[ETF vs. Mutual Fund questions]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
looking

[ETF vs. Mutual Fund questions]

Post by looking » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm

hello BH
Can I change from VG ETF to VG MF( mutual fund). My all portfolios are VG ETFs.
One thing if I change from ETF to MF then all the dividend go into my bank account
Anyone comment on it or thought my thinking is right or wrong??.

mhalley

Re: can i change from ETFs to ( mf) mutual fund

Post by mhalley » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:38 pm

You can convert vanguard mf to ETFs, but not ETFs to mf. You have to sell the etf and buy the mf. I think you can have etf dividends transferred to a bank, but am not 100% sure.
Last edited by mhalley on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:42 pm

looking wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm
hello BH
One thing if I change from ETF to MF then all the dividend go into my bank account
Why can't dividends from your ETF's be directed towards the same "destination/account" as dividends from Mutual Funds?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
looking

which is better ETF or MF ???

Post by looking » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi all

What is the bottom line, all ETF or all mutual fund as once portfolio? Is tax saving is better for ETF than MF or index tracking?. I never learn ----any comments or thoughts.

Thank you in advance

livesoft

Re: which is better ETF or MF ???

Post by livesoft » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Here is the bottom line, which should be the end of the discussions:

Both are better. I use both at the same time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 pm

At Vanguard there is no difference in the tax efficiency of the "mutual" or Exchange Traded version of a fund. For many people, the mechanics of buying and selling the "mutual fund" shares are easier than dealing with ETFs.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 am

Dale_G wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 pm
At Vanguard there is no difference in the tax efficiency of the "mutual" or Exchange Traded version of a fund. For many people, the mechanics of buying and selling the "mutual fund" shares are easier than dealing with ETFs.

Dale
Assuming of course the fund has an ETF share class. Not all funds at Vanguard do.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 am

My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Old_Dollar

Post by Old_Dollar » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 am

Mutual funds are superior in my opinion for the boglehead approach. ETFs provide a greater ability to time the market. The "pull" to try to time the market is something I've certainly felt. I like mutual funds simply because the vehicles helps put another barrier in between me and the scourge of market timing.
I am here solely to learn about investing.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 am

Here is a current, spirited and incredibly insightful debate on the subject:

viewtopic.php?p=4594690

Pay special attention to the topic linked within it:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25211&p=298211
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

bgf

Post by bgf » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:54 am

looking wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 pm
Hi all

What is the bottom line, all ETF or all mutual fund as once portfolio? Is tax saving is better for ETF than MF or index tracking?. I never learn ----any comments or thoughts.

Thank you in advance
this is a place to come and learn, and i dont want to downplay your question, but its probably one of the least important decisions you'll make with respect to investing.

if you follow the BH philosophy, you will do well regardless.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:01 am

bgf wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:54 am
its probably one of the least important decisions you'll make with respect to investing.
And the least important decisions tend to lead to the most heated arguments, as the thread linked in a previous post demonstrates. :wink:
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

bgf

Post by bgf » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:02 am

22twain wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:01 am
bgf wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:54 am
its probably one of the least important decisions you'll make with respect to investing.
And the least important decisions tend to lead to the most heated arguments, as the thread linked in a previous post demonstrates. :wink:
i will NEVER get that time back...
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:33 am

Dale_G wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Dale
For many people, the mechanics of buying/selling ETFs are easier to deal with than MFs. Also, the commission to buy/sell an ETF is typically much lower.

For me, the main advantage of ETFs is that they are much more portable, facilitating the ability to change brokers should the need arise. I own a mix of MFs and ETFs, all Vanguard, but not in Vanguard accounts. I was originally all MFs, including many Admiral class MFs, and found that I could no longer easily buy or move Vanguard Admiral class MFs; that precipitated the conversion.

In fact , the relative ease of ETF trades is the reason some favor MFs, because they fear that ETFs will cause them to sink to the depths of market timers or even day traders. Other than automatic dividend reinvestment, I only trade bot ETFs and MFs to correct AA, usually twice a year. I've been able to resist the evil tendency to draw the ETF owner into excessive trading that the MF proponents say are the downfall of ETF traders. :twisted:

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:38 am

As others have said, my experience with the 2 brokers I've used indicate that ETF and MF dividends can be managed exactly the same way. Each individual holding can be set to either dividend reinvest or flow into my account as cash. I can also set up the account to either sweep into a ~2% MM account or to my personal checking.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:50 am

looking wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 pm
Hi all

Thank you in advance
At Vanguard the Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) is a share class of the traditional mutual fund, they are equal in tax-efficiency, and both are very tax-efficient.

