Social Security Retirement Age

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
happysteward

Social Security Retirement Age

Post by happysteward » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm

My official SS statement says this

At full retirement age (66 and 10 months) $3,000 month
At age 70 $3,785 month
At early retirement age (62) $2,108 month

For planning purposes can I interpolate between these ages if say I retire at 63, or 67 ? Is that how it works?
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."

Silk McCue

Re: Social Security Retirement Age

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Use this table to calculate the other dates below age 66 yrs 10 months. Extrapolation may work but the table will provide precise.

Above 66 yrs 10 months it grows at a fixed dollar amount based upon 8% of FRA amount each year so extrapolate away.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/1959.html

Cheers

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:48 pm

happysteward wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:10 pm

At age 70 $3,785 month

For planning purposes can I interpolate between these ages if say I retire at 63, or 67 ? Is that how it works?
The statement assumes that you will keep working until you file, so the at age 70 figure compared to the age
62 figure includes 8 years of extra income at your current salary (though depending upon your earlier wage inflation
adjusted income, that might not matter.) Looking at your numbers, this make little difference though.

For you, straight interpolation should work very well. The adjustment is about 8%/year that you delay (or file early).

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:28 pm

I think you can tell from the verbiage on the statement whether they think you are continuing to work during the time before starting the benefit
once you have stopped working the statements to come should begin to say "$0." for the expected annual earnings in the future
Look for "expected future annual earnings" or something like that on the statement to try to figure out whether that is juicing up the future estimated monthly benefit

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 pm

"The maximum monthly Social Security benefit at full or normal retirement age is $2,788 for 2018 and $2,861 for 2019. " I am a litle surpirsed there is a value for future out years...my full retirement year is 2019, and even though I contributed max amount for 35 years, I get about 97% of the max PIA based on the way they do the calcs, the earlier years I worked do not get full credit.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:12 am

You still get 8%/year delayed retirement credits even if you are not working from your FRA to age 70.

Also, wage indexing stops at age 60. If you continue to work with SS earnings > your age 60 maximum wage base. This will result replacing those years < the maximum with years > the maximum.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 am

TBillT wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 pm
"The maximum monthly Social Security benefit at full or normal retirement age is $2,788 for 2018 and $2,861 for 2019. " I am a litle surpirsed there is a value for future out years...my full retirement year is 2019, and even though I contributed max amount for 35 years, I get about 97% of the max PIA based on the way they do the calcs, the earlier years I worked do not get full credit.
" I am a litle surpirsed there is a value for future out years.."
There is always an adjustment for future years SS growth when they estimate your benefits years into the future.
For 2019 the max would be $2,861 at FRA and $3,698 at 70.

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 am

Neurosphere's Social Security Estimator can be used to estimate future Social Security payments (expressed in today's dollars). One can simply enter a birth year, historical salaries, and fill future work years with this year's salary, until the planned retirement. The estimator provides the payment amounts when Social Security is claimed at any age from 62 to 70.
Bogleheads investment philosophy | single-ETF balanced portfolio | VBAL

#Cruncher

Post by #Cruncher » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:11 pm

happysteward wrote:
For planning purposes can I interpolate between these ages if say I retire at 63, or 67?
It would be more accurate to interpolate between the four ages shown in the left column of the table below. The "Pct PIA" column shows the percentage of the Primary Insurance Amount (PIA) you'd receive if you started at each of the four ages. [1] The "Mo $" column shows the corresponding monthly benefit for a PIA of $2,976. [2] The right column shows the amount the benefit would increase per month for in-between ages. For example, if you began at age 63 the benefit would be $2,108 + 12 X $12.40. If you began at 67 it would be $2,976 + 2 X $19.84.

Code: Select all

Age  Months   Pct PIA    Mo $  Incr/mo
------ ------   -------   -----  -------
62.000          70.833%   2,108
          22                      12.40
63.833          80.000%   2,381
          36                      16.53
66.833         100.000%   2,976
          38                      19.84
70.000         125.333%   3,730
  1. PIA is the monthly benefit you're entitled to at your Normal Retirement Age (NRA). There is a reduction of 5/9% for each month before NRA up to 36 months and 5/12% for each month before that. For each month after NRA the benefit increases 8/12% of the PIA.
  2. $2,976 assumes the same Average Indexed Monthly Earnings (AIME) upon which the $2,108 age 62 benefit is calculated. Therefore the $3,000 from your SSA statement must be assuming a slight increase in the AIME if you continued to work until your NRA.

tfunk

Post by tfunk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I know my ideas on when to take Social Security are not supported by most. When I seriously started my retirement planning 25 years ago I plugged in the payout at 50% of projections - just to cover for some type of future reduction/taxation. Luckily, when I took mine at 62, the payout was still at the projection. So - even though I took it early, I am still ahead of my original planning projection.

The most recent issue of AARP Bulletin states than without changes "...in 2020, the total cost of Social Security will outstrip its annual income...." Page 4, June 2019, Vol 60, No.5.

I still think it is not beyond the possibility that sometime in the future, there will be some type of "needs" based formula that may reduce the level of payment for those who have saved a large enough retirement portfolio.

If it does not happen, great - you will have an upside to your spending plans.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:38 pm

tfunk wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm
I know my ideas on when to take Social Security are not supported by most. When I seriously started my retirement planning 25 years ago I plugged in the payout at 50% of projections - just to cover for some type of future reduction/taxation. Luckily, when I took mine at 62, the payout was still at the projection. So - even though I took it early, I am still ahead of my original planning projection.

The most recent issue of AARP Bulletin states than without changes "...in 2020, the total cost of Social Security will outstrip its annual income...." Page 4, June 2019, Vol 60, No.5.

I still think it is not beyond the possibility that sometime in the future, there will be some type of "needs" based formula that may reduce the level of payment for those who have saved a large enough retirement portfolio.

If it does not happen, great - you will have an upside to your spending plans.
Your reply does not address a question or concern raised by anyone on this thread.

I would like to reply but doing so is inconsistent with the site guidelines.

Cheers

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 pm

tfunk wrote:
So because you arbitrarily decided to plan on only 50%, your reduced benefit due to starting at age 62 makes you feel good. Maybe folks should plan on 0% so no matter what happens they'll feel good too.

Me, I'm not planning on any arbitrary reductions, and I'll be starting my benefits at 70. I'll feel good. And I'll feel better knowing my wife will get the maximum survivor benefit should I predecease her (a likely occurrence).

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 pm
tfunk wrote:
So because you arbitrarily decided to plan on only 50%, your reduced benefit due to starting at age 62 makes you feel good. Maybe folks should plan on 0% so no matter what happens they'll feel good too.

Me, I'm not planning on any arbitrary reductions, and I'll be starting my benefits at 70. I'll feel good. And I'll feel better knowing my wife will get the maximum survivor benefit should I predecease her (a likely occurrence).
Well JoeRetire - I could not have said it better .....and we are doing the same thing.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 pm

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
tfunk wrote:

Well JoeRetire - I could not have said it better .....and we are doing the same thing.

Agree. We have no need to take it early. And makes sense to begin to draw down our 401k down a little once we are on Medicare, before claining SS. This method seems to minimise overall income taxes and allows for the opportunity to maximise Roth conversions at minimal tax margin rate before taking SS benefit. A max SS benefit cola adjusted for my wife's lifetime seems like a pretty good deal to me.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
tfunk wrote:

While not planning for arbitrary reductions, presumably you're planning for the projected reductions already provided for by existing law.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:20 pm

happysteward wrote:

At age 70 $3,785 month

The Social Security website seems to be down right now, but there is an online calculator that provides an accurate estimate of what you will get for any age that you stop working and (potentially different) age that you start collecting. It requires you to enter some personal information to use your actual earnings history.
https://www.ssa.gov/retire/estimator.html

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:59 am

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
While not planning for arbitrary reductions, presumably you're planning for the projected reductions already provided for by existing law.
There's no planning needed.

We'll be fine in the unlikely event that congress doesn't bother to change the laws and benefits get reduced. We'll be finer if the laws are amended and benefits aren't reduced, as I would expect.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:08 am

tibbitts wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
tfunk wrote:

We are planning for SS to follow the history that has already occurred during its lifetime - and we will be fine no matter what happens.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:10 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:59 am
tibbitts wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:

We'll be fine in the unlikely event that congress doesn't bother to change the laws and benefits get reduced. We'll be finer if the laws are amended and benefits aren't reduced, as I would expect.
"We'll be finer if the laws are amended and benefits aren't reduced, as I would expect."
As has occurred in the past with SS.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 am

smitcat wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:10 am
JoeRetire wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:

"We'll be finer if the laws are amended and benefits aren't reduced, as I would expect."
Right. That's what leads me to my expectations.

The past has only shown minor "reductions" like taxing benefits, gradually increasing the full retirement age, and playing games with the source of inflation numbers used for COLAs. I don't expect any major changes in philosophy this time.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:53 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 am
smitcat wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:10 am
JoeRetire wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:

Right. That's what leads me to my expectations.

The past has only shown minor "reductions" like taxing benefits, gradually increasing the full retirement age, and playing games with the source of inflation numbers used for COLAs. I don't expect any major changes in philosophy this time.
I agree that the past is a very good source of future projections. Also ...surveying all the potential remedies (15+) for both probability and efficacy reduces this potential risk greatly.
Time will tell.