Problem at Vanguard?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mindboggling

Problem at Vanguard?

Post by mindboggling » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm

It's 7:10pm EDT and Vanguard hasn't updated my balances yet. Usually it happens at 6:30pm sharp. Anyone else notice this? My values are still from yesterday.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Problem at Vanguard?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 pm

mindboggling wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm
It's 7:10pm EDT and Vanguard hasn't updated my balances yet. Usually it happens at 6:30pm sharp. Anyone else notice this? My values are still from yesterday.
mindboggling:

I look at my balances twice a year. It is probably too often. :happy

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Mine usually aren't fully updated until 10:00 EST. It varies.

Your times look quite early for all the updates to be done. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:38 pm

If you looked more often, then you would see this lack of timely updating more often and not be worried about it. So my advice is to look more often.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Cody6136

Post by Cody6136 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:41 pm

mindboggling wrote:
My transfers hit and the giant influx of dollars brought things to a halt temporarily. But they're back on line. Sorry for the inconvenience, but you BH types made it clear that I needed to let go of my investments in Friendster, Arabian horses and timeshares near Galveston.

Topic Author
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:55 pm

OP here. I am not really concerned. It's just a bad habit I have to look. I'm a long-term investor; I rarely make a move. It was just something I noticed. Where I am (upstate NY) updates always occur at 6:30pm. I've heard that Vanguard monitors this site and it was just a reminder to them that people notice.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 pm

mindboggling wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:55 pm
OP here. I am not really concerned. It's just a bad habit I have to look. I'm a long-term investor; I rarely make a move. It was just something I noticed. Where I am (upstate NY) updates always occur at 6:30pm. I've heard that Vanguard monitors this site and it was just a reminder to them that people notice.
They used to update the site at 6PM EST, it's common that they update at later times. If they do its usually because a data feed may be delayed that permits them to calculate the NAV of funds - that may or may not be the reason, but I think it's less of a Vanguard issue and more of an outside service provider issue. So long as they calculate by end of day (11:59 pm EST), I wouldn't worry too much.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Op I use Morningstar portfolio watch and compare it to Vanguard, generally the balance is ready by 7:30PM EST.

Today the Morningstar PW was ready by 7:14PM

mary1969

Post by mary1969 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:00 pm

i check all my financial stuff every night. Do so for my elderly parents as well.

Nothing has ever come up with Vanguard but every now and then i find some nickle and dime stuff with a credit card company or bank. Any issue has almost always involved my kids or elderly parents.

Takes 2 minutes Worth the effort.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. Not sure why people care or give you a hard time for this.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 pm

mary1969 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:00 pm
Do what makes you feel comfortable. Not sure why people care or give you a hard time for this.
because research shows that people who check their portfolios often generally make changes more than those that check fewer times. Those changes can lead to underperformance. Years ago, Barry Ritholtz quoted a paper by Michael Mauboussin that found people who checked their portfolios daily had significant underperformance relative to people who checked once a year.

There's an old line that a portfolio is like a wet bar of soap. The more you handle it, the smaller it gets.

I know the OP has not said s/he's planning on making changes, but checking frequently begs the question, "If you don't plan on making changes why check so frequently?"

Sure fraud or mistakes can occur, but they should be rare, not common. Certainly not common enough to warrant checking daily.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

hudson

No Problem

Post by hudson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Today they were later than usual.
For several months or longer they've been faster. It wasn't long ago when the results weren't ready until the next morning.
I'm not concerned.
I have no problem with someone who checks their holdings daily or yearly.
I login frequently to check and move idle cash from the settlement fund. I also want to know what's going on.
It's my job; it takes less than 5 minutes a day.
Last edited by hudson on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:41 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 pm
mary1969 wrote:
because research shows that people who check their portfolios often generally make changes more than those that check fewer times. Those changes can lead to underperformance. Years ago, Barry Ritholtz quoted a paper by Michael Mauboussin that found people who checked their portfolios daily had significant underperformance relative to people who checked once a year.

There's an old line that a portfolio is like a wet bar of soap. The more you handle it, the smaller it gets.

I know the OP has not said s/he's planning on making changes, but checking frequently begs the question, "If you don't plan on making changes why check so frequently?"

Sure fraud or mistakes can occur, but they should be rare, not common. Certainly not common enough to warrant checking daily.
Wasn't there also a study about the best-performing investors were ones who had forgotten they had an account (or who had died ....)? :P

satoriboat

Post by satoriboat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Re: Taylor Larimore response to OP in the thread. The OP asked what would be a reasonable question anywhere in the world except here. Here the orthodoxy is so powerful that the "Dean of the bogleheads" calls the guys reasonable behavior " mind boggling" and it isn't even considered rude or hostile. I thought that sort of behavior was banned here but rudeness in defense of the boglehead rules of investing is just fine. Where is Lady Geek when we really need her?

