How does trading treasuries from secondary work at Fidelity?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Hector

How does trading treasuries from secondary work at Fidelity?

Post by Hector » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:32 pm

I recently opened HSA with Fidelity and am learning how their platform work.

I am thinking about buying 4-weeks/8-weeks notes which are going to be issued on 6/18.
Based on talking to fixed income representative at Fidelity,
6/11 - announcement date and these notes will show up on fidelity. Order can be placed after that
6/13 - auction date. Order needs to be placed by 10:30 eastern time
6/18 - settlement date

I asked representative if I can buy something from secondary market (using all cash I have) today with maturity date of 6/18. Then place an order of buying notes using proceed from matured security. I was informed, I cannot do this because in this scenario, I wont have enough $$ in CORE position (cash) between 6/11 to 6/13 when I can place an order. For fidelity account holder, is this sound correct?

I have read on forum that you don't have this issue with Vanguard and Schwab.

Still, I want to try this out. So I bought 1 quantity with maturing date on 6/13 (auction date) from secondary market. I will try to place an order including proceed from this and see if I can do it. I will do the same for settlement date.

Another question:
This is how Ask column look from Depth of Book for treasury note maturing on 6/28

Code: Select all

Price	Quantity(Min)	Yield							Action
99.956	X(100)		Don't remember 						Buy
99.956	Y(1)		Don't remember, but it was little less than above one	Buy
To buy 1 quantity, I placed an order by clicking on Buy button on second row. It price was being auto filled with 99.956 and I placed an order. I learned that you can only do Fill or Kill order for something like this. That order got cancelled. I placed it two more times and same result. Why so?

jacksonm

Re: How does trading treasuries from secondary work at Fidelity?

Post by jacksonm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Don't really understand what you are trying to do.

I buy T-Bills on Fidelity all the time and it's a very simple process. Don't remember what Order Type I select from the drop-down list, probably "market" but it gets filled almost immediately.