International fund in trad IRA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Corgitodd

International fund in trad IRA

Post by Corgitodd »

Been advised to rebalance my traditional ira stock portion (40 percent lg cap Blend)to VG Developed Markets, an international fund. Anyone have international in a traditional ira? Would that change if you were currently taking RMDs?
TropikThunder

Re: International fund in trad IRA

Post by TropikThunder »

Corgitodd wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:37 pm Been advised to rebalance my traditional ira stock portion (40 percent lg cap Blend)to VG Developed Markets, an international fund. Anyone have international in a traditional ira? Would that change if you were currently taking RMDs?
What does “been advised” mean? Also, your question is vague. Are you asking about having international stocks at all, or just asking about holding them in a traditional IRA? By 40% Large Cap Blend, do you mean your tIRA is 40% LC Blend and 60% something else, or your tIRA is 100% LC Blend and that comprises 40% of your total portfolio? We can’t answer your question properly the way it’s presented.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

International index funds can be held in any type of account including a traditional IRA.

It's not possible to answer your second question with so little information. It would depend on the whole picture and what you are trying to accomplish.
Topic Author
Corgitodd

Post by Corgitodd »

I tried to keep it simple. I view this trad ira spearate from my other holdings because Im taking RMD’s. The advice came from a VG rep. Frankly, I do t understand why he wants me to switch US Stock funds to International, and Im not inclined to do it. Probably the simplest questions is, does anyone have international finds in an ira that they currently taking RMDs?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Corgitodd wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:56 pm does anyone have international finds in an ira that they currently taking RMDs?
Yes. I don't see any problems holding a developed market index fund in any account. Other asset classes that you own and other accounts that you have will dictate whether that is prudent or not. For instance, if you had bond funds in a Roth IRA, I would put the bond fund in the traditional IRA that had RMDs instead and put the international fund in the Roth IRA if there was room for it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Corgitodd

Post by Corgitodd »

Thats what I thought. Thanks that helps.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Corgitodd wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:37 pm Been advised to rebalance my traditional ira stock portion (40 percent lg cap Blend)to VG Developed Markets, an international fund. Anyone have international in a traditional ira? Would that change if you were currently taking RMDs?
No, I always avoid international. I stick with Vanguard S&P 500 (VFIAX) or, if needed, Vanguard Total Stock Market (VTSAX).