Direct rollover My529 (UT) -> Vanguard (NV): should I do it?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
walletless

Direct rollover My529 (UT) -> Vanguard (NV): should I do it?

Post by walletless » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:12 pm

For my 7 year old, I have a 529 with UT (My529.org). I have set it to the age-based aggressive global plan which I am quite happy with.

Recently I switched employers, and my new employer has their 401K with Vanguard. This has given me an opportunity to consolidate everything into Vanguard. I have already rolled over my previous 401K's into Vanguard, and all my other non-taxable/Roth and Taxable/Brokerage accounts are at Vanguard.... except the 529 account above.

I am really contemplating moving from My529 to Vanguard's Aggressive age-based plan. The fee difference is minimal, and not the deciding factor here (with a difference of ~0.02 I do not think that will matter much). However, Vanguard's age-based aggressive plan only consists of stocks and bonds, whereas My529's plan starts holding more cash-equivalent assets as the kid gets closer to 18 years age. This is the main factor that I am contemplating on whether I should do the rollover or not.

So my question to all you fine Bogleheads is this - does the difference of holding bonds vs. principle preservation assets really make a large difference. Should I over-index on that when considering whether to consolidate everything under one roof?

Tyler Aspect

Re: Direct rollover My529 (UT) -> Vanguard (NV): should I do it?

Post by Tyler Aspect » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I would also look at NY 529 Direct Plan. It might be slightly better than Utah's offering.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Direct rollover My529 (UT) -> Vanguard (NV): should I do it?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:42 pm

walletless wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:12 pm
For my 7 year old, I have a 529 with UT (My529.org). I have set it to the age-based aggressive global plan which I am quite happy with.

Recently I switched employers, and my new employer has their 401K with Vanguard. This has given me an opportunity to consolidate everything into Vanguard. I have already rolled over my previous 401K's into Vanguard, and all my other non-taxable/Roth and Taxable/Brokerage accounts are at Vanguard.... except the 529 account above.

I am really contemplating moving from My529 to Vanguard's Aggressive age-based plan. The fee difference is minimal, and not the deciding factor here (with a difference of ~0.02 I do not think that will matter much). However, Vanguard's age-based aggressive plan only consists of stocks and bonds, whereas My529's plan starts holding more cash-equivalent assets as the kid gets closer to 18 years age. This is the main factor that I am contemplating on whether I should do the rollover or not.

So my question to all you fine Bogleheads is this - does the difference of holding bonds vs. principle preservation assets really make a large difference. Should I over-index on that when considering whether to consolidate everything under one roof?
I hold the MY529plan, if you don't like the age-based offerings because they use cash equivalent accounts, one could always create their own custom mix. Choosing which assets you hold and at what percentages. At one time I held their age based allocation plan, but didn't like how conservative it became after they tinkered with it a couple of years ago - so I created my own custom mix. You could do that, or you could move it to Vanguard - but there are no assurances that Vanguard won't tinker with the formula either.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions