Chewy IPO

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SpringMountainField

Chewy IPO

Post by SpringMountainField » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Any thoughts on the Chewy IPO? It is expected to price between $17-$19 a share. The company has great customer service, low prices, huge inventory, and fast delivery. I don't know when it's going public.

JoMoney

Re: Chewy IPO

Post by JoMoney » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pm

My thoughts are:
I've never heard of it before.
Found this, https://www.marketwatch.com/story/chewy ... 2019-06-03
and their website https://www.chewy.com/

My next thought was, can't I already order pet stuff from Amazon.com ?
What does Chewy.com offer that makes them unique from any other retailer that sells the same brands of pet stuff?
I don't see how this will be a successful competitor to Amazon or Walmart.com
Kind of reminds me of Pets.com from the tech bubble days... except I had actually heard of Pets.com ... on further browsing, aparently Pets.com now goes to PetSmart's website... apparently they sell both online and at their retail outlets.... more competition for whatever that other online pet store was I just heard about.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:00 pm

SpringMountainField wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:37 pm
Any thoughts on the Chewy IPO? It is expected to price between $17-$19 a share. The company has great customer service, low prices, huge inventory, and fast delivery. I don't know when it's going public.
Did you mean to post this in some stock pickers Reddit thread?

jminv

Post by jminv » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:03 pm

They’re a good place to buy animal food and are a subsidiary of petsmart. I’ve used them for awhile to gift pet food and supplements to my mothers animals. It’s a very customer friendly company but 3/4 of the things you listed as positives are not really positives from a business case - low prices, huge inventory (it’s not really that large though), and fast delivery. Those mean small or negative margins. I’m curious why amazon stopped competing as aggressively as they had been which might mean it’s a money losing enterprise shipping heavy bags of food quickly. In any case, they have competition and no actual competitive advantage. Not difficult to replicate what they’re doing.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 pm

I'm even more confused as to what this Chewy.com company is after browsing their website. It appears to be just some other front-end selling the same products with the same reviews for the same prices* as Amazon.com ... maybe they're just scraping referral revenues :confused :confused :confused
(* actually going directly to amazon.com offered me a "coupon" for the items i was looking at for a discount on first time "subscribe and save")
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 pm

I really like the website, as they have better prices than Amazon, more selection of pet products, and really great "no questions asked" customer service. Unfortunately, I don't know how they are supposed to make money like this. The company has just been using up cash at an alarming rate. Amazon already makes almost no margin. I'm not sure how Chewy will be able to be profitable with lower scale and a niche product set while beating Amazon on price.

This is one of those times where I'd like to attend the IPO roadshow and hear why management thinks they will be profitable in the future.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 pm

We are Chewy customers and they have super awesome customer service.

I would not invest in their stock.

Topic Author
SpringMountainField

Post by SpringMountainField » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:19 pm

I completely agree with you. I love the company as a customer, but it may not be a good investment.

drk

Post by drk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 pm

Chewy's IPO is the best argument that we're seeing dot-com redux. It's unprofitable with no moat and no path to viability, like Uber without the market power.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:23 pm

ohai wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 pm
I really like the website, as they have better prices than Amazon, more selection of pet products....
Do they?
Am I at the wrong site or something?
Everything I looked at appears to be exactly the same as Amazon.com
For example, this
https://www.chewy.com/nutro-wholesome-e ... /dp/114572
Is the same as this
https://www.amazon.com/Nutro-Wholesome- ... B01MYDY4WM

Except when I go direct to Amazon they offer me a 50% off coupon as a "first time subscriber" , and rather than just the 5% off chewy offered there's an optional 10% off if I "subscribe" to five or more items...

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pm
My thoughts are:

What does Chewy.com offer that makes them unique from any other retailer that sells the same brands of pet stuff?
Kind of reminds me of Pets.com from the tech bubble days... except I had actually heard of Pets.com
You must not have a pet? They have a great website, great prices. Pretty much everyone who has a dog orders through them. Not sure why but I don't go through Amazon. I could see them as a buyout target for Amazon.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 pm

Love Chewy. We have 2 Goldendoodles that require a special prescription food. Chewy is great to order from and they deliver quickly.

Won't invest in their IPO though. Have no interest in it. Will stick with my index investing. If I do decide to invest in Chewy with spare money, I definitely won't do it for another year or so. IPO's are always risky when they first hit the market.

For the most part, I'm 60/40 VTSAX/VFWAX. :)

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:23 pm
ohai wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 pm
I really like the website, as they have better prices than Amazon, more selection of pet products....
Do they?
Am I at the wrong site or something?
Everything I looked at appears to be exactly the same as Amazon.com
For example, this
https://www.chewy.com/nutro-wholesome-e ... /dp/114572
Is the same as this
https://www.amazon.com/Nutro-Wholesome- ... B01MYDY4WM

Except when I go direct to Amazon they offer me a 50% off coupon as a "first time subscriber" , and rather than just the 5% off chewy offered there's an optional 10% off if I "subscribe" to five or more items...
Most of the products are priced matched, yes. However, Chewy has more of the products that Amazon probably finds uneconomical to ship. For me, this is cat litter or sometimes big cat food bags. Chewy will give you free shipping got 100 pound packages. Lots of items that fall under this category are not available on Amazon.

Take this thing for instance. The cheapest equivalent on Amazon that I can find is about $20.
https://www.chewy.com/tidy-cats-instant ... /dp/105875

I wouldn't care so much about the coupons. You won't pay that discounted price for most items, and I doubt 50% off is a normal deal that you can get all the time anyway.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Pets.com the sequel?

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:23 pm

They're a "feel good" pet supplies fulfillment center that reminds me of the Saturn car brand. They have problems, but they're very nice when resolving issues. I get a Christmas card from them and other pet owners have received condolence cards after the death of a pet. They seem to have shifted their advertising from t.v. commercials to donating a lot of product for "brand placement" (Animal Planet tv shows, veterinary tv shows, pet bloggers).

From personal experience and from being involved with other pet bloggers, I can say they have serious issues with their shipping process (repeatedly shipped damaged cases of food), which they re-ship for free. Prices are no better than any other online retailer, and even our local retailer has similar prices. I don't order from them unless I can't find what I need elsewhere.

Since they're owned by PetSmart and not offering anything unique (products or services), I'm not sure how they will maintain market share long term. Will their feel good vibe help them win market share? Or, will the holiday & condolence cards be axed during cost-cutting and then they're just another internet pet supply company? Not something I'm willing to risk my investment dollars on.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 pm

We've used Chewy for 3 years and have never received a shipment that has been damaged.

Makes me wonder if someone locally is damaging your shipments. Do other retailers have damaged goods when you order?

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 am

Same here. As a customer, I really like Chewy. I was concerned that Chewy might go downhill in terms of customer service and pricing when Petsmart acquired the company, but it really hasn't.

Still, it's in a low-margin e-commerce business with lots of competition. As an investor, I'll pass.
greg24 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 pm

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:03 am

southerndoc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 pm
We've used Chewy for 3 years and have never received a shipment that has been damaged.

Makes me wonder if someone locally is damaging your shipments. Do other retailers have damaged goods when you order?
Chewy has multiple fulfillment centers (I'm on the West coast), but I've heard from other pet owners (East coast and Colorado), that have had poorly packaged shipments (bags of dry food torn and spilled inside the shipping box). I'm sure they're filling thousands of orders a day and only a small percentage are damaged, but if uncorrected, it's an issue that will drag on profits.

I had problems with 5 or 6 orders. I've had cases of canned cat food where multiple cans were dented so severely that they were no longer sealed, and cans that were punctured through the cardboard tray that the manufacturer packages them in. In one instance the shipping box was damaged, so I'll blame both Chewy (not enough padding) and FedEx for that. When I contacted the manufacturer about the punctured cans they said they didn't know how that could happen, but sent a couple coupons for free cases of food.

The negligible price savings was not worth the inconvenience of having to inspect each can for major damage, then be sure each can "hissed" as the vacuum seal broke when I opened it. My other concern was that the product was being wasted (rabbits died to make my cat's food), so I stopped ordering from them.

I did not have any problems when I ordered the same foods from Amazon. But the "subscribe and save" price went up and I could get it for the same price or cheaper from the local store. When I purchase cases locally, they've been undamaged. The added benefit of buying locally is that there's usually some dogs in the pet store that need petting!

More importantly - Your Goldendoodles must be wonderful dogs. I had a Golden Retriever who lived to 17 yrs. He was a spectacular dog!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:49 am

southerndoc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:31 pm
Love Chewy. We have 2 Goldendoodles that require a special prescription food. Chewy is great to order from and they deliver quickly.
Won't invest in their IPO though. Have no interest in it. Will stick with my index investing. If I do decide to invest in Chewy with spare money, I definitely won't do it for another year or so. IPO's are always risky when they first hit the market.
For the most part, I'm 60/40 VTSAX/VFWAX. :)
We get prescription food and medications from Chewy; they will call the vet and get faxed prescriptions. Their subscription model for recurring items IMO is better than Amazon’s.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:42 am

southerndoc wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 pm

I order from them about twice a month. I have had 2 or 3 shipments of canned food where numerous cans were dented. A credit or replacement was quickly issued. Turned out that the top cover on the cans needed to protect them was not on. This has since been corrected.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:28 am

Have you considered investing Bogleheads-style?

The Bogleheads® Philosophy
1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Never try to time the market
5 Use index funds when possible
6 Keep costs low
7 Diversify
8 Minimize taxes
9 Keep it simple
10 Stay the course

Also see: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:47 am

drk wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:21 pm
Chewy's IPO is the best argument that we're seeing dot-com redux. It's unprofitable with no moat and no path to viability, like Uber without the market power.
That reminds me of my trading days when drkoop.com had its IPO. What a joke that one was.

Blister

Post by Blister » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:01 am

My wife uses Chewy mainly for cat litter. She doesn't like lugging those heavy boxes home from the store. Their prices are competitive but with the weight of that product I imagine they are loosing money on the free delivery. I would not invest in the stock.
Everthing works out in the end. If it doesn't then its not the end.

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:17 am

JoMoney wrote:
My thoughts are:

Kind of reminds me of Pets.com from the tech bubble days... except I had actually heard of Pets.com ... on further browsing, aparently Pets.com now goes to PetSmart's website... apparently they sell both online and at their retail outlets.... more competition for whatever that other online pet store was I just heard about.

I've been a user for years.
They have AMAZING customer service. Like Nordstrom level CS. Absolutely 10/10 for them.
The carry prescription foods and medications for animals. I don't believe amazon does this. This was the only provider I could find online that had my dog's meds.
They offer discounts for subscribe and save (so does 'zon).
They have an app which is easy to use.
They send reminders before they ship you something on your subscribe and save and it's very easy to modify.

While they may not have a perfect business model to compete with 'zon, they are a really great company and I hope they survive.

vshun

Post by vshun » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:31 am

I buy from them vs Amazon because I believe in supporting independent ecommerce retailers like Chewy, especially when they offer decent prices and support. Amazon has to be matching Chewy prices, and so if everyone buys from amazon and smaller retailers go out of business your Amazon prices will go quickly up. Case in point - book prices were discounted by 50% by Amazon till Borders and some BN stores were still open, now one can rarely get decent discount once Amazon competition in books disappeared.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am

We have a very finicky cat with medical issues and he is down to only liking one particular brand and flavor of food. The local Petsmart carries it but most of the time is out. Found it on Chewy, ordered two cases at 5 in the evening. It arrived before noon the next day. Impressive. Amazon had limited supplies of the same food and was twice the price.
"My idea of rich is ordering the most expensive thing at Denny's"

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

We love Chewy. Prices are lowest we’ve seen. Purchases over $50 ship free. Their shipping is very fast, like next day in some cases. We told them a brand of cat food we bought was not favored by our cats, cats are finicky so it can be expected. They refunded our money. We donated the ill-favored food to our local shelter. We love Chewy.

Edit: Even so I wouldn’t buy their stock as I swore off individual stocks a while ago.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:20 am

Nicolas wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am
We love Chewy. Prices are lowest we’ve seen. Purchases over $50 ship free. Their shipping is very fast, like next day in some cases. We told them a brand of cat food we bought was not favored by our cats, cats are finicky so it can be expected. They refunded our money. We donated the ill-favored food to our local shelter. We love Chewy.
We also love Chewy, and have had a food subscription with them for years. However Amazon also ships free (any size order, since I'm Prime) and the item arrives just as fast as from Chewy. Given the choice, I prefer Chewy since their Customer Service is excellent and more personal than Amazon's.

However, I cancelled my next shipment from Chewy in favor of Amazon after reading about the 50% coupon offer in this thread. Paid Amazon $29.47 for 2nd day delivery of an item that Chewy was going to ship for $62.22 I prefer Chewy and will order from them again even if it costs a bit more, but my loyalty has a price. In this case, a bit over $30. :D

jaguar3003

Post by jaguar3003 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 am

Going through reviews of similar products on Amazon, I typically find Amazon reviews on dog food that talk about how the bag was damaged, or the food smelled bad or looked different.

I've been hesitant to order dog food off Amazon due to how many of their other items have been counterfeited. Look it up---Amazon has an issue with counterfeit products.

I trust Chewy for dog products. I don't trust Amazon

leonidas

Post by leonidas » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:33 pm

We use chewy for our dog food and dog meds. Sometimes a good company doesn’t equal a good stock. I have shifted most of my assets to indexes so i won’t be buying this stock. If you have some play money I don’t think it’s that much of an issue to pick up shares just not my thing. Good luck.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm

My experience shipping food with Chewy: dry food, sometimes gets beaten around. Don't ship it with heavy items like cat litter, as they don't always pad it. Amazon tends to over pad odd shaped packages, in contrast. Canned food - Chewy is better as they put a lid on the carton. All in all, it is worse to have beaten up canned food than dry food.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:59 pm

I love Chewy as a retailer - cheaper than alternatives I've looked at for what we buy (High end food thanks to my spouse's insistence) and does a great job shipping (unlike others statements - my stuff always arrives in great shape).
Would I invest in them? Why? On-line retail is mostly a race to the bottom of cheap prices with very low (or negative!) margins - how will they expand to make money? Yes they have a lot of market share right now but if they raise their prices to increase profits their customers will flee.
And of course, I stopped by individual stocks years ago anyway.
What makes Amazon attractive to investors these days is their AWS business more than their retail.

peek

Post by peek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 pm

I ordered from chewy recently because they offered this huge first time buyer discount on top of an additional discount for setting up a subscription to receive product after X number of months (I cancelled this after the first order shipped). To get the deal I had to buy enough food so we are supplied now for months. The site is great, the shipping was fast. They are trying to become the provider for "Pet Parents" which seems to be working for them. Several friends of my SO use the site exclusively for their pet supplies. I imagine their model will be to charge a higher price once people become used to the service and they have many members on auto ship / resupply. I can't see how they can make much margin with shipping costs going higher and higher every year though, they would have to do a massive volume. I they continue to be cheaper than my grocery store and keep giving me discounts I'll continue to order from them. I won't buy their stock however.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:45 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 pm
JoMoney wrote:
My thoughts are:

Kind of reminds me of Pets.com from the tech bubble days... except I had actually heard of Pets.com
You must not have a pet? They have a great website, great prices. Pretty much everyone who has a dog orders through them. Not sure why but I don't go through Amazon. I could see them as a buyout target for Amazon.
I'm an animal person, and chewy is well known among my friends and local animal groups, who order from them. I have limited experience with them, as my cat eats a food sold through veterinarians. I did once buy litter from them, thinking it would be a convenience, but it arrived with the bags damaged and leaking litter. They were excellent about a refund, tho.

I would prefer to buy from a dedicated pet company rather than the third party yoyos who sell on amazon.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:51 pm

ohai wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Take this thing for instance. The cheapest equivalent on Amazon that I can find is about $20.
What do you do with those big plastic pails? I buy the 10 lb Tidy Cat as it exactly fills one litter box and is easier to handle. It comes in paper treated to be environmentally unfriendly, sigh. What is this mania for coating paper with plastic.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:56 pm

By the way, if people need an alternative, vetsource.com has prescription foods, etc. If you get to their site from your vet's website, it is linked in so they get prescriptions, handle refills, etc.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:14 pm

I am a customer and I am happy with their service, products and prices. I will not be investing in their company stock since only invest in Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX). Good luck.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:51 pm
ohai wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

What do you do with those big plastic pails? I buy the 10 lb Tidy Cat as it exactly fills one litter box and is easier to handle. It comes in paper treated to be environmentally unfriendly, sigh. What is this mania for coating paper with plastic.
I realize this is going off-topic a bit but I like those big pails for two specific purposes: 1) They’re good for storing black oil sunflower seeds in the garage (bird seed) and with the secure covers keeping pesky mice away, and (2) I dump in them used motor oil until I collect enough to make it worth my while to haul to recycling.

But I no longer buy litter in pails, I buy it in bags at Costco when it goes on sale. This week I bought 50 lb. bags of clumping litter for $8.99 each there. I bought 500 lbs. which should be enough to last us till winter of 2021.

megabad

Post by megabad » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:32 pm

CardinalRule wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 am
Same here. As a customer, I really like Chewy. I was concerned that Chewy might go downhill in terms of customer service and pricing when Petsmart acquired the company, but it really hasn't.

Still, it's in a low-margin e-commerce business with lots of competition. As an investor, I'll pass.
greg24 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 pm

+2 on this. I agree that customer service is still good though I don't know if I still get Christmas cards from them (I used to). Unfortunately, the prices on the things I buy went way up after Petsmart acquired (basically match Amazon now as someone else indicated). That now makes sense since they have announced an IPO. I just generally try to avoid stock picks so I don't have an opinion on the quality of investing in the company.
vshun wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:31 am
I buy from them vs Amazon because I believe in supporting independent ecommerce retailers like Chewy, especially when they offer decent prices and support. Amazon has to be matching Chewy prices, and so if everyone buys from amazon and smaller retailers go out of business your Amazon prices will go quickly up. Case in point - book prices were discounted by 50% by Amazon till Borders and some BN stores were still open, now one can rarely get decent discount once Amazon competition in books disappeared.
Well, as mentioned above calling Chewy an "independent ecommerce retailer" is a bit of a stretch since Petsmart is pretty much the largest pet retailer in the world (and not really an ecommerce retailer). I guess they are independent (I think big private equity owns them). I probably wouldn't use that as the main reason to shop there. I agree with the Amazon book comments. I cried when ebay nuked Half.com. Now I pretty much buy all my books at local used stores. The only reasonable source.

Cody6136

Post by Cody6136 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:05 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 pm
JoMoney wrote:
My thoughts are:

You are living in a tiny bubble if you believe that pretty much everyone who has a dog orders through them. I live in Montana. Few people order .. anywhere. We still go to the store. We talk to people. We drop in at their houses and wonder why people have to order dog chow on computers when the broken bags are available at the stores....good stores...at the 1st and 15th of the month. The very store that owns Chewies.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:46 pm

I have very little faith in the ability of non-financial professionals to judge whether an individual stock is a good investment (and even less faith in my own such ability). Common stock-picking advice is "go with what you know", but whether you and your circle of friends like and/or use a particular company is sadly no insight into whether you should buy its stock and certainly not at IPO (See: Uber).

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:52 pm

They could be the fastest growing and largest company ever in 5 years, but without knowing their valuation just having great customer service and fast delivery is meaningless, as is the expected opening price (without a float quantity to compare with).

endeavour

Post by endeavour » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:50 am

Hi,
New here -- first post. Hopefully this meets the guidelines.

My experience with chewy.com has been very similar to others, i.e. truly exceptional customer service. One of my cats had hyperthyroidism and needed special food, which Chewy delivered regularly. When my cat died suddenly, just after a shipment had arrived, I had to call to set up a return and refund. The person I dealt with was amazing, and the company sent me a bouquet of flowers as a condolence gift. I think that's going above and beyond. I could tell other stories about their great CS.

However, I would pass on their IPO (and IPOs in general). In general, I don't hold individual stocks, although I did own brk.b until last year, after holding it for 15 years.

Cheers!

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:20 am

Wow - roughly $35 for CHWY at the end of the day on Friday, June 14.

I will be curious to see how this goes over time, but I won't have any direct financial interest. :wink: