Those that have an "Anti-Boglehead" investment account, what are your "risky" plays?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Those that have an "Anti-Boglehead" investment account, what are your "risky" plays?

Post by Bob Sacamano » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:07 am

not entirely sure this type of thread is allowed but figured if it is, it could gain traction.

obviously most (all?) of us are relatively risk averse, most especially as it relates to retirement.

that said, assuming you have a "fun money" account - an account where, if you lost everything you wouldn't be devastated - what are some names you are invested in or looking at?

what sectors interest you?

for me, it's tech and biotech. two of the riskier/riskiest plays. but, again, it's a small enough amount of money that i can look at it almost like gambling with a bit more upside.

Wiggums

Re: Those that have an "Anti-Boglehead" investment account, what are your "risky" plays?

Post by Wiggums » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 am

If I’m gonna gamble, I’d rather play poker. Now shuffle up and deal...

motorcyclesarecool

Re: Those that have an "Anti-Boglehead" investment account, what are your "risky" plays?

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:25 am

Occasionally, long-dated put options on an individual stock whose valuation seems significantly out of whack. I’ve made double digit returns on those bets in my HSA and my kids’ Coverdell ESAs, but it’s been nerve-wracking. It’s been less than 1% of my net worth, and it seems like the market for these doomed companies can remain irrational longer than I can remain solvent. It’s also frustrating when I come out with a profit because I am tempted to think that I should have made a bigger bet. (So far I’ve maintained discipline.) All in all a day at Saratoga or Churchill Down would be more enjoyable.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

bgf

Post by bgf » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:33 am

berkshire hathaway, markel, ebix.

berkshire is trucking along very well.

markel has made a strong strategic move to be a leader in the ILS market. time will tell. stock performance recently hit a rough patch.

ebix has levered up a bit and is making very strong moves into India and potentially initiating an IPO of EbixCash... time will tell. stock performance recently hit a very rough patch.

i invest in these companies because of their management styles, longterm shareholder friendly perspective, capital allocation, and cashflows.

if i just wanted to trade short term stories id have invested in ROKU back when i bought the product. would have worked out far better during that time period than my actual holdings, while the underlying company is nowhere near as profitable.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:34 am

I like to have fun, but have never quite understood the concept of "fun money" investing. I'm putting it where I think it has the best chance of earning a return. We worry about tenths of a percent when it comes to mutual fund costs. The last thing I want to do is have an unintentional extra expense on my investment account. Figure out what the difference is between 7% or 8% on 100,000 compounded over 30 years and see if your fun is worth it.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:48 am

In a brokerage account used for transactions involving individual equities I identify purchase candidates using data from the Investor's Business Daily (CAN SLIM).

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:15 am

OP.why not offer your take or ownership or trading of your risky investments. Or are you fishing for such. Also please state how many shares when stating investments. Someone here has MSFT listed but doesn't tell how many shares. Are we al talking a few shares such that any profits would be so few as to not even be anything significant? Ten shares of MSFT, well, why buy it?

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:20 am

I am in biotech and banks as sectors and a couple gambles in individual stocks. Have big bets going on Costco and GE (Costco is very impressive to me as a company, so I keep doubling down) small bets going on a couple other companies like caterpillar and allergen. Strongly tempted to get into nvidia, and want to short Tesla just on principle alone but haven’t done it yet. Should have bought Xilinx a long time ago but sat on the sidelines and missed the boat, maybe instead of nvidia I should just get into semiconductors as a sector instead......hmmmmmmmmmm :moneybag :dollar :oops:

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:23 am

Biotech. Out of favor severely depressed value equities.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:25 am

I have such an account. I use a mock portfolio in a free tracking service to identify current and recent performance of a wide variety of sector and geographic funds. From there the data on the top 25 is downloaded to my PC. I then run a program that looks at current momentum of the top 25 to identify progressive forward momentum and identify the top targets. Catch a fast train and get off when it starts to slow and is overtaken by others. Extremely low 6 figures at risk and the performance has been enough in excess of it's benchmark.. the S&P500, to continue to play the game. The "what" is only important today as it could, and probably will be different next week.

Flbogle99

Post by Flbogle99 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:30 am

CPOAX and PRNHX

smj

Post by smj » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:31 am

Red Hat (RHT)- arbitrage play- IBM purchasing the company.

Celgene (CELG)- arbitrage + long on company after merger with BMY considering the strength of their combined oncology portfolio and assets in the pipeline. This is a long term investment

Valero (VLO)- took advantage of depressed values in Q4 last year, solid company with good track record of good ROIC. This is a long term investment.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 am

Play it wih Monopoly money. There are various brokerages that let you paper trade. See how it works out. No different than playing fantasy baseball, football, or basketball. No downside. See if you can beat the index for a whole year. Now there is your game to play.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 am

as someone above requested my (very) risky plays right now are:

$ROKU

$PTLA

$ARRY

enough in them where if they appreciate as i hope i will be happy but if they do not i won't be in trouble.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:13 am

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 am
as someone above requested my (very) risky plays right now are:

$ROKU

$PTLA

$ARRY

enough in them where if they appreciate as i hope i will be happy but if they do not i won't be in trouble.
That’s funny PTLA is my one and only risky play. Currently valued at 1/25 of all my assets. Let’s hope they actually sell some antitodes to make the gamble worth it.

scottieCosmic

Post by scottieCosmic » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 am

I hold MSFT, AMZN, T And V

hornet1

Post by hornet1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:45 am

I keep 5% in cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ripple, and Ethereum
antoher one is just Emerging market funds which I keep just 5% (and hope to increase to 10% soon) of my portfolio in SPEM (SPDR Emerging Market fund which is mainly India, China, and Taiwan large caps like ali baba and Taiwan semi conductors)

I've been just rebalancing this every 6 months and recently bought a lot more Bitcoin. This has doubled in value so I sold a lot more.
(I also keep 5% in gold GLDM which is a hedge against inflation and financial recessions)

I think in the long run the Chinese emerging market funds will outperform a lot of the S&P500 as we are in changing times and history doesn't always repeat itself. The emerging markets like India and China are worth it to get into if you have a 20-30Year horizon at least as a hedge if those markets out perform growthwise the USA markets

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:50 am

Wiggums wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 am
Came here to essentially say this. I make it a point not to confuse my "funny money" and my savings/investments, blurring the lines between my gambling and my investments is problematic.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

mbasherp

Post by mbasherp » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:11 am

I’ve considered confessing this on BH for a while. After reading Peter Lynch’s “One Up On Wall Street,” I decided to put up to 5% of my total portfolio to work using his principles. I used my Roth IRA to not have tax considerations.

So far, 3/4 stocks have beaten the market. I created a spreadsheet to track each one vs it’s comparable index (US market funds to US stocks, emerging market funds to emerging market stocks). My 5% is currently 10% ahead of where my market benchmarks would’ve had me in the past several months.

I know many here will call it luck. Maybe it is, but I’m not about to get cocky and use any more than that 5% of my portfolio. The hardest part is finding things that are worth buying. That alone means that I may go right back into the index as each stock approaches a “sell.” A downdraft like the end of 2018 was a great time to find values.

I’ll say that my biggest winner is currently PLNT and the laggard has been HCA. AMZN is a momentum play from its exaggerated 2018 lows until near the high, and PAGS is an extra volatile emerging market fintech company.

EdNorton

Post by EdNorton » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:20 am

SRPT, ATSG, GOOG and AMZN are biggest holdings. Slowly converting to BH portfolio.
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:25 am

I invested 1000$ in a single stock :)
lafder

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am

For those who have a gambling account, remember if you start with 10% of investable assets and you lose it, you can't begin again with another 10%. :happy

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:56 am

Some KO WMT

Made a good play with AAPL in 2013
Frugality, indexing, time.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:02 am

Getting engaged.

Noble Knight

Post by Noble Knight » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:27 am

I’m slowly converting my remaining stock portfolio over to index funds.

AAPL
AMZN
AVGO
BABA
FB
GOOGL
TMO
ULTA
V
VLO
ZTS

thoughtware

Post by thoughtware » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:13 pm

I am selling off GOOGL because I have started using the Brave browser almost exclusively and duckduckgo as my default search engine. Why? Because the ads and data tracking are too invasive. Also, if I'm looking to buy something, the first search engine I use is Amazon.

I am VERY long Amazon - 20 year horizon. AWS will continue to grow as more businesses seek to lower costs while leveraging AI to improve operating efficiencies. Additionally, I like its shopping infrastructure and personally spend more with it every year. I believe new revenue models will continue to emerge from its vast neuro-network of interactive one-to-one connections with consumers. This is a company evolving with the internet and cannot be measured using the same predictive models developed to assess companies from the analog era.

Post by 80125 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Years ago, when I knew nothing about constructing a portfolio (not sure I know much more today either) and was able to run a 90/10 AA without little concern for risk, I did enough research to acquire PRIMECAP for my 'then small' rIRA. Not too many years later I picked-up Cap Opportunity in the same account, converted all to Admiral along the way as they became eligible and rounded those out with Explorer. I rode that pig for all it was worth, through good years and bad, in that account. As time rolled-on 401Ks, Roth and Taxable accounts allowed me to build an index foundation to couple with my 'fun' rIRA allocation.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I've learned a bit, put those learning's into practice over the years and I've naturally become more risk averse. Looking to (mostly) retire at 55 mid 2020 so 'fun' accounts/investments