ROTH IRA question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
El Greco

ROTH IRA question

Post by El Greco » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi all:

I'm planning to retire next year and will have no earned income, however my spouse will continue to work. We file MFJ. Will we both still be able to contribute to our ROTH IRA accounts based on her earned income?

Duckie

Re: ROTH IRA question

Post by Duckie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:47 pm

El Greco wrote:I'm planning to retire next year and will have no earned income, however my spouse will continue to work. We file MFJ. Will we both still be able to contribute to our ROTH IRA accounts based on her earned income?
Yes.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes you can.

VACat07

Post by VACat07 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:49 pm

Yes. I no longer work (but my husband does) and we've been funding a ROTH IRA for me for years. Of course, this assumes you're under the income limits.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Yes. My wife hasn't had earned income in a decade, but she can still contribute to her IRA. Look up 'spousal IRA rules'.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Yes, as long as your spouse's taxable earned income is at least as much as the amount you contribute to all your IRAs combined.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/pl ... ion-limits
If you file a joint return, you may be able to contribute to an IRA even if you did not have taxable compensation as long as your spouse did. The amount of your combined contributions can’t be more than the taxable compensation reported on your joint return. See the formula in IRS Publication 590-A.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Topic Author
El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Thank you all.