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:16 pm

satoriboat wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:11 pm
Re: Taylor Larimore response to OP in the thread. The OP asked what would be a reasonable question anywhere in the world except here. Here the orthodoxy is so powerful that the "Dean of the bogleheads" calls the guys reasonable behavior " mind boggling" and it isn't even considered rude or hostile.
OP’s user name is “mindboggling”.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 pm

6:30 - 7:30 doesn't make much of a difference. But please explain why my 401K can take 24+ hours to update!

KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:22 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:16 pm
satoriboat wrote:
Re: Taylor Larimore response to OP in the thread. The OP asked what would be a reasonable question anywhere in the world except here. Here the orthodoxy is so powerful that the "Dean of the bogleheads" calls the guys reasonable behavior " mind boggling" and it isn't even considered rude or hostile.
Now who owes an apology to whom? :shock:

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:33 pm

mindboggling wrote:
Rare that I check balances. No need too. Log on when we buy.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 pm

I think it's wise to check often, even daily, but not for balances - well maybe share balances. You just want to make sure everything is still there - values change every day so they don't matter as much.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:02 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:41 pm
Wasn't there also a study about the best-performing investors were ones who had forgotten they had an account (or who had died ....)? :P
No, it was their advisors who had died.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 pm

FYI: On January 1 I checked the balance of my IRA so I could compute the amount of my very first RMD. Wheee! By the time Vanguard computed the RMD a few days later, the figures had changed. Not a lot, but my initial RMD calculation was off. No big deal. Just interesting. Apparently checking as soon as possible can result in incorrect data. Might as well wait a bit.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:20 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:16 pm
satoriboat wrote:
And he did use the smile emoji, so its hardly hostile :)

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:02 pm
TropikThunder wrote:
No, it was their advisors who had died.
:sharebeer

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 pm

Cody6136 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:41 pm
mindboggling wrote:
My transfers hit and the giant influx of dollars brought things to a halt temporarily. But they're back on line. Sorry for the inconvenience, but you BH types made it clear that I needed to let go of my investments in Friendster, Arabian horses and timeshares near Galveston.
Hopefully you held onto the gold though.

Cody6136

Post by Cody6136 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:46 am

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 pm
Cody6136 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:41 pm
mindboggling wrote:
Hopefully you held onto the gold though.
Indeed I did. My best hedge against rationality. Or is that irrationality?

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am

I noticed that too. I usually tell the wife that she should check at 6:30PM Eastern time and the balances will be updated. I was wondering with the large movement of the Dow and S & P 500, and Nasdaq if perhaps that was related to the later updating. I don't know if there was higher volume yesterday with the big upswing.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 am

satoriboat wrote:
Re: Taylor Larimore response to OP in the thread. The OP asked what would be a reasonable question anywhere in the world except here. Here the orthodoxy is so powerful that the "Dean of the bogleheads" calls the guys reasonable behavior " mind boggling" and it isn't even considered rude or hostile. I thought that sort of behavior was banned here but rudeness in defense of the boglehead rules of investing is just fine. Where is Lady Geek when we really need her?
Jack Bogle called Taylor, "King of the Bogleheads."

Long live the king! :beer

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Silence Dogood wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 am
satoriboat wrote:

I aspire to be like Taylor and only look twice a year. I am currently down to just 180 days :wink:

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:43 pm

Vanguard posting fund prices is entirely dependent on receiving good end of day prices from markets all over the world, provided by vendors they don't control. Likely one or more of them were either late in reporting, or the automated screens Vanguard has to detect bad prices got tripped and they had to get them right before updating fund prices.

With more global investing, there are increased chances that will happen from time to time.

mary1969

Post by mary1969 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:06 pm

mary1969 wrote:

Easing on the lecturing. Do your self a favor and just worry about your own situation and instead making judgments and assumptions about other peoples situation. I think the OP asked about Vanguard, not a smug lecture.

FYI, my house, financial independence etc all came from futures trading and passive low cost index investing. I think I can handle checking my finances on a daily basis. My situation and the OP situation are unique to ourselves. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Gill

Post by Gill » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:11 pm

I guess I'm guilty of checking my account daily, and I also noticed Tuesday night June 4th was an abberation. The balance in my account seemed incorrect in view of the rally in the market that day and the following morning the account had increased in value by about one percent, about the amount I had expected earlier. All was well.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:37 pm

TropikThunder wrote:
mary1969 wrote:

sorry you didn't hear...that "study" has long been debunked:
source: http://financialuproar.com/2016/08/30/r ... tors-best/
Allow me to quote from the New York Times.

Here’s how to get better returns in your retirement account: Pay as little attention to it as possible.

That was the conclusion of a study by the investment giant Fidelity, according to a 2014 article on Business Insider. The article relayed the transcript of a Bloomberg program in which the well-known money manager Jim O’Shaughnessy said that people who had forgotten that they had accounts outperformed everyone else.

