Thoughts on Schwab

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
worthless

Thoughts on Schwab

Post by worthless » Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I have a Schwab brokerage account. I have my roth through Vanguard along with a brokerage account as well. I am not a big fan of Vanguard’s customer service and am considering transferring the Roth over to Schwab. What are y’all’s thoughts? Also, would I lose money doing that?

Jack FFR1846

Re: Thoughts on Schwab

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:30 pm

I don't see how you'd lose money. I have a taxable account at Schwab and my wife has here Roth there. I'd say that out of everyone, they're the easiest to deal with. I buy Schwab ETFs there. They're equal or cheaper than similar Vanguard ones (I have Vanguard ones over at TDAmeritrade).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon May 13, 2019 2:34 pm

worthless wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm
I have a Schwab brokerage account. I have my roth through Vanguard along with a brokerage account as well. I am not a big fan of Vanguard’s customer service and am considering transferring the Roth over to Schwab. What are y’all’s thoughts? Also, would I lose money doing that?
My own personal preference is Vanguard, we have all accounts (joint taxable account, 2 Roth IRAs, and my rollover) at Vanguard and use only Vanguard Index funds.

If you prefer Schwab or think their customer service is better thats fine, go ahead and move your Roth IRA. There is a lot of personal preference involved in choosing between low cost providers like Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab. I do see a benefit in the convenience of having all retirement/investing accounts at one fund firm.

I don't believe you would lose money, and certainly would not try predict losing or gaining money because of the transfer of your Roth IRA. The differences in expense ratios are tiny and probably inconsequential.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Jmh04j

Post by Jmh04j » Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm

I have a Schwab account but am now leaning towards using Fidelity for three (3) main reasons:

- Lack of commission-free Total International Fund/ETF

- Low interest paid on cash

- They will not let you trade until transferred $ hits your account. This is annoying on big down days when you want to buy. The only alternative is keeping cash as Schwab; however, the rate is low.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Jmh04j wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm
I have a Schwab account but am now leaning towards using Fidelity for three (3) main reasons:

- They will not let you trade until transferred $ hits your account. This is annoying on big down days when you want to buy. The only alternative is keeping cash as Schwab; however, the rate is low.
You could combine Schwab's international equity (SCHF), emerging markets equity (SCHE) and international small-cap equity (SCHC) ETFs. More annoying than a total international fund but not too terrible. They're low-cost and track the same indices as their equivalent Vanguard funds.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 pm

worthless wrote:
I have transferred both taxable and Roth IRA accounts from Vanguard to Schwab very easily. I was able to transfer in-kind shares of Vanguard Admiral class funds with no time out of the market, very expeditiously.

I have not seen any downside. Then again, I do not hold any money market accounts at Schwab. I understand that Vanguard´s money market funds pay more than their Schwab counterparts.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:06 pm

I highly recommend you switching to Schwab from Vanguard. My experience with transferring from Vanguard to Schwab has been excellent.

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Mon May 13, 2019 3:37 pm

I have accounts at Schwab, Fidelity, and TDA.
I like Schwab's platform and customer service the most out of those three.

I don't have a Vanguard account, so I can't compare to that.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Mon May 13, 2019 3:40 pm

I have accounts at Schwab, Fidelity, and Vanguard.
I like Schwab's platform and customer service the most out of those three.
I use fidelity for CMA and VG mostly for BH 3-fund.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

snailderby

Post by snailderby » Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm

If you plan to use mutual funds instead of ETFs in a taxable account, many of Vanguard's mutual funds are more tax-efficient than their Fidelity or Schwab counterparts. See https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/ETFs_vs ... uard_funds and https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019 ... tax-dodge/. But I don't know if that's your situation.
Last edited by snailderby on Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

togb

Post by togb » Mon May 13, 2019 5:57 pm

I currently have accounts at Schwab, Fidelity, TRowePrice. In the past, with employer 401Ks or on my own, I've had accounts with TD Ameritrade, Ameriprise and Wells Fargo.

Schwab has been my main brokerage for many years, and I have no plans to change that. They are very easy to do business with and I've found the service to be consistently very good. I have my main tIRA there, my Roth, my inherited IRA, a custodial account, a trust account, and a couple brokerage accounts.

Reasons I like them:
1. it's easy to transfer money electronically from account to account including my non-Schwab checking accounts.
2. Low fees, strong service.
3. Access to more funds and EFTs than I need, at low/no fees.

