Just Got a Call From Fidelity

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bck63

Just Got a Call From Fidelity

Post by bck63 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Just got a voicemail from a Fidelity rep thanking me for my business (opened accounts there in January and all new money is going to Fido index funds). He says he's an "advisor" and just wants to make sure everything's going okay.

Is this a pure sales call? Loving Fido and am inclined to just call back. Not interested in advisor services. Should I return the call? Don't want to get sucked into anything.

student

Re: Just Got a Call From Fidelity

Post by student » Fri May 31, 2019 1:26 pm

There is no need to call back. It may or may not be a sales call. When I opened an account with Etrade, I also got a call thanking me and asked me whether I need any help.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri May 31, 2019 1:30 pm

Cool. You can call back to say, "Never call me again."

In other news, my son got a letter from Vanguard threatening to kick him out of Voyager Select status which is amusing since he's never had more than $3,000 at Vanguard in his entire life.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:32 pm

I've been a Fidelity Private Client for years. Whenever my Private Client Personal Manager changes, I've received a voicemail. I actually met one of the dozen or so managers I've had. I happened to be at their branch trying to make heads or tails of a New York Life 403b we were trying to move into Fidelity. He knew who I was and said "Hi, you're the indexing guy". Yes....yes I am.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm

bck63 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:23 pm
Just got a voicemail from a Fidelity rep thanking me for my business (opened accounts there in January and all new money is going to Fido index funds). He says he's an "advisor" and just wants to make sure everything's going okay.

Is this a pure sales call? Loving Fido and am inclined to just call back. Not interested in advisor services. Should I return the call? Don't want to get sucked into anything.
I’d call back and say thanks for the call and my t-shirt size is large. When should I expect it?

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:35 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:30 pm
In other news, my son got a letter from Vanguard threatening to kick him out of Voyager Select status which is amusing since he's never had more than $3,000 at Vanguard in his entire life.
That's crazy! If it was me I'd call back and use a phrase from my wild youth -- "I've been kicked out of a lot better places than THIS!"

glock19

Post by glock19 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:40 pm

bck63 wrote:

Call him back. Get to know your advisor. They can help at times if you need certain forms, account changes, etc. If he is selling something that is not of interest to you be honest and tell him so. Unless you are very fragile you are not going to get "sucked in" to anything.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri May 31, 2019 1:42 pm

Yes, I would call back and talk to him for a few minutes. Every once in a while, you get information that is new and useful.

YMMV
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Mine didn't stop calling me until I called him back. I simply called, said I didn't need any help, and asked he never call again unless I reached out first. Only took a minute - he was very polite and certainly didn't try to sell anything to me (based on my statements).

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri May 31, 2019 1:45 pm

livesoft wrote:

Yes, both my kids got the same letter with an offer to transfer $500,000 to Vanguard to maintain status. Considering they have low 5 figures in their accounts, we got a good laugh out of that one. Seems like someone messed up a mailing.

chambers136

Post by chambers136 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:10 pm

livesoft wrote:
A guy at work was told he was getting kicked out of Flagship. He is not even close to 1M, but apparently when he lived with his parents, if the total of all accounts at that address exceed 1M, they are all Flagship.

Regarding the Fidelity call, those can be good to get at times. We have a taxable account at Schwab and they call a few times a year. No sales pressure, just asking how things are going. If I have something I've been wanted to address, I answer. Otherwise I let it go to voicemail and they will just call back in another 4-6 month to check in. So I wouldn't be too rude about it when you talk to them unless they are trying some unwelcome sales pressure.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Fri May 31, 2019 2:19 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:32 pm
I've been a Fidelity Private Client for years. Whenever my Private Client Personal Manager changes, I've received a voicemail. I actually met one of the dozen or so managers I've had. I happened to be at their branch trying to make heads or tails of a New York Life 403b we were trying to move into Fidelity. He knew who I was and said "Hi, you're the indexing guy". Yes....yes I am.
The indexing guy! :sharebeer
Last edited by Wiggums on Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm

bck63 wrote:

I get these calls regularly - at least 2 times a year. These are prospecting calls. I just tell the rep i have everything under control. Of course never give account info over the phone.

justaguy01

Post by justaguy01 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Hello bck63 – I am in a similar position (recently switched over to Fidelity) and it sounds like I received the same call. I called the rep back; she was very nice, didn’t try to sell me anything or change anything. It was kind of a ‘welcome to the neighborhood’ call.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm

I still get an occasional voicemail. I have never responded or called back; the frequency of these voicemails seems to be diminishing, much to my satisfaction.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Fri May 31, 2019 3:03 pm

chambers136 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:10 pm
livesoft wrote:
A guy at work was told he was getting kicked out of Flagship. He is not even close to 1M, but apparently when he lived with his parents, if the total of all accounts at that address exceed 1M, they are all Flagship.
DD got a similar letter a couple of days ago. I assumed it was because I had been listed on the account when her Roth was opened as a minor. I finally got her to take me off the account in the last year or so. Now it is no longer under our umbrella. I think her statements still come to our house- at least this letter did. So could be multiple factors in play.

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm

justaguy01 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:34 pm
Hello bck63 – I am in a similar position (recently switched over to Fidelity) and it sounds like I received the same call. I called the rep back; she was very nice, didn’t try to sell me anything or change anything. It was kind of a ‘welcome to the neighborhood’ call.
Thanks justaguy01. I will call him Monday.

retired_tom

Post by retired_tom » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:54 am

Same here. Right after I moved everything over to Fidelity, I started getting calls. They wanted to set up a meeting to go over my account. I explained that I was just trying to simplify, and didn't need any assistance. They were pretty adamant over the next few weeks, so I figured I go meet with them, after all it's their time. Actually, it was a very informative meeting. They didn't try to push anything after I explained that all I wanted to do is index. The rep asked if there was anything I didn't understand that he could help explain. We went over my retirement plans. He suggested the indexes that they thought I should invest in. He gave me his card and said I could call, or email him, anytime and ask questions. Actually, it was a pleasant experience. They've never called me again.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:56 am

glock19 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:40 pm
bck63 wrote:

Call him back. Get to know your advisor. They can help at times if you need certain forms, account changes, etc. If he is selling something that is not of interest to you be honest and tell him so. Unless you are very fragile you are not going to get "sucked in" to anything.
+ 1.

Call back. If it's just a courtesy call return the courtesy. You might learn something, or want some assistance in the future.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:10 am

When I used Fidelity for investments, I had an account manager who I would meet with once a year. She always tried to sell me on Fidelity funds in lieu of Vanguard ETFs and my DIY, but was not pushy. She also pointed me to resources, like bond desk, when I had needs. She also invited me to briefings on market and so forth. I found the annual review helpful. It enabled me to ask questions and bounce ideas off of someone. It was good to be eyeball to eyeball with someone at the firm my money was at. I certainly do not get that at Vanguard.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:59 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:56 am
glock19 wrote:
bck63 wrote:

+ 1.

Call back. If it's just a courtesy call return the courtesy. You might learn something, or want some assistance in the future.
+2. Good to have a name and number to call should you need something in the future.

FWIW, I was "assigned" a PC rep some 15 years ago or thereabouts. I told him from the onset I was not interested in buying anything, that I managed my own investments and as long as he largely left me alone we'd get along just fine. Over the years he's periodically called to check in (less than annually) and after a few attempts to try and convince me there was something Fidelity could do to help, he has pretty much stop bothering. Honestly, for the most part if I need anything I just call the Private Client group phone number, although my PC rep did arrange a review of our wills with an estates expert at Fidelity some 6-8 years ago. It was worthwhile actually and it was clear they invested a decent amount of time into preparing a document to facilitate that discussion. I did not buy anything from them following that either.

I will add as well that I have had the same PC rep since the beginning. It seems PC rep's (or their equivalent) at Vanguard change from time to time (lots of posts about people getting contacted from their new rep on this forum). That has not been my experience at Fidelity (although maybe my experience is atypical). Also, my rep is in the local office (about 10 miles from my house).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:59 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:56 am
glock19 wrote:
bck63 wrote:

+ 1.

+2. Good to have a name and number to call should you need something in the future.

FWIW, I was "assigned" a PC rep some 15 years ago or thereabouts. I told him from the onset I was not interested in buying anything, that I managed my own investments and as long as he largely left me alone we'd get along just fine. Over the years he's periodically called to check in (less than annually) and after a few attempts to try and convince me there was something Fidelity could do to help, he has pretty much stop bothering. Honestly, for the most part if I need anything I just call the Private Client group phone number, although my PC rep did arrange a review of our wills with an estates expert at Fidelity some 6-8 years ago. It was worthwhile actually and it was clear they invested a decent amount of time into preparing a document to facilitate that discussion. I did not buy anything from them following that either.

I will add as well that I have had the same PC rep since the beginning. It seems PC rep's (or their equivalent) at Vanguard change from time to time (lots of posts about people getting contacted from their new rep on this forum). That has not been my experience at Fidelity (although maybe my experience is atypical). Also, my rep is in the local office (about 10 miles from my house).
All of our accounts (joint taxable account, 2 Roth IRAs, my rollover IRA) are with Vanguard, and all of our investments are Vanguard index funds.

The few times I had to ask a assistance I always received help that was prompt, courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. Vanguard representatives, including the concierge service and bond desk, were most helpful in opening our accounts and in transferring assets in kind. And since then service has always met expectations. I have never receiveded any unsolicited calls from Vanguard.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:14 pm

It's definitely worth returning the call and scheduling a meeting. I ignored those calls for a few years but eventually decided to see what was up. Fidelity already knew I self-managed with index funds and was not interested in any management services. I now have a regular once-a-year financial checkup meeting with my Fidelity rep and get no other calls from them during the year.

At the meetings the rep has occasionally remarked about funds that are currently out-performing my index fund choices, to which I respond "Thank you, I will take that into consideration." No sales pressure at all. When I had a question about what services Fidelity has for estate planning, she set up a meeting with an estate planner. It was not a sales meeting. The estate planner, a former estate attorney, made it clear he could not sell me any legal services, I would have to do that through an attorney (and Fidelity advised me how to go about finding a local estate attorney). They went through all accounts to make sure I had the beneficiaries set up correctly, suggested how to allocate inheritances to beneficiaries of different ages for best tax treatment, discussed trusts, and answered an oddball question I had about probate that would be difficult to find the answer to online. Well worth it.

Post by 123 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:43 pm

We used to get these calls from Fidelity and Schwab every 6 to 12 months. After I switched to using purchased money funds in the accounts the calls seemed to stop, I suspect because there were no "non-invested" funds in the accounts (no cash or default MMF positions).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

multiham

Post by multiham » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:04 pm

I always return the call. I don't know what you could be worried about. If they are pushy, simply say I've got to go and hang up. Then either call back or e-mail their main service number/e-mail and tell them you wish to not receive any more phone calls. I am with Schwab and Fidelity and probably get 1 to 2 calls per year. They just ask me if I need anything, want to meet, or have any questions. I typically say everything is good and they close by telling me to call at anytime. Very painless.

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:10 pm

multiham wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:04 pm
I always return the call. I don't know what you could be worried about.
Where did I say I was worried?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:15 pm

bck63 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:10 pm
multiham wrote:
Well I can see where someone could read your comment “Don't want to get sucked into anything” think that you were worrying about being sucked into something.

NMBob

Post by NMBob » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:21 pm

for a long time i never answered the courtesy call or whatever from Merrill Edge. One time i actually answered....and I was eventually asked if I had other accounts at other companies and if I had any interest in moving them to Merrill.....I said yes and "Never" and it seems I don't get as many phone messages, thatI don't return, any more.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:24 pm

I've never gotten a call, just an occasional "thought you would be interested in this" email. If he looks in my accounts, 99% will be Vanguard VT. That pretty much says "not worth calling this guy."
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:33 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:15 pm
bck63 wrote:
multiham wrote:
Well I can see where someone could read your comment “Don't want to get sucked into anything” think that you were worrying about being sucked into something.
No worries expressed or experienced. Just a question.

umfan11244

Post by umfan11244 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:42 pm

SquawkIdent wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm
bck63 wrote:

I’d call back and say thanks for the call and my t-shirt size is large. When should I expect it?
I'm with you, I'll never miss an opportunity for a free t-shirt!

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:52 pm

I've had accounts at Fidelity since 1979 when my first employer set up a retirement account for me their. I find their customer service excellent. However once in a while I get a call from an 'adviser' looking to manage my money which I DO NOT recommend.

I've learned that if you are unsure about things like asset allocation and whether you are saving enough for retirement they can be valuable. However the funds they want to put you into are pants. Interlocking confusions of funds of other people's funds with opaque fee structures and impossible to evaluate performance.

So mostly I listen politely but the call goes nowhere.

The most recent call I received from them was quite useful - it was to inform me they had opened a new local office much closer to me than the one I had been using.

So it is worthwhile to find out what they are calling about. Their portfolio reviews are not bad for free. However I would NOT give them any of my money to manage! Either use their brokerage services to buy Vanguard ETFs or Fidelity's clones of Vanguard funds.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm

livesoft wrote:
But... does/did he have Voyager Select status, perhaps through "affiliation" with rich parents? ;)

Pretty sure many years ago my now-wife got status for her Vanguard account before reaching the necessarily account balance threshold just because she was living we me (my account qualified).

multiham

Post by multiham » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:22 pm

bck63 wrote:
multiham wrote:
Sorry for the bad interpretation. Wasn't trying to cause any issues

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm

One safe bet is that this thread has taken more of your time than would have been spent returning the call. :) Of course, ditto for myself and anyone who has read this far.

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm
One safe bet is that this thread has taken more of your time than would have been spent returning the call. :) Of course, ditto for myself and anyone who has read this far.
Grateful to everyone who provided useful responses, you included. I will make the call and see what he has to say.