Fidelity, which has received inquiries about the study ever since, without knowing why, told me this week that it had never produced such a study.

Oh man that’s great. Somebody made the whole thing up
Time to put that story to rest. But like a zombie...it keeps coming back to life every so often.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Silence Dogood wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 am
satoriboat wrote:

I liked Taylor’s response. Except I think he checks his portfolio too often. I check once each year mid December to see if need to TLH but that is it. Not that I criticize anyone for checking portfolio as often as they wish, but I have lots more important things to do, tomorrow for example lunch with friends and harvest mangoes and check my backyard honeybee hives. Now those are important. Agree with the sentiment, Long Live
The King. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Time to put that story to rest. But like a zombie...it keeps coming back to life every so often.
Zombies. Also disproven?
Retired 2018 | Every day I choose how I spend my energy | One Vanguard TDF except for bunch of individual stocks...still recovering from my Fidelity AUM days years ago | Now sleeping well at night

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:01 pm

I'm not LadyGeek, as one poster called for her, but several posts are getting testy. To keep the topic open, let's remember the Forum Rules on respecting each other's positions. They are here: rules#Moderation

And here:
Discussions should be conducted without fondness for dispute or desire for victory. - Benjamin Franklin

This is a moderated forum. We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones. Discussions are about issues, not people. If you disagree with an idea, go ahead and marshal all your forces against it. But do not confuse ideas with the person posting them. At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable. If you feel that someone has attacked you or otherwise violated the policies of this forum, do not respond in kind. Instead, please click the report button on the offending post. This is the quickest method to notify the site moderators.
And so Moderators will not have to delete posts, there is this in the Rules: Remember that you can edit your own posts even after submitting them, so comments made in anger or haste can be rephrased before the problem escalates or a moderator has to step in.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:03 pm

FYI - I removed an off-topic post and comment.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 pm
Op I use Morningstar portfolio watch and compare it to Vanguard, generally the balance is ready by 7:30PM EST.

I use Morningstar Portfolio Manager, it generally updates at 6:00 p.m. central time.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:12 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 pm
retire2022 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:37 pm

I use Morningstar Portfolio Manager, it generally updates at 6:00 p.m. central time.
Since Morningstar (or any other aggregator) depends on Vanguard (and other fund providers) to get fund prices, if the fund provider is late the aggregator will be late as well. Or they go with stale prices.

Morningstar updating at 6:00 central time just means they aren't subject to as many variations as Vanguard.

inves76

Post by inves76 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Wife and my brokerage and rollover IRA accounts have disappeared from my Vanguard balance. Great!
$150k missing. I checked the account this morning and everything was there correctly. Should I be worried?

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 pm
mindboggling wrote:
mindboggling:

I look at my balances twice a year. It is probably too often. :happy

Best wishes.
Taylor
Good thing you are with Vanguard and not Madoff Investment Holdings Inc. :D .

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:55 pm

inves76 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:29 pm
Wife and my brokerage and rollover IRA accounts have disappeared from my Vanguard balance. Great!
$150k missing. I checked the account this morning and everything was there correctly. Should I be worried?
You probably looked when they were in the middle of updated their accounting systems.

Nope - it get reported here occasionally, and always fixes itself.

inves76

Post by inves76 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 pm

inves76 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:29 pm
After contact Vanguard the only thing I have clear is it doesn’t look good.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:15 am

mindboggling wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:55 pm
OP, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I just heard you say that your original post was intended not to seek any advice on your personal situation but rather to get Vanguard's attention in an effort to seek its institutional help in enabling your own self-admitted "bad habit". Say whaaaattt?? :confused

Bottom line: It saddens me to think that this forum might be used to influence/advocate/manipulate Vanguard's business practices - over which the forum has no control as OP obliquely acknowledges - in order to feed into (by the poster's own admission) a "bad habit", and thus move Vanguard in a direction that is in direct conflict with BH philosophy and everything Mr. Bogle a/k/a Jack (RIP) stood for....

SoAnyway, two things:

To Vanguard: If you're watching/listening, please note OP's post. Please also note that if Vanguard were to give it any serious mind, Vanguard would have FAR more to lose from the rest of us - from Mr. Larimore (a/k/a Taylor) on down.

OP, I understand your impulse but it's up to you to own your bad habit and deal with it responsibly. Mr. Larimore's response was the right one.
If you can't help but look every day, the folks here can help you. Please don't make your shortcomings Vanguard's problem.
If you feel you must, the Vanguard site has oodles of ways for you to get in touch with them and voice your concerns re. their business practices. Have you tried those routes? If not, I encourage you to do so. After all, unlike the volunteers here, those excellent folks are paid to attend to your needs. If so, and you remain unsatisfied, Fido and Schwab would be happy to accept a transfer of your Vanguard accounts. Plenty of others would too, although I'd be more cautious.

Good luck!
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:40 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Moderator Jbranx