Math Question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
bck63
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Math Question

Post by bck63 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 pm

If international stocks represent 25% of a fund, and all stocks represent 73% of a fund, what is the algebraic formula for calculating the percentage of international stocks as it relates to the total stock portion?

In other words, how the heck do I figure this out? Can someone help me? I am arithmetically challenged.

User avatar
747driver
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Math Question

Post by 747driver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Man I hate story problems. :D
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

JasonA1987
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by JasonA1987 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 pm

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculat ... entage.php

Calculators are the greatest tool ever!
Last edited by JasonA1987 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xanadu
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by Xanadu » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:00 pm

25 / 73 = 34%

Xanadu
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by Xanadu » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 pm

And I’ve only had one beer so I think that’s right

Boglegrappler
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

Re: Math Question

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 pm

If I understand the facts correctly, equities are 73% of the fund and international equites are 25% of the fund.

Consequently, international equities are 25/73 of the equities component of the fund, or 34.25% of the equities in the fund.

Topic Author
bck63
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by bck63 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:09 pm

You guys are the best. Thank you.

Topic Author
bck63
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by bck63 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 pm

747driver wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 pm
Man I hate story problems. :D
Me too :sharebeer

User avatar
grabiner
Advisory Board
Posts: 24594
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Columbia, MD

Re: Math Question

Post by grabiner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 pm

747driver wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 pm
Man I hate story problems. :D
The way to solve them is to translate English to math first, then solve the math.

X = fund value
Y = stock portion of fund
Z = international stock portion of fund

Goal: find Z/Y.

Y=.73X
Z=.25X
Z/Y = .25/.73 = .34
Wiki David Grabiner

User avatar
747driver
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Math Question

Post by 747driver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Ah, I was translating them into Klingon first. Your way is much better. :P
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

rossington
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 am
Location: Florida Suncoast

Re: Math Question

Post by rossington » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:08 am

bck63 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 pm
If international stocks represent 25% of a fund, and all stocks represent 73% of a fund, what is the algebraic formula for calculating the percentage of international stocks as it relates to the total stock portion?

In other words, how the heck do I figure this out? Can someone help me? I am arithmetically challenged.
25% fund value/73% fund value
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.

Topic Author
bck63
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by bck63 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:47 am

Thank you again, all. Much appreciated.

I supposed I shouldn't open a can of worms ask whether that's enough international stock. :twisted:

kaneohe
Posts: 5713
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by kaneohe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 am

bck63 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 pm
If international stocks represent 25% of a fund, and all stocks represent 73% of a fund, what is the algebraic formula for calculating the percentage of international stocks as it relates to the total stock portion?

In other words, how the heck do I figure this out? Can someone help me? I am arithmetically challenged.
for some it may help to translate the % into numbers:

Fund is $1000
Intl is 25% = $250
stocks are 73% = $730
%intl= $ intl/stock$ = 250/730= 0.34 = 34%

Topic Author
bck63
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Re: Math Question

Post by bck63 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:12 am

kaneohe wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 am
bck63 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 pm
If international stocks represent 25% of a fund, and all stocks represent 73% of a fund, what is the algebraic formula for calculating the percentage of international stocks as it relates to the total stock portion?

In other words, how the heck do I figure this out? Can someone help me? I am arithmetically challenged.
for some it may help to translate the % into numbers:

Fund is $1000
Intl is 25% = $250
stocks are 73% = $730
%intl= $ intl/stock$ = 250/730= 0.34 = 34%
Thank you.

Post Reply