What I don't like and how I deal with it.
1. Huge fee to buy Vanguard funds. I deal with this by making large purchases since it's a flat fee, then reinvest dividends. Later, it turned out I can get Vanguard funds in my 401K without a fee so it's okay. And there is usually an EFT equivalent
2. Cash just sitting there doesn't earn much. But with a few clicks I can park it in a MM that earns 2.29%. Or if it's a taxable account, I use a couple muni funds that yield 2.5-3.5%.

I have transferred accounts to/from Schwab-- they make it quick and painless.
Last edited by togb on Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DE11

Post by DE11 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 pm

togb wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:57 pm
1. Huge fee to buy Vanguard funds. I deal with this by making large purchases since it's a flat fee, then reinvest dividends. Later, it turned out I can get Vanguard funds in my 401K without a fee so it's okay. And there is usually an EFT equivalent
2. Cash just sitting there doesn't earn much. But with a few clicks I can park it in a MM that earns 2.9%. Or if it's a taxable account, I use a couple muni funds that yield 2.5-3.5%.
I just opened a Schwab checking/brokerage account last wekk and am working on getting it funded. What money market fund are you using that yields 2.9%?

togb

Post by togb » Mon May 13, 2019 8:17 pm

DE11 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 pm
I just opened a Schwab checking/brokerage account last wekk and am working on getting it funded. What money market fund are you using that yields 2.9%?
[/quote]

Sorry, I was typing too fast-- it yields 2.29. (I missed the second 2... have edited my post above.) It's SWVXX.

bradinsky

Post by bradinsky » Mon May 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Schwab’s money market fund, SWVXX, is currently yielding 2.26%.

fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Schwab Yield Plus was an unforgivable disaster. If your unfamiliar, then do an internet search, then ask why in the world would you trust that company with your money?

I don't.

/

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon May 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Background on Schwab Yield Plus for those curious: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/14/busi ... orris.html

This is the crux of it:
As the financial crisis was growing, Schwab decided that a security’s maturity was not, as it previously said and as any normal person would think, the date a security was scheduled to mature. Instead, it decided that a security that would mature in 20 years, but whose interest rate was reset every month, had a one-month maturity.
This meant that Schwab couldn't wait for securities in the fund to mature, they had to sell them for whatever they could get during a crisis that froze liquidity and left investors clamoring to cash out.

Elric

Post by Elric » Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 pm

togb wrote:
If you have a large enough portfolio, your Schawb rep. can also comp. purchases on a given fund or so. That may be another option if buying Vanguard Mutual Funds through Schwab.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

drk

Post by drk » Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 am

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm
You could combine Schwab's international equity (SCHF), emerging markets equity (SCHE) and international small-cap equity (SCHC) ETFs. More annoying than a total international fund but not too terrible. They're low-cost and track the same indices as their equivalent Vanguard funds.
After the commission-free ETF update, I would actually recommend the combination of SPDW and SPEM because it adds EM small-caps at market-weight with one fewer piece.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue May 14, 2019 3:24 pm

drk wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 am
HawkeyePierce wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm
After the commission-free ETF update, I would actually recommend the combination of SPDW and SPEM because it adds EM small-caps at market-weight with one fewer piece.
Good point, I didn't think about other fund families that trade commission-free at Schwab.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Tue May 14, 2019 3:35 pm

I have both Schwab and Vanguard. Schwab's customer service is superior.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 pm

fatmike91 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Schwab Yield Plus was an unforgivable disaster. If your unfamiliar, then do an internet search, then ask why in the world would you trust that company with your money?
Perhaps they have learned their lesson and will be extra careful to avoid the same problem in the future?

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Tue May 14, 2019 3:45 pm

I have most accounts at Schwab. Generally no complaints. Customer Service has been good.

GNXGuy

Post by GNXGuy » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Low interest paid on cash?????? I think your missing something.

Why are you not using their money market fund paying like 2.2%+ right now.

Joe

Jmh04j wrote:

GNXGuy

Post by GNXGuy » Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Huge fee for buying Vanguard funds at Schwab????!! not so. it’s a simple as calling your representative that you have a relationship with and ask them to waive the transaction fee. Easy peasey.

togb wrote:
I currently have accounts at Schwab, Fidelity, TRowePrice. In the past, with employer 401Ks or on my own, I've had accounts with TD Ameritrade, Ameriprise and Wells Fargo.

