whereto put investments -IRA, Roth, brokerage account, 401K?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
gpsmith45

whereto put investments -IRA, Roth, brokerage account, 401K?

Post by gpsmith45 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:32 pm

I'm retired and my retirement portfolio is distributed in IRA, 401K, Roth IRA and brokerage account. Is there any rule of thumb as to what type of investments belong where? E.G. Should the most agressive investments be in the Roth? Do Bonds belong in one and not another? etc. Financial Engines recently advised to turn over investments in my Roth IRA (which contains about 10% of my portfolio's value) to mostly bonds and I'm not sure the advise is correct? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
George

retiredjg

Re: whereto put investments -IRA, Roth, brokerage account, 401K?

Post by retiredjg » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:17 am

gpsmith45 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:32 pm
Financial Engines recently advised to turn over investments in my Roth IRA (which contains about 10% of my portfolio's value) to mostly bonds and I'm not sure the advise is correct? Any thoughts?
It seems an odd suggestion to me unless Financial Engines was really just suggesting that you increase your bond allocation and that was the only place to put more bonds without having to sell something in taxable.

In the absence of other information, I'd have most or all of the bonds in the IRA and 401k and put mostly or all stocks in Roth and taxable. However, the ease of withdrawal and rebalancing plays a part in this and can mean doing it differently.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:11 pm

The main reason to put higher performing assets in a roth is that there are no rmds.
https://obliviousinvestor.com/stocks-in ... ional-ira/

Topic Author
gpsmith45

Post by gpsmith45 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Thanks for everyone's input