How is Merrill Edge?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Blue456

How is Merrill Edge?

Post by Blue456 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm

Anybody invested with Merrill Edge? Are they any good compared to Vanguard and Fidelity.

puravida

Re: How is Merrill Edge?

Post by puravida » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Personally didn't care for Merrill Edge. It seemed difficult to navigate their site, not the best offerings for money market funds, charged for trades when supposed to be free, etc. Much prefer Fidelity.
Simple, passive, effective - the Bogle way...

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:49 pm

They've given me lots of money, so I really like the platform. It's functional as a brokerage, and it's very easy to avoid paying commissions there if you use ETFs like your pal whodidntante.

Captain kangaroo

Post by Captain kangaroo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:01 pm

I love Merrill Edge.

I moved everything over from Fidelity. I get free trades, integrates seamlessly with Bank of America, I love their research tools and how it breaks down all of your asset allocations.

The function of connecting all of your external accounts to see a complete asset allocation has worked great for me too. I have multiple external accounts and loans connected to it and it all updates flawlessly so I can see my financial picture. Customer service has been great too.

Really shocked at how great it has been actually.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Tried ME early last year, with a portion of our assets. While the fundamentals looked good, including new account bonus and free trades, we gave up and transferred assets back out based on customer service issues that we could not get beyond. In addition to ME's not being able to deliver on a linked account structure that they initially told us would not be an issue, we found their structure inefficient and top heavy and their documentation requirements unusually burdensome (when compared to Fidelity and TD Ameritrade).

dual

Post by dual » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:16 pm

One problem with ME is that they charge a commission to buy treasuries at auction. Both Vanguard and Fidelity do not. I keep a taxable account with them with buy and hold ETFs to qualify for increased rebates from my BofA credit card as well as no fees on a checking account. I transfer dividend cash generated by the ETFs to my BofA checking account to use to pay off the credit card bills.

I now have an IRA with them that I opened for a transfer bonus. I keep fixed income in the IRA so I want to buy T-Bills. Because of the commission, I will close the IRA and transfer it out when I receive the bonus.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:24 pm

It is not Vanguard.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:24 pm
It is not Vanguard.
Is that a plus or minus for ME? From what I hear, both firm's customer service falls behind some of the competition.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:30 pm

It's fine. The only reason to use it is to get the Preferred Rewards status IMO, otherwise I would go with one of the other brokerages (Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity).

Backdoor Roth IRA requires opening a new traditional IRA every year and a phone call to do the conversion (can't be done online).

Trading ETFs is functional.

Not sure what else to add, I don't really need my brokerage to do anything for else for me really, so I don't have particularly high standards.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:48 pm

It's probably my top brokerage right now. Besides the thousands that they've given me in transfer bonuses, I like the free trades and credit card rewards boost with BofA Preferred Rewards.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:59 pm

BoglePaul wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:24 pm
It is not Vanguard.
So you're saying......they pick up the phone and answer questions on a Sunday afternoon?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bgf

Post by bgf » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:16 pm

using the bank of america cash rewards card makes it great. all my trades are commission free, and i get really good cash back bonus on the credit card.

i have no complaints.

also, my new 401k will be through ME so that's one less separate account I'll have to log into. now i'll have our taxable, both Roths, and my 401k all with ME.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

atdharris

Post by atdharris » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:18 pm

I like it for the sheer fact that having all my money there gives me perks I otherwise would not have (free trades, credit card booster, etc).

BashDash

Post by BashDash » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 pm

I like their retention bonuses. Every once in a while I give a call and tell them I'm "leaving" and they pay me a bonus to stay.

MMLC3

Post by MMLC3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 pm

I like ME for several reasons:

- preferred rewards program esp with credit card boost
- retention bonuses
- free trades on ETFs and stocks
- all accounts in one place, including BoA checking
- contrary to what I’m hearing here, I like the fact that I can reach out to a specific ME rep who gives a great service for being platinum honors member and has taken care of all requests so far
- mega backdoor Roth IRA that I started this year was a breeze, including dealing with customer service

capjak

Post by capjak » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:59 pm

I just opened an account to get bonus and rewards credit card is a plus.