Schwab has been my main brokerage for many years, and I have no plans to change that. They are very easy to do business with and I've found the service to be consistently very good. I have my main tIRA there, my Roth, my inherited IRA, a custodial account, a trust account, and a couple brokerage accounts.

Reasons I like them:
1. it's easy to transfer money electronically from account to account including my non-Schwab checking accounts.
2. Low fees, strong service.
3. Access to more funds and EFTs than I need, at low/no fees.

2. Cash just sitting there doesn't earn much. But with a few clicks I can park it in a MM that earns 2.29%. Or if it's a taxable account, I use a couple muni funds that yield 2.5-3.5%.

I have transferred accounts to/from Schwab-- they make it quick and painless.

pkjr

Post by pkjr » Tue May 14, 2019 10:46 pm

GNXGuy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm
Huge fee for buying Vanguard funds at Schwab????!! not so. it’s a simple as calling your representative that you have a relationship with and ask them to waive the transaction fee. Easy peasey.
But that defeats a possibility of automatic weekly/monthly investing.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed May 15, 2019 7:38 am

pkjr wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:46 pm
GNXGuy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm
But that defeats a possibility of automatic weekly/monthly investing.
And automatic investing of new contributions every pay period is a basic need for most investors in the accumulation stage.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Jmh04j

Post by Jmh04j » Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 am

GNXGuy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Joe

Jmh04j wrote:

Yes, low interest laid on idle cash. True, you could purchase a money market fund but if I want to use those funds to purchase an ETF, I would need to sell the money market and wait for the funds to settle before purchasing new stocks/ETFs. Both Vanguard and Fidelity pay 5x more on idle cash that can be invested at any time.

Let me know if I am missing something. I like Schwab’s website and apps but this is a big issue for me.

fallingeggs

Post by fallingeggs » Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 am

Just one benefit of Schwab (which is my only brokerage)... the debit card rebates all ATM fees and has no foreign exchange fees. It's the bee's knees for traveling. Can pull out cash using most of the world's ATMs for free; from Las Vegas or Istanbul.

I'm early in my accumulation phase and run a relatively low cash balance/emergency fund, so the points mentioned above hasn't bothered me.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am

I have had accounts at Schwab, Fidelity and Vanguard for over 30 years. I now have most of my money at Vanguard.

I don't trust Schwab. Its not just the yield plus thing, but lots of things they have done over the years.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

GNXGuy

Post by GNXGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 pm

I trust you know you have 2 days to settle the account after a purchase. Plenty of time to sell SWVXX to cover.

Jmh04j wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 am
GNXGuy wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Joe

Jmh04j wrote:

Yes, low interest laid on idle cash. True, you could purchase a money market fund but if I want to use those funds to purchase an ETF, I would need to sell the money market and wait for the funds to settle before purchasing new stocks/ETFs. Both Vanguard and Fidelity pay 5x more on idle cash that can be invested at any time.

Let me know if I am missing something. I like Schwab’s website and apps but this is a big issue for me.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Thu May 16, 2019 5:14 am

GNXGuy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 pm
I trust you know you have 2 days to settle the account after a purchase. Plenty of time to sell SWVXX to cover.

Jmh04j wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 am

I agree it's a non-issue.

The only thing to mind is that you don't sell the shares before they settle.

If you buy shares without money available to cover the transaction, and then sell the shares before settlement occurs. Your account will become (temporarily for a first time offense) restricted and you will need to have settle funds available before purchases during that time. It's called 'freeriding'.

bradinsky

Post by bradinsky » Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 am

Mutual funds(money market) settle in 2 days. ETF’s settle in 1 day. You need to be aware.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 am

bradinsky wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 am
Mutual funds(money market) settle in 2 days. ETF’s settle in 1 day. You need to be aware.
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? Please cite your info.

I believe ETF's are T+2.

Has it been shortened since Sept 5th 2017? https://www.etf.com/sections/features-a ... ent-2-days

Also, I thought Money market funds close and settles on the same day as the trade date. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... settle.asp

Anyway, you should be able to see your Schwab settlement date like this:
https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn ... ement.html

If you put in the sell for a Money Market Mutual Fund and buy for an ETF on the same day, I don't believe there will be an issue. Someone please show me if that isn't right.

bradinsky

Post by bradinsky » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am

I misspoke. It is definitely backwards(and early). Very sorry!

