you are not being phished.
In general, I don't think there's much risk from merely clicking a link (especially since most large email providers will flag dangerous links). However, one should verify the site is https and the SSL cert for the web site one lands on.

OP -- Instead of Vanguard, you might want to consider moving to TDAM or even Fidelity if you want a bonus. Fidelity does give out bonuses for $1M+ accounts occasionally, but typically only once.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:24 pm
9-5 Suited wrote:
You can make $10,000s through promotions. I’ve made over $50,000 opening up accounts over the past 7 years or so.

It’s your choice whether $50,000 is a lot of money to you, and if you are willing to handle hassle for that type of dough.

It's probably getting harder to do brokerage bonuses though. Fidelity and Schwab seem to be once in a lifetime now, and there's been some consolidation with Scottrade gone.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Leroy88 wrote:
When I get my first investable million I will remember that. :beer

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Every bonus I have ever applied had very clear T&C. If you don't follow them you won't get the bonus.

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:01 pm

@Leroy88 I'm no VIP or anything but I do have a contact at Etrade that has always treated me and colleagues well, if you would like contact info PM me

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Etrade always has a bonus offer on their site and it looks like to me that the Open Account link on that page is no different than the Open Account link on their home page where the bonus offer is not listed

https://us.etrade.com/what-we-offer/how ... /brokerage

sc9182

Post by sc9182 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 pm

You might as well ask for retention bonus, or else!!

TDAmeritrade believe still has $2500 promo, do speak to a local (or regional) rep and have/save some notes/email thread for your record.

Topic Author
Leroy88

Post by Leroy88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:33 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
tj wrote:
Leroy88 wrote:

Nowhere in the email offer or fine print did it state that new account had to be opened through the embedded link. Mama always said that I was her stupid child, but I am not dumb enough to click on an email link and transfer a million dollar account to Timbuktu or wherever. I did make the erroneous assumption that the promotion would apply to a new account opened in any fashion. I did not protest or quibble with Etrade's decision. Time to move on.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Lesson learnt move on 🤪

drk

Post by drk » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:50 pm

You have another opportunity here: find another offer out there, call up E*Trade, and say that you'll stay if they match that offer. Moving to Vanguard won't make that happen because it doesn't offer such bonuses.

Juice3

Post by Juice3 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 pm

It is a shame e*trade and others treat new customers better than existing customers.

I think we have seen some history about how that usually works out in the long run.

J

mottooscillator

Post by mottooscillator » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Are you worried about a spear phishing attack? Something else?

https://usa.kaspersky.com/resource-cent ... r-phishing

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Leroy88 wrote:
Well, often times, companies also have instructions on how to take advantage of the promotion without clicking on the link.

I mean, with such a large promotion, you kind of want to ensure that you are getting it SOONER rather than later.

I have done a few promotions recently, and in all the cases, I ensure that I get a confirmation screen, and call in 2-3 days to re-confirm.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

abyan

Post by abyan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:21 pm

I agree that they should have honored it. A new customer is a new customer. Requiring an email link be clicked is obnoxious. As for it being safe to click on emails, that’s how all those emails got stolen in 2016, by clicking a link in an email. It is by no means safe. Especially one from a financial institution, I’d never trust that.

tj

Post by tj » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
tj wrote:
Leroy88 wrote:

It probably was specified in the email. Targeted offers are exactly that...

Topic Author
Leroy88

Post by Leroy88 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm

tj wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
tj wrote:
Leroy88 wrote:

It probably was specified in the email. Targeted offers are exactly that...
Again, it was not specified that the new account had to be opened through the email link. All references, even in the fine print, were simply to opening a new account. Besides, what person is going to click on an email link and then enter all of their personal account information?

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm

It’s just silly for a financial institution to insist that you have to click on a link in an unsolicited email to be eligible for a promotion when there own security policy tells you not to do that. From e*trade (emphasis added):
- Be suspicious of email attachments from unknown sources, as well as emails that convey a sense of urgency, asking you to click links or download attachments. Instead of clicking links in emails, you can always go directly to an organization's website by typing its address into your browser.
- Verify the legitimacy of emails by calling the sending organization directly through a trusted contact number before you click links or open attachments.
https://us.etrade.com/security-center#tab_3

E*trade tells you to “always go directly to an organization’s website” and then dings a customer when they do it to them? The “you didn’t follow the rules” crowd would be equally as quick to rip a poster who got scammed by clicking on a link in an unsolicited email.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 pm