In addition you can call and have cash funds put in their preferred deposit (FDIC insured) and pays 2.07%, while you determine how/what to invest. But you have to purchase and sell that preferred deposit cash account via phone (no cost) but requires a phone call.

MichDad

Post by MichDad » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 pm

My wife and I both earned nice bonuses last year when we moved Roth accounts over to ME. We're both Platinum Rewards customers. Also, we're pretty much buy and hold investors so we have little to no need for free trades. We've earned thousands of dollars in cash back with their Premium Rewards credit card, which we use very frequently. We've also received two small free safe deposit boxes at our local Bank of America branch.

In a few months, I'll be withdrawing a large sum of money from my Thrift Savings Account. When I do, I'll be speaking with ME, Schwab, and others about transfer bonuses.

MichDad

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:16 pm

When Capital One Brokerage shuttered and sold to ETrade I transferred everything to Merrill Edge.

It's been about 2 years and so far it's working great. I'm a BOA Preferred rewards member and get great cash back rates on the credit card plus free trades at ME.
I keep any and all ETFs and individual stock holdings with ME and keep all Vanguard mutual funds at Vanguard.

I don't trade frequently, but ME has been great to move money around, get the bonuses from preferred rewards and other basics.

I'm very happy with my 2 brokerage arrangement, ME for etf/stocks, Vanguard for mutual funds.

Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:22 pm

I will be mostly concerned about investing into IRAs and eventually long term retirement non IRA investments so Index Funds and Bonds.

NativeTxn

Post by NativeTxn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Blue456 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:22 pm
I will be mostly concerned about investing into IRAs and eventually long term retirement non IRA investments so Index Funds and Bonds.
Then you may not like Merrill Edge because they don't have any index funds I'm aware of that are NTF/no-load. I've got a couple of accounts there and some at Fidelity. I use ME for ETFs/stocks and Fidelity right now for funds.

I am going to be moving my ME IRA into my 401k later this year so I can do backdoor Roth's starting in 2020, so when I move that, I may move all but an account I use to play around with options out of ME and to Fidelity. I see the main benefit of ME being the ability to be in the preferred rewards program and once I move the IRA I won't qualify anymore. At that point I will probably move my banking relationship somewhere else and just keep the one account there to trade options (or I may move it to Fidelity for the slightly lower commission). We'll see - I have nothing against ME, but without using it to invest larger amounts to get into Preferred Rewards, I don't see a tremendous amount of value over any of the other brokerages.

Overall though, it's fine as far as a brokerage is concerned. If you use it for ETFs and stocks, have BOA accounts, and you are Platinum or Platinum Honors preferred rewards, then it's very good.
Last edited by NativeTxn on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:50 pm

Have used Edge, Schwab, TD, E-trade as well as several full service outfits. I don't want any significant difference between the discount brokers. Some have slight advantages over the others but they are slight and they are different. I like Schwab for minimal fees at international ATMs, I like Edge for connection to B of A, etc.... Pros/cons.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 pm

I am in the 100k+ tier. On the surface it is fine but the little things are terrible. Low sweep rate, Monet market not available without hoops, makes you wait until account is settled on a sale before purchasing something new. And the banking part is awful. Against that is account bonus and credit card benefits.

student

Post by student » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:25 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 pm
I am in the 100k+ tier. On the surface it is fine but the little things are terrible. Low sweep rate, Monet market not available without hoops, makes you wait until account is settled on a sale before purchasing something new. And the banking part is awful. Against that is account bonus and credit card benefits.
I agree with everything except I think the part on "makes you wait until account is settled on a sale before purchasing something new." may need additional info. When I trade ETFs, I do not have to wait. After I have sold ETF1, they let me purchase ETF2 without waiting. What are you trading?
Last edited by student on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

student

Post by student » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Bobby206 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:50 pm
Have used Edge, Schwab, TD, E-trade as well as several full service outfits. I don't want any significant difference between the discount brokers. Some have slight advantages over the others but they are slight and they are different.
I agree. The only thing I do not like about Vanguard is no customer service after hours.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:48 pm

