Schwab international fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
newseahorse

Schwab international fund

Post by newseahorse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi,
I am trying to find a good Schwab equivalent of VTIAX for international stock exposure.
The wiki talks about SWISX as counterpart https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-f ... head-style

However that is focused only on developed economies so not really VTIAX equivalent (which had both developed and emerging)
Any better Schwab fund for this purpose?

Thanks!
Last edited by newseahorse on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jmh04j

Re: Schwab international fund

Post by Jmh04j » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 pm

I go with SCHF (75§) and SCHE (25%). It is not exact but close enough to replicate VTIAX. You would have to layer is some SCHC to make it exact.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 pm

newseahorse wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm
However SWAGX is focused only on developed economies so not really VTIAX equivalent (which had both developed and emerging)
Any better Schwab fund for this purpose?
Here's all 14 Schwab international funds:

https://www.schwabfunds.com/public/csim ... ernational

I'm sure you can quickly see if any of them are better for this purpose.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Jmh04j wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 pm
I go with SCHF (75§) and SCHE (25%). It is not exact but close enough to replicate VTIAX. You would have to layer is some SCHC to make it exact.
I might even bump the SCHE up to 30% if you are rolling the SCHC allocation into emerging (probably under the notion that both small and emerging are more volatile).

You can see what would be exact market cap weighting at the following online calculator.

It's publicly editable so you can enter your AA targets and see where you should be at.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 am

If you plan to make one or couple of lump sum purchases (versus DCA), I suggest using the ETF VXUS which is available for $5 in Schwab.
It is the equivalent ETF of VTIAX.

KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 am

SO, for someone who has a 3-fund portfolio at Schwab in a 401k consisting of SWTSX (Total Stock Index), SWAGX (Aggregate Bond Index) and SWISX (International Fund Index), what ratio of SWISX/SCHE would one shoot for to approximate the holdings of VTIAX? Or is it even worth it? (ie, is SWISX alone "good enough"?)

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am

KingRiggs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 am
SO, for someone who has a 3-fund portfolio at Schwab in a 401k consisting of SWTSX (Total Stock Index), SWAGX (Aggregate Bond Index) and SWISX (International Fund Index), what ratio of SWISX/SCHE would one shoot for to approximate the holdings of VTIAX? Or is it even worth it? (ie, is SWISX alone "good enough"?)
Check the link three posts above. SWISX is basically SCHF (large and med. developed)

Roughly 70% SCHF, 20% SCHE and 10%SCHC

During the life of VTIAX, returns were:
SWISX 5.43% CAGR
VTIAX 4.61% CAGR

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... total3=100

If you are anti-etf, you could get emerging and small exposure with SFILX and SFENX.
SWISX/SFILX/SFENX 4.91% CAGR
They have a value tilt and a little higher ER
Last edited by typical.investor on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am

typical.investor wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am
KingRiggs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 am
Check the link three posts above. SWISX is basically SCHF (large and med. developed)

Roughly 70% SCHF, 20% SCHE and 10%SCHC
Thanks for those ratios.

But my question remains: is the increased complexity of rebalancing, etc really WORTH IT in terms of returns/risk? Or is SWISX "good enough", as the Wiki would indicate?

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:31 am

Others may not agree, but I think SWISX is good enough.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 am

On my 3-fund portfolio at Schwab, I use SCHB, SCHZ, and VXUS. Yes, there are $4.95 trading fees on VXUS, but they don't amount to much.

It beats trying go slice and dice the three Schwab international offerings to mirror VXUS/VTIAX.

(Note: as mentioned above, VXUS is the ETF equivalent of VTIAX.)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)