Tax treatment of Variable Annuity

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
tc101

Tax treatment of Variable Annuity

Post by tc101 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:25 pm

I am 69, retired, in a low tax bracket. I have a variable annuity at Vanguard. It is $27K invested in a short term bond fund. This is something my father set up for me when I was a child, and that I transferred to Vanguard 25 years ago. It is a small part of my fixed income investments. Most other fixed income is in an IRA.

I don't need the money. Should I just let it sit in the annuity? I read somewhere here that variable annuities, even at vanguard, are not a good deal because of higher expenses. But I wonder about the taxes..
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Mel Lindauer

Re: Tax treatment of Variable Annuity

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:56 pm

tc101 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:25 pm
I am 69, retired, in a low tax bracket. I have a variable annuity at Vanguard. It is $27K invested in a short term bond fund. This is something my father set up for me when I was a child, and that I transferred to Vanguard 25 years ago. It is a small part of my fixed income investments. Most other fixed income is in an IRA.

I don't need the money. Should I just let it sit in the annuity? I read somewhere here that variable annuities, even at vanguard, are not a good deal because of higher expenses. But I wonder about the taxes..
All gains withdrawn from your VA would be taxed at your ordinary tax bracket rate, not as cap gains. Partial withdrawals are fully taxed until all gains have been removed and taxed. After that, withdrawing the original investment is tax-free.

On the other hand, if you annuitize, the gains and return of principle are pro-rated for each payment, so only part of each payment is taxable.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 pm

How much of the $27K is gains, vs. how much was contributed?

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:56 pm
tc101 wrote:

All gains withdrawn from your VA would be taxed at your ordinary tax bracket rate, not as cap gains. Partial withdrawals are fully taxed until all gains have been removed and taxed. After that, withdrawing the original investment is tax-free.

On the other hand, if you annuitize, the gains and return of principle are pro-rated for each payment, so only part of each payment is taxable.
If the contract was purchased before 8/14/82 principal comes out first on withdrawals. It sounds as if this might apply here.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 pm

How much of the $27K is gains, vs. how much was contributed?
Almost all of it would be gains, since it is about 60 years old.
Last edited by tc101 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 pm

If the contract was purchased before 8/14/82 principal comes out first on withdrawals. It sounds as if this might apply here.
The original contract was probably purchased in the 60's, but I have no record of that. It was transferred to Vanguard sometime after 1982, probably about 1995. Vanguard should have a record of that.

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 pm

From what you have told me so far it sounds like I should look at my tax situation each year and withdraw just enough to avoid going into the next higher tax bracket.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Gill wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:33 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:56 pm
tc101 wrote:

Gill
Good point, Gill.

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Another thing to do is to look at the original contract and find out what the "guaranteed" rate is for annuitization. If the contract was moved to Vanguard about 1995, the guaranteed rate is probably 4% or higher.

Since the guaranteed rate is likely to be higher than the current yield on your short term investment grade bond fund, it may make sense to annuitize. There are a lot of options for annuitizing.

My guaranteed rate was 4% (find this info near the annuitization tables). About 6 years ago I annuitized my contract for a 10 year period and my wife's for 23 years. The guaranteed rate was significantly higher than the ST investment grade fund at the time, so it made sense to annuitize rather than do "partial surrenders". Choosing to annuitize was similar to buying long term CDs with annual return of capital. Any remaining money will be available to heirs with the ability to choose their own annuity schedule.

If you do not have a copy of the contract, you can request a copy.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 am

If you annuitize a variable annuity, what happens when you die?
Last edited by kaneohe on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:17 am

tc101 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 pm
From what you have told me so far it sounds like I should look at my tax situation each year and withdraw just enough to avoid going into the next higher tax bracket.
This makes sense to me.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Corgitodd

Post by Corgitodd » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:18 am

I have a Vanguard Variable Annuity i bought in the mid 1990s. Currently invested in its versions of S&P 500 Index and Total Bond Index. I was advised by a Vanguard CFP to change those investments to International Funds. Not sure why, other than VG likes International funds.

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 am

If you annuities a variable annuity, what happens when you die?
I don't know. I'll let my heirs figure that out.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:42 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 am
Unless you chose a term certain option or a joint survivor option, the money goes to the insurance company.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:42 pm
kaneohe wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 am
Unless you chose a term certain option or a joint survivor option, the money goes to the insurance company.
Mel, thanks for the confirmation.