Surprisingly good. I had a Merrill Lynch 401k with brokered CDs, which I would've had to sell if I wanted to roll my 401k elsewhere, so I chose to park my 401k in a Merrill Edge IRA until the CDs matured. I got a significant account opening bonus, unlimited free trades, and astounding customer service. They've offered to match the best mortgage offer I get. I basically hold VG bond funds and brokered CDs in ME and use it to rebalance when I withdraw from my taxable account at Schwab by buying either VTI or VXUS. I closed my VG account. Both ME and Schwab have phenomenal customer service.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm

remomnyc wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:48 pm
Surprisingly good. I had a Merrill Lynch 401k with brokered CDs, which I would've had to sell if I wanted to roll my 401k elsewhere, so I chose to park my 401k in a Merrill Edge IRA until the CDs matured. I got a significant account opening bonus, unlimited free trades, and astounding customer service. They've offered to match the best mortgage offer I get. I basically hold VG bond funds and brokered CDs in ME and use it to rebalance when I withdraw from my taxable account at Schwab by buying either VTI or VXUS. I closed my VG account. Both ME and Schwab have phenomenal customer service.
I wish I had been able to connect with some of that "phenomenal service". Last year I spent hours talking to my ME "personal assistant", as well as others on the phone & in their local office. It got so bad that, on one occasion ME customer service had my DW crying in frustration.

I ultimately just gave up after 2 months of trying, and then couldn't wait for the 6 month bonus hold to expire so I could move my assets back out. I really wanted it to work.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:33 pm

I should also add that for high dollar Merrill edge customers you can get a way under market mortgage.

Culbretd

Post by Culbretd » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 pm

softwaregeek wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:33 pm
I should also add that for high dollar Merrill edge customers you can get a way under market mortgage.
Go on... We are looking to buy a house within a year or 2.

softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:57 pm

The term you need to remember is " relationship mortgage"". You can do a search on the forum. Can be up to half a percent below market for the best customers.
Last edited by softwaregeek on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SobeCane

Post by SobeCane » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm

BashDash wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 pm
I like their retention bonuses. Every once in a while I give a call and tell them I'm "leaving" and they pay me a bonus to stay.
How much do you have with them and what type of retention bonuses are you receiving?

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm

I like ME in general for their free trades. Decent platform, and if you like looking at single stocks, good research.

At the Platinum Honors stage, you can get a lot of $$ back on the BoA Premium Rewards card.

Negatives -- their service is good, but I'd rank it a notch below Fido, Etrade and TDAM. I think they have a bit of a culture (even in ME, not just Merill Lynchg) that you use a Merill FA/broker and all your requests should go through that person. I don't have a FA/broker (by choice) so I sometimes need to ping them to get stuff done.

There are some basic functionality items that are missing from their platform -- ability to place orders on auction Treasuries online (a biggie for me), ability to place market on close orders online (you can place these for free by calling a trader). Their NTF Mutual Fund larder is sparse, but of course you can use free trades to get ETFs.

ADDED: Their money market fund has low rates, another negative if you have occasional cash balances.
Last edited by SlowMovingInvestor on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:05 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm
I wish I had been able to connect with some of that "phenomenal service". Last year I spent hours talking to my ME "personal assistant", as well as others on the phone & in their local office. It got so bad that, on one occasion ME customer service had my DW crying in frustration.
Curious as to what kind of service you and DW were seeking at ME?

I have had Vanguard ETFs sitting in ME for several years. I don´t do anything with them except collect the dividends (which get transferred to my checking account to be redeployed elsewhere.) I have also moved some of my ETFs out of ME to another custodian without any difficulty (after they were in long enough to qualify for the original bonus.) I now just maintain enough at ME long term for the Platinum Preferred bonus.

Mr. Digweed

Post by Mr. Digweed » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:38 pm

I have the total of my retirement assets with ME (over 2.5 million). I believe they serve my needs for things simple in retirement (3 funds). I'm not an active trader. Just gliding into older age. Their platform is clear and simple. They have the forms necessary for TOD. I've been with ME since 2008.

Topic Author
Blue456

Post by Blue456 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 pm

Mr. Digweed wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:38 pm
I have the total of my retirement assets with ME (over 2.5 million). I believe they serve my needs for things simple in retirement (3 funds). I'm not an active trader. Just gliding into older age. Their platform is clear and simple. They have the forms necessary for TOD. I've been with ME since 2008.
I presumed most people invested here with index funds. What funds did you use instead if I may ask?

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Happy customer of about 19 months here. All ETFs. Love the benefits combined with BofA accounts. No issues with their website. They seem to issue more customer notices than most brokerages, I'm guessing due to a much wider client base.

Had a few issues with them when transferring the initial funds. This delayed establishment of the account due to their typos in initial data entry, and subsequent attempts at corrections. It all worked out but was annoying at the time. Could happen anywhere I think. Did not affect the timeline for my Preferred Rewards with BofA or the cash bonus for transfer, but could have if I had not been attentive to the process.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:17 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:05 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm
Curious as to what kind of service you and DW were seeking at ME?
A year ago we decided to take advantage of ME's bonus offer and open 2 accounts, with the plan of evaluating ME before moving the bulk of our assets from TD Ameritrade (they had just acquired Scottrade) to MEdge. On our first contact with ME we were told it would not be a problem to have my DW’s account linked to my account online. In the past, it had been extremely simple to do this at Fidelity, Scottrade and TDA.

My DW and I each opened one new account, with the request and understanding that her account would be linked, along with trade authorization, to my online login. Before we opened our accounts, the local ME rep said that our setup would be "routine, not a problem". DW ended up spending a couple of hours in the local BoA/ME office on a return visit executing lengthy POA document specifically so that the accounts could be linked to my login. It was all very formal and required notarization. We left with the understanding that all requirements were met, and the link would occur within a week.

However the local ME rep failed to have us sign yet another required form. He Fedexed the form overnight a few weeks later, even though his office is only 2 miles away and if he called we could have just driven over. That alone added an additional 1 week delay. At that point it was about a month and the online account access was still not set up correctly.

Then after all the paperwork was finally in and approved, ME customer service called DW several times. She called them as well. After many phone calls and hours of frustration on our part, MEdge was unable to actually initiate the linked accounts. No one there, especially our "personal rep" had any idea why the linkage wasn't done or any suggestion on how to make it happen

We gave up after a couple of months and decided if ME couldn't figure this out, we were with the wrong firm. So we simply gave up on ME, waited thru the rest of the 6 month bonus period, and transferred the funds back to TDA.

BTW Unlike ME's inability to provide a linked online account access, when we started with Scottrade in 2015 they linked all 5 accounts on my login, including 2 accounts owned by my DW, with very minimal effort and no drama. It might have taken all of 15 minutes in their local office. Something that ME couldn't do even after completing many pages of forms and dozens of customer service contacts.

Gretzky

Post by Gretzky » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:17 pm

We've been happy with Merrill Edge for all the same reasons mentioned above, although they do not offer Custodial Roth IRA's (which is what lead us to Vanguard).

Mr. Digweed

Post by Mr. Digweed » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:56 pm

ETFs (mostly Vanguard, BIV, BND and BNDX).

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 am

Captain kangaroo wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:01 pm
I love Merrill Edge.