9-5 Suited wrote:
whodidntante wrote:
I only do the "best" offers in terms of return for time spent, but even so, I earn enough to fully fund my Roth IRA contribution each year. It's worth it to me. In fact, it's like a game in that:

1) you have to understand the rules (T&C)
2) there is a risk of loss. E.g. your organization fails you and you miss a bonus, etc. If you go too hard, you can start to encounter issues with blacklisting in various forms (like 5/24 from Chase, AmEx RAT, and ChexSystems sensitive banks turn their nose at you). And if you aren't disciplined you waste money or get in over your head.
3) there is a reward for getting it right
4) you are better off if you use strategic thinking, hunt a little, and are selective

The only real downside for me is #2. So far, I have made no mistakes, but it's just a matter of time. Total gain has probably been 20 grand in new account bonuses and spending bonuses, not counting certain smaller bonuses like the normal rewards points for credit card spend. Some of it is taxable, but bonuses credited to an IRA or that count as a "rebate" are not.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Leroy88 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Again, it was not specified that the new account had to be opened through the email link. All references, even in the fine print, were simply to opening a new account. Besides, what person is going to click on an email link and then enter all of their personal account information?
I agree that they should have had the Exception team, or whatever E*TRADE calls it, give you the bonus.

However, for your future reference, every bonus/promo be it for bank, brokerage or credit card I have done required that I enroll in the promo at the the time of account opening or before funding. They have no way of knowing otherwise that I am expecting a promotion and more specifically, which promotion and under which rules. Sometimes, you might need to go through a special link on the institution’s website or enter a code. I did receive a targeted E*TRADE promotion with a link to click through. I felt as you did that it was a crazy way to do it. I called by phone to have the promotion added to my account as I too was not going through the link. I also explained my concern about this marketing set up. Apparently, they have not changed their ways. I did, however, receive my bonus.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:09 am

This is 80-90% on Etrade. It is unsafe to click on a link to log in anywhere—especially a financial site—so they should have included a promo code in the email. What next? After you’ve opened an Etrade account, Etrade sends you important updates that you can only access by clicking on the email to log in? So, I would would move my account for their poor IT practices alone and tell them so.

That said, I would never open an account from the main page expecting a bonus. I would find out the specific promo page by searching or calling the institution. For example, in this case, it might be something like “etrade.com/3k_bonus_offer” or something like that. I would not expect the bonus otherwise. Also, take screen shots during log in and save them.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:37 am

Move the funds to Ameritrade. I believe they have a $2,500 promotion going now. After the required holding period, I believe one year, transfer the funds to ETrade. This time make sure you do it in the manner prescribed to get your $3,000 bonus.

Alex GR

Post by Alex GR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:24 pm
9-5 Suited wrote:
whodidntante wrote:

Hi,
Can you explain how? $50k is a lot of money to me but it seems like you can only do it once with each brokerage?

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 am

TropikThunder wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm
E*trade tells you to “always go directly to an organization’s website” and then dings a customer when they do it to them? The “you didn’t follow the rules” crowd would be equally as quick to rip a poster who got scammed by clicking on a link in an unsolicited email.
Clicking a link by itself is rarely likely to be dangerous. You simply need to verify that you are on the correct web site when you land and that it's using https.

Also I know it's locking the barn door, but it's typically worth sending a secure message to Customer Support after account creation to verify that you are enrolled.

sc9182

Post by sc9182 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:04 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 am
TropikThunder wrote:
Clicking a link by itself is rarely likely to be dangerous. You simply need to verify that you are on the correct web site when you land and that it's using https.

Also I know it's locking the barn door, but it's typically worth sending a secure message to Customer Support after account creation to verify that you are enrolled.
Good idear to keep a record of discussion and having a message thread saved for any reference. But do mind that most of the ‘secured messages’ are on their own servers, and you can/may lose access to it on a moment’s notice!
Last edited by sc9182 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:08 am

Alex GR wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 am
Hi,
Can you explain how? $50k is a lot of money to me but it seems like you can only do it once with each brokerage?
Perhaps if you have $1,000,000s to move around you can do it with just brokerages but I’ve done it with combination of checking, savings, credit cards, and brokerage bonuses. In fact only just did my first brokerage bonus this year and look forward to tapping this market to the fullest.