Both the traditional mutual fund and ETF are good. My own personal preference is traditional mutual funds rather than ETFs. I have no need for intra-day trading.

At Vanguard the expense ratios for are either the same or 0.01% lower for ETFs. On a $3,000 investment that means a difference of $0.30 per year.

In my opinion traditional mutual funds are easier to use and have simpler trading mechanics. With traditional mutual funds you can buy or sell fractional shares, you can easily exchange between funds in an account in a single transaction, you can easily set up automatic investment, and you can easily set up automatic reinvestment of dividends and gains. Wiki article, "ETFs vs Mutual Funds".

The choice of traditional mutual fund or ETF is largely a matter of personal preference.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:03 am

looking wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm
hello BH
You can have ETF dividends sent to your bank acvount .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:11 am

Old_Dollar wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 am
I like mutual funds simply because the vehicles helps put another barrier in between me and the scourge of market timing.
+1

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [ETF vs. Mutual Fund questions]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:07 am

Hi looking,

Creating a new thread for each question makes it very difficult for us to help you. I have combined your ETF vs. Mutual Fund questions together into a single thread.

Please ask all of your questions in this thread.

Thank you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 am

They are exactly the same. There is no difference between them. Zero. It does not matter at all. It is entirely personal preference. People who familiar with things like bank accounts often prefer mutual funds. People who are already familiar with buying and selling stocks often prefer ETFs.

"They are the same" is much closer to the truth then "they are different." "They are the same" is about 99% true.

The other 1% is angels-dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin stuff. It isn't even "which is better, Toyota or Honda?" It is more like "Which is better, a silver Toyota Camry or a pearl Toyota Camry?"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:28 am

Looking, you have been posting on this forum for many years about changes you are thinking about making to your portfolio. I would not make more changes.

Topic Author
looking

which is better,fidelity or schwab ??

Post by looking » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 pm

hello BH

I have vanguard account and want to open another account, . which is better fidelity or Schwab ??

best wishes

looking

student

Re: which is better,fidelity or schwab ??

Post by student » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 pm

What are you looking for in a brokerage firm? In my experience, they are very similar and I think either one will work for most people.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:14 pm

looking wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 pm
hello BH

I have vanguard account and want to open another account, . which is better fidelity or Schwab ??

best wishes

looking
I don't have experience with Schwab. I'm very happy with Fidelity. I use their Cash Management Account for practically all my finances, in addition to having about 1/3 of my investments there.

I love Vanguard. If they had a cash management service I'd have everything there. You have to be careful at Fidelity and use only low-cost index funds. They have a lot of expensive, actively managed funds that can be appealing on the face of it and easily suck you in. Here is a list of Fidelity index funds. If you choose Fidelity, stick with these:

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/i ... ndex-funds

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi looking,

I have merged your account question into here. As I've stated earlier, please post all of your investment questions in this thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 pm

looking wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:01 pm

hello BH

best wishes

looking
What kind of account(s) do you currently have at Vanguard?

Why do you want another account? What kind of account do you want, and why?

Topic Author
looking

which is better schwab or fedelity ???

Post by looking » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:24 pm

I have vanguard account now and like to have another one,, which is better Schwab or fidelity ???

thank you

retiredjg

Re: which is better schwab or fedelity ???

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:27 pm

They both get good reviews. Schwab seems to be a very good provider in the ETF space and an OK provider in the mutual fund space. If you prefer mutual funds, Fidelity is likely to be the better choice.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:35 pm

looking wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:24 pm
I have vanguard account now and like to have another one,, which is better Schwab or fidelity ???

thank you
Fidelity is much better than Schwab.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:35 pm
looking wrote:

thank you
Fidelity is much better than Schwab.
Just curious, can you expound on that?
Thanks!
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:49 pm

I have been with Schwab for over a year now, and I really like my advisor and the fund choices. I really like the 24/7 customer support. (Sometimes I want to make a trade at midnight!!)

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:59 pm

+1 fidelity.

I like the website. Easier to use than Vanguard. Great mutual fund options including zero fee/zero minimum index funds.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm

looking wrote:

thank you
Why do you want to add another account/ brokerage account? What specific “improvement” are you looking for?
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Schwab is excellent and I have heard great things about Fidelity as well. Flip a coin.

