Different investment strategies

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
rafkg29

Different investment strategies

Post by rafkg29 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm

I’d like to invest more, and own different assets currently I own VTI, VXUS, and BND what types of asset classes could I invest in more that with be considered a good investment?

dbr

Re: Different investment strategies

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:18 pm

You don't need any additional investments to be well invested.

What causes you to think what you have should be or needs to be improved?

You can find plenty of discussions on this forum regarding all kinds of additional investments that consider the various possible advantages or disadvantages of those investments. In my opinion none of those discussions result in a convincing argument that what you have is not well invested.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 pm

What are your goals? Why do you want to do this? Doing more will most likely result in a lower overall aggregate return. Focus on lowering fees and taxes. That would be a good way to spend your time.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Common additions to total stock, total international and total bond are REITS and small cap value. (I don't own either.)

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:05 pm

the total stock market index funds you own contain most of the stocks in the market. That's why it's "total". People who buy small cap or small cap value think they're getting something different, but those assets are in the total stock market. All you're doing is "tilting" away from the market by overweighting certain stocks/asset classes.

It's a duplication not owning "different assets" as you are inquiring.

Other assets would be commodities, currencies, different types of real estate than what might be in total stock market index that sort of thing.

Question is, why would you want to own "different assets" than what you already do?
What do you expect to get for owning "different assets"?
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:14 pm

rafkg29 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm
I’d like to invest more, and own different assets currently I own VTI, VXUS, and BND what types of asset classes could I invest in more that with be considered a good investment?
Well, I can tell you that I only invest in the Vanguard S&P 500 (VFIAX) and I am very happy with my investments.

I am up +16.9% year-to-date.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm

rafkg29 wrote:
What is your overall investment plan and how would these different assets fit in with it? In one of your posts on a previous thread, you say you are 22 with 75% VTI, 15% BND, and 10% VXUS. What did you base this allocation on?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Topic Author
rafkg29

Post by rafkg29 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Fallible wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm
rafkg29 wrote:
What is your overall investment plan and how would these different assets fit in with it? In one of your posts on a previous thread, you say you are 22 with 75% VTI, 15% BND, and 10% VXUS. What did you base this allocation on?
I based it on more of an aggressive approach I recently tilted it though to 80% VTI, 10% BND, and 10% VXUS

Topic Author
rafkg29

Post by rafkg29 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:22 pm

yangtui wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 pm
What are your goals? Why do you want to do this? Doing more will most likely result in a lower overall aggregate return. Focus on lowering fees and taxes. That would be a good way to spend your time.
I guess my goals is to try to be even more diversified weather it be with commodities, reits, individual stocks I’m thinking maybe I can get a good return on a specific sector of the market as well.

NotTooDeepLearning

Post by NotTooDeepLearning » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:14 pm
rafkg29 wrote:
Well, I can tell you that I only invest in the Vanguard S&P 500 (VFIAX) and I am very happy with my investments.

I am up +16.9% year-to-date.
Sharing year-to-date returns when there was a big crash right before the year started is pretty misleading.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:09 pm

rafkg29 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:19 pm
Fallible wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 pm
rafkg29 wrote:
I based it on more of an aggressive approach I recently tilted it though to 80% VTI, 10% BND, and 10% VXUS
Have you read any of the Bogleheads' books or the wiki on asset allocation? I'd suggest checking out the wiki's "Getting started" page and the BH philosophy, beginning with "Develop a Workable Plan" based on your life goals. Also, do you have am emergency savings?

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_Started
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Asset_Allocation
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Larry Swedroe's and Kevin Grogan's recent book, Your COMPLETE Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement, Chapters 6 and 7, Implementing the Investment Plan and Reducing Risk would also be recommended reads prior to moving beyond a basic plan such as the one you already have.