Helps to have a spouse so you can double almost every opportunity.

owenmia

Post by owenmia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:13 am

You should move it.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 am

Credit Card signup bonus may work the same way. Either you need to use an email link, promo code, or specific site/url when applying, or you might not be actually signed up for the bonus. Usually no way to know either, unless you call/email a CC rep to be sure.

I'd ask them to try and keep a customer by giving you the promo, or say goodbye.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:47 am

.3%, you didn't miss out on much at least.

PluckyDucky

Post by PluckyDucky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:55 am

TropikThunder wrote:
It’s just silly for a financial institution to insist that you have to click on a link in an unsolicited email to be eligible for a promotion when there own security policy tells you not to do that. From e*trade (emphasis added):
- Be suspicious of email attachments from unknown sources, as well as emails that convey a sense of urgency, asking you to click links or download attachments. Instead of clicking links in emails, you can always go directly to an organization's website by typing its address into your browser.
- Verify the legitimacy of emails by calling the sending organization directly through a trusted contact number before you click links or open attachments.
https://us.etrade.com/security-center#tab_3

This. If the email or promo terms did not have any fine print saying you have to click the email link, it's a slam dunk small claims case.

Sue em in small claims on the principal of the matter. :twisted:

rascott

Post by rascott » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:17 am

Ally will pay you $2500, for $1m. I found their transfer system dead easy. Took me all of about 15 kind to open the account and initiate the transfers. It was all transferred in matter of days.

No need to click on any email. Just to a quick search for their promotion page.

dave_k

Post by dave_k » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:33 am

Very stupid on the part of Etrade. It's not worth the bad customer relations to be that picky about it and refuse to honor something they advertised they are willing to do. And you're right to be cautious about clicking links in unsolicited emails.

Fidelity has free trade bonuses for transferring $100k. I think there's something they want you to do ahead of time to apply for it, but I've had no problems calling them after the fact and getting them to apply the free trades. The first time was months later, since I didn't even know about the bonus at the time. Much better customer service/relations.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am

Leroy88 wrote:
Move to Schwab they will match offer.

CRTR

Post by CRTR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 am

In the past couple years, I've moved 3 accounts to ETrade and did NOT use any promotional links. In each case, I received the bonus.
You will receive a personal representative with a transfer of that size. Ask him/her to take care of it. Nice thing about my rep is that 1 quick phone call always takes of things.

Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 am

A similar thing happened to me earlier this year. I already had an Etrade account, but there was a promo like this which was was emailed to me, containing a link. I transferred in $50K from an outside company DRIP plan but logged in as usual to my Etrade account. I, too, am leery about using random links emailed to me, even from trusted sources, even if I examine long headers, etc.
I expected to get the $250 or whatever for the transfer, but several months later when it had not appeared, logged in and used the "chat" option to speak with a customer service rep. Of course, they had expected me to use the promo link and hence no credit. I was firm but polite, explaining my reluctance to use my login credentials with a link contained in an email. The rep sent it "upstairs" for a review, and they agreed to credit me the $250 (or whatever it was) Like you, I could NOT find anything at all in the email specifying that I HAD TO use the link to receive the bonus, though I did not push on that topic.
I thought that in the end I received correct, and good, customer service. Now. That may be easier for them to swallow than $3K.
But I would push them pretty hard, especially if you can demonstrate a willingness to move to TDA or another broker who has a current bonus.
Cheers

fufgirl

Post by fufgirl » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:46 pm

I had an issue last year with Fidelity where I absolutely DID click through all of the proper links to get a promotional credit for opening an account, and still did not receive the bonus. Maybe I did something wrong? Well, I helped another open their account for the promotion, and they got their bonus without issue, so I am/was aware of the requirements. They gave all sorts of excuses for why I was ineligible (which weren't backed up by the terms at all), then settled on "you didn't click through properly". Anyway, definitely move out of any place that will operate in such a shady matter, especially considering such a large account.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Wiggums wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 pm
Leroy88 wrote:
They tell customers not to click on email links and this promotion is only available via the link? That’s crazy from a security perspective. I hope they honor the offer. I personally don’t chase rewards.

I hope it works out for you.
Most of the credit card reward offers I get have a promotional code that you can enter on the website which allows you to get an offer even if you don't "click through". But if OP was a new customer how did Etrade get the email address?

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Have you escalated to a supervisor? Sometimes the CSRs don't have the power to do stuff.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:21 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 pm
That is sad. Curious to hear if they rectify.
Nothing to rectify.