I moved everything over from Fidelity. I get free trades, integrates seamlessly with Bank of America, I love their research tools and how it breaks down all of your asset allocations.
Can you say more about the seamless integration? Do you get one statement, or is there an option to get just one statement each month listing all BofA and ME accounts?

bluquark

Post by bluquark » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:54 am

No, separate statements. And you cannot instantly transfer funds from ME money market or ETF to BoA checking, there is a multi-day wait to settle. (The reverse is instantaneous, but I cared more about the ME->BoA direction in the hope of using ME like a higher-interest savings account.) Your login cookie is shared and the transfer mechanism is marginally faster than ACH but otherwise they are separate sites and services little more integrated than any other two institutions.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:04 am

bluquark wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:54 am
No, separate statements. And you cannot instantly transfer funds from ME money market or ETF to BoA checking, there is a multi-day wait to settle. (The reverse is instantaneous, but I cared more about the ME->BoA direction in the hope of using ME like a higher-interest savings account.) Your login cookie is shared and the transfer mechanism is marginally faster than ACH but otherwise they are separate sites and services little more integrated than any other two institutions.
Interesting. I can see the 3 day settlement applying to liquidating of ETFs, but didn’t think it would apply to a money market mutual fund that is allowed as the default cash position in the account.

Separate statements/institutions is something I’d rather not have to deal with then. Seems like it would be easier to have a high yield savings account instead and I’m not even willing to deal with that.

bluquark

Post by bluquark » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:13 am

They don't allow a money market to be used as the settlement account. The ME settlement account is zero interest. It is indeed instantaneous to transfer money from that.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:17 am

bluquark wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:13 am
They don't allow a money market to be used as the settlement account. The ME settlement account is zero interest. It is indeed instantaneous to transfer money from that.
You can immediately transfer it to the BofA account and earn 0.1%!

bluquark

Post by bluquark » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:21 am

Woohoo!

Despite my complaining, overall I don't regret having set up a ME account where I just hold the bare minimum of Muni bonds to meet the Premium rewards threshold and get the best credit card cashback possible anywhere. However, I cannot find any other use for it. People here love to complain about Vanguard's website and brokerage (usually in comparison to Fidelity, which I haven't tried), but I personally find almost everything about Vanguard is better than ME.

dogagility

Post by dogagility » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:16 am

bluquark wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:21 am
Despite my complaining, overall I don't regret having set up a ME account where I just hold the bare minimum of Muni bonds to meet the Premium rewards threshold and get the best credit card cashback possible anywhere. However, I cannot find any other use for it. People here love to complain about Vanguard's website and brokerage (usually in comparison to Fidelity, which I haven't tried), but I personally find almost everything about Vanguard is better than ME.
+1 I'm only at ME because of a company 401k and the preferred rewards credit card.
Customer service is lacking compared to Fidelity. Love Fidelity. They recently notarized a document for DW and I so we could move my pension to my ME 401k. Just a smile, a chat, and quick service with no questions asked.
"The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient" -- Warren Buffett

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:22 am

bluquark wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:13 am
This is my experience as well. Technically it does pay interest but only about 0.14%.

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:31 am

bluquark wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:21 am
Woohoo!

I have both Vanguard and ME and I am satisfied with both places. The only minus for Vanguard is they do not have 7/24 customer service. Most things can wait but I want the option for emergency.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 am

wife and I moved to ME for the bonus and don't see any reason to switch back at the moment. Free trades and integration with BOA is a plus.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:19 am

SobeCane wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm
BashDash wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 pm
How much do you have with them and what type of retention bonuses are you receiving?
yes, please tell..and how long after you received the bonus..1 year?

tricon23

Post by tricon23 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:25 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 am
wife and I moved to ME for the bonus and don't see any reason to switch back at the moment. Free trades and integration with BOA is a plus.
All of my wife's accounts made it over in about 2 weeks (from other firms). Her IRA from EMPOWER for whatever reason (liquidate and transfer to ME) has been a challenge. It's been over 30 days and been on phone multiple times with both sides to determine where the holdup is. Other than that all is fine with trades and B-O-A side etc.