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am

Nate79 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:06 pm
I highly recommend you switching to Schwab from Vanguard. My experience with transferring from Vanguard to Schwab has been excellent.
I transferred part of my Vanguard account to Schwab like the wind, maybe two days. Previously I had tried to transfer money into Vanguard from a local credit union and it hung up for weeks, with no sign it was going to happen, in Vanguard processing because "the credit union was not in our database." I finally gave up on the latter transfer and moved it to Schwab.

No question Schwab's customer service is miles better than Vanguard's, plus it doesn't shut down on the weekends like Vanguard's.

The only reason I still have a Vanguard account is I am a little nervous about having only one brokerage.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 am

fru-gal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am
Nate79 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:06 pm
I transferred part of my Vanguard account to Schwab like the wind, maybe two days. Previously I had tried to transfer money into Vanguard from a local credit union and it hung up for weeks, with no sign it was going to happen, in Vanguard processing because "the credit union was not in our database." I finally gave up on the latter transfer and moved it to Schwab.

No question Schwab's customer service is miles better than Vanguard's, plus it doesn't shut down on the weekends like Vanguard's.

The only reason I still have a Vanguard account is I am a little nervous about having only one brokerage.
I agree about being nervous having only one brokerage....especially VG.
I have total respect for Jack Bogle and I really like VG's simplicity, but I don't yet have the trust in VG for it to be my only broker.
That's why I keep my Schwab and Fidelity accounts.

Have a great day.

Lucere

Post by Lucere » Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 am

I have Schwab (401k, High Yield Checking), Vanguard (Roth IRA), and Marcus/Goldman (High Yield Savings) accounts. I agree with other posts about not keeping everything under one roof. I will also echo Schwab's excellent customer service in my experience.

It's relatively minor, but I like Vanguard's account interface (both web and mobile app) better than Schwab's for the breakdown of your investment returns. On the other hand, I like Schwab's web (but not mobile app) interface better for researching fund performance and holdings. So, I guess it's all a wash in the end if you use both providers.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

worthless wrote:
For funds and location of accounts I usually suggest
1) Vanguard,
2) Fidelity, or
3) Schwab
in that order of preference.

I prefer using traditional mutual funds (rather than ETFs), and Vanguard has by far the largest selection of low expense traditional mutual funds offered anywhere. Both Vanguard and Fidelity have a larger selection of low expense index funds than does Schwab. We have all of our investing accounts at Vanguard, and use only Vanguard index funds.

Vanguard has by far the largest array of no transaction fee ETFS. In addition to its own ETFs Vanguard offers roughly 1800 commission free ETFs of other firms including those of Schwab, State Street (SPDR) and BlackRock (iShares). Kiplinger (07/02/2018), "Vanguard to Ditch Commissions on Most ETFs"..

I prefer the convenience of having all investing accounts at one place. Both Fidelity and Schwab offer some banking services. I prefer a bank for banking functions. For banking functions (checking account, debit card, credit cards) we use a bank with a branch near our home.

I like Vanguard's mutual structure, Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds, has no other shareholders, and so conflicts of interest with shareholders don't exist.

Both Fidelity and Schwab have local customer service offices in some cities, but Vanguard does not. None have a local office near me, so that was not a factor in my choice.

A local customer service office is important for some, but in my opinion not at all necessary. We have had no problems with the rare phone consultations that were necessary. I call Vanguard once per year at most, some years not at all, and always received prompt, accurate, professional advice and service.

Once a reasonable investing plan is set up, it requires almost no attention. Some people prefer the customer service at Fidelity or Schwab.

Schwab does not offer a total international stock index fund, both Vanguard and Fidelity do. (At Schwab you need to use multiple ETFs to get total international stock coverage.) Vanguard stock index funds are more tax-efficient, which is important if using a taxable account. Vanguard offers a larger selection of tax-exempt bond funds (including state specific funds) than either Schwab or Fidelity, which is important if using a taxable account and in a high tax bracket. Vanguard offers a small-cap value index fund, but Schwab and Fidelity do not, which is important if interested in value investing. Vanguard money market funds (including the sweep fund) pay a better return than funds at Fidelity or Schwab, which is important for investors who desire a significant cash allocation.

Fidelity and Schwab have no initial minimum investment required, which is helpful for a new investor with a small amount to invest. Most Vanguard funds require an initial minimum investment of $3k, or just $1k for target retirement funds or Vanguard STAR Fund (VGSTX).

There is a lot of personal preference involved in selecting a firm for your accounts.