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:18 pm

bck63 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:47 pm
Luckywon wrote:
Grateful to everyone who provided useful responses, you included. I will make the call and see what he has to say.
I hope I didn't sound snarky with my off the cuff reflection on how almost any issue, large or small, is up for discussion here, which is not a bad thing. A pearl can be found hiding in almost any thread. Good luck with your call. FWIW, I like to be acquainted with the representative assigned to my account at each brokerage even though I do not use them for investment advice. They can occasionally be of assistance in other ways.

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Luckywon wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:18 pm
bck63 wrote:
Luckywon wrote:
FWIW, I like to be acquainted with the representative assigned to my account at each brokerage even though I do not use them for investment advice. They can occasionally be of assistance in other ways.
This is valuable advice. Thanks. Will call tomorrow. And no worries friend!

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Definitely a sales call. (he kept asking about the funds that I had at Vanguard and if I ever thought of consolidating....)

I just told the guy in no uncertain terms to add a 'no call' note to my file as I was a strict index guy -- two fund portfolio -- and that there was absolutely nothing that they would ever be able to help me with. (I get all the advice I need on BH.)

It was quiet for several years, but then I received a call from the new guy: 'hello, I see that you are on the Do Not Call list, but since I'm new, I thought I'd reach out to just update our file...' Me: 'yes, please continue the Do Not Call.

Short, professional and cordial.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:45 pm
livesoft wrote:

Yes, both my kids got the same letter with an offer to transfer $500,000 to Vanguard to maintain status. Considering they have low 5 figures in their accounts, we got a good laugh out of that one. Seems like someone messed up a mailing.
FYI, The status categories can also apply to family members all living at the same address. This can be useful, as an example, if none of you qualify for Flagship status individually but collectively you do and some of you want to buy into closed funds, which is a flagship benefit.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:21 pm

I’ve had a few calls recently from the local branch which I have let go to voicemail and have ignored. The message is that they would like to invite me to the branch to “go over” my portfolio. I haven't called back so neither my time nor their time is wasted.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 am

celia wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:52 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:45 pm
livesoft wrote:

FYI, The status categories can also apply to family members all living at the same address. This can be useful, as an example, if none of you qualify for Flagship status individually but collectively you do and some of you want to buy into closed funds, which is a flagship benefit.
I think that is probably it as the family as a whole has Voyager Select status. It was a confusing letter however as that was not mentioned and the letter made it sound as if you would be losing something if you did not take action.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:32 am

When I rolled over some 401K funds to Fidelity they wanted to get to know my situation more than I wanted them to. I just politely declined any offer for advice and they let me be.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

bck63 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:25 pm
Luckywon wrote:
bck63 wrote:
Luckywon wrote:
FWIW, I like to be acquainted with the representative assigned to my account at each brokerage even though I do not use them for investment advice. They can occasionally be of assistance in other ways.
OP, did you call yet? What did they say?

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:37 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm
bck63 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:25 pm
Luckywon wrote:
bck63 wrote:
Luckywon wrote:
Not yet. Crazy work day. But I am off tomorrow (thank goodness), will make the call, and will provide a full report.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:47 am

I've gotten the calls, always during a meeting so they go to voicemail. Last one I decided I want to talk to the rep because I have a specific question. I've called and left messages four times in the last six weeks and never received the courtesy of a call back. Sort of annoying and discouraging.

beyou

Post by beyou » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:38 am

Etrade calls me every time there is a non-trivial deposit, to sell me asset management services.
Despite telling them not to call again, they call anyway..

Topic Author
bck63

Post by bck63 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:25 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Reporting as promised on my call to Fidelity today. It went absolutely fine. No pressure. He did say one of his roles was to provide investment guidance, including retirement investing advice, and he asked if that is something that would interest me. I said no thank you, explained that I am a DIY investor, and that was it. Absolutely no push-back or pressure. He answered one account maintenance question I had accurately and thoroughly.

So, a good experience. And in fact I was a bit worried. Just didn't want to admit it. Very happy with Fidelity so far.

YoungBogle

Post by YoungBogle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm

bck63 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:25 pm
And in fact I was a bit worried. Just didn't want to admit it.
Where did I say that I was worried for you?!

Haha just kidding, just giving you a hard time 8-). Glad the phone call went well. Thanks for sharing!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:07 pm

bck63 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:25 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Reporting as promised on my call to Fidelity today. It went absolutely fine. No pressure. He did say one of his roles was to provide investment guidance, including retirement investing advice, and he asked if that is something that would interest me. I said no thank you, explained that I am a DIY investor, and that was it. Absolutely no push-back or pressure. He answered one account maintenance question I had accurately and thoroughly.

So, a good experience. And in fact I was a bit worried. Just didn't want to admit it. Very happy with Fidelity so far.
I am glad all went well.

Thank you for the update.