Topic Author
looking

which is better schwab or fedelity ??

Post by looking » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 pm

I have a vangurd account now and want to open another account---which is better Schwab or fidelity ???

thank you

Topic Author
looking

which is better schwab or fedelity

Post by looking » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 pm

I’m retired and now I have VG account and want to open another account, which is better Schwab or fidelity????.

thank you

Lemonaid56

Re: which is better schwab or fedelity

Post by Lemonaid56 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:56 pm

I like Fido.
Fast loading of the website. Has all the info and research I need.
Never tried Schwab but compared to many sites I have used Fido seems the most reliable to me.
Everyone will have an opinion.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:56 pm

looking wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 pm
I’m retired and now I have VG account and want to open another account, which is better Schwab or fidelity????.

thank you
Fidelity by far. I have experience with and I no longer trust Schwab. Best of luck.

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:57 pm

If you are retired, it might be better to consolidate all accounts in one brokerage firm rather than opening accounts at other brokerages. Any specific reason that you want to look outside of Vanguard?

drk

Post by drk » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:59 pm

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:00 pm

looking wrote:
I think they are comparable. You may want to pick one with an office close to your house.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:56 pm
looking wrote:

thank you
Fidelity by far. I have experience with and I no longer trust Schwab. Best of luck.
Wow, interesting. Can you elaborate? (Without, of course, divulging anything identifiable.)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:06 pm

looking wrote:

thank you
I have both.

I'm not sure which is "better", but you have to research which one's fits your needs "better".
Either might not fit someone else, so you have to check.

Suggestions:

1. Shop for which brokerage has a family of no fee in house funds that you might need. Compare expense ratios. Etc.
2. Look at each site and see which webpage interface works for you better for what you need.
3. Both have similar account features, checking, etc.
4. If you are going to hold cash, then look at the fixed funds and compare: money market, treasury fund, etc.
5. If you are going to hold other "fixed" such as CD's and CD Ladders, then look at each and see what they offer, how easy the interface is to use, etc.
6. Both are able to have ACH transfer setups between them and Vanguard, and also between them and your banks. However, in this regard, Schwab has a better interface to set this up. IMHO.
7. Finally, both have a network of physical branch locations. You might want to check where they are around you and which one you prefer in that regard.
8. Both have advisors. My experience with Schwab advisors/reps has been mixed. But, I don't deal with any anyway and do everything online so that's irrelevant. Both have been fine otherwise, no sales calls, etc. As an aside, there was a TD Ameritrade Rep that called me 1-2x/month and never let up. I closed that account.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:07 pm

OP, please supply definition of "better."

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:09 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:07 pm
more attractive, favorable, or commendable: in better circumstances

more advantageous or effective: a better solution

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:12 pm

Lemonaid56 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:56 pm
I like Fido.
Fast loading of the website. Has all the info and research I need.
Never tried Schwab but compared to many sites I have used Fido seems the most reliable to me.
Everyone will have an opinion.
+1
Fidelities website is very efficient. No glossy pictures and AARP looking sales pages. Just pure data and very quick.

But, I have both.

(your avatar is broken)
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:12 pm

They are both good, so you can’t go wrong choosing either one.

I do feel that Schwab is more for trading, but that’s just my opinion.

I have accounts at both, but more assets at Fidelity....they gave me 200 free trades good for 2 years.

For now, Vanguard holds most of our assets.

I trust VG the most.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:22 pm

samsoes wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:09 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:07 pm
more attractive, favorable, or commendable: in better circumstances

more advantageous or effective: a better solution
Betterment then. :happy

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:26 pm

I have Vanguard and Fidelity.

I don’t think you can go wrong with Schwab if you go that route. I started with Fidelity because my 401k was there and then the company switched to Vanguard. Now our Acquiring company switched us to a black box operation with no tickets, no prospectus and high fees. So I jumped ship. :-)

money_bunny

Post by money_bunny » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:27 pm

I'm going to pull the trigger on consolidating at the end of the year so I don't accidentally double contribute to things. Maybe I should work on getting more organized.

I'm leaning to Fido because of the HSA. I wish they would bring the signup bonuses back. I'll put everything but the brokerage (Pre-tax) there.

I also have a BOA/ME where I'll keep the brokerage and the second bank account. I move every 6 months for work so I need bank checks for security deposits and so forth frequently.