Help needed

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Qmann

Help needed

Post by Qmann » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 pm

I have one million dollars making two percent in a bank account. I would like to invest it in a semi-conservative investment making more. I have eight years to retirement and I do not need to touch the money in that time frame nor do I need to make withdrawals from it when I retire. Any investment suggestions with the stock market at all time highs? Does anyone know of a great financial planner that they could recommend? Thanks

bloom2708

Re: Help needed

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Welcome!

If you do not need it in 8 years and do not need it after, what is the purpose of these funds?

This place is all about not having/needing a financial planner. Spend time here and don't pay someone to do something you can easily do yourself.

Are the funds in a tax-sheltered account or taxable/post-tax?

How much are you willing to see go away during a market swoon? That might help sent the upper bounds for stocks in your portfolio.

I think you could justify 30% stocks all the way up to 70% stocks.

If taxable:

50% Total World Stock index
50% Int-Term Tax-Exempt Bond index (Or a state version if you are in CA, NY, NJ, OH, PA, Vanguard has state specific funds for several states)

If tax-sheltered: Traditional IRA/Roth IRA

50% Total World Stock index
50% Total US Bond index (or Int-Term Bond index or Int-Term Treasury index)

or

LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (60/40 stocks to bonds, Total US/Total Int/Total US Bond/Total Int Bond)

Take 90 days, do nothing. Read up. Ask questions. Form a simple/low cost/good enough/total market portfolio. Stay the course.

Welcome again! Hopefully others add their ideas.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Read up on our Wiki. Are you looking to DIY invest? DIY investing is only advisable if you stay the course and don't sell during downturns. Most of the advice you are likely to get will boil down to picking a stock/bond ratio that you are comfortable with and then either investing that all at once or over the course of a few months if it will help you sleep better if there is a crash.

The stock market being at an all time high is irrelevant because nobody knows if this is the lowest it will ever be again or the highest it will be for the next decade.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:26 pm

You can do all your research on the Boglehead wiki and get help from the forum members. IF you don't want to do all the research, Vanguard does have Personal Advisor Services https://investor.vanguard.com/advice/pe ... lookInside
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Qmann wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 pm
I have one million dollars making two percent in a bank account. I would like to invest it in a semi-conservative investment making more. I have eight years to retirement and I do not need to touch the money in that time frame nor do I need to make withdrawals from it when I retire. Any investment suggestions with the stock market at all time highs? Does anyone know of a great financial planner that they could recommend? Thanks
Why has $1m been sitting in a bank account until now?

Are you planning to withdraw all of that $1m the day you retire? Or is this really more like a 38+ year long term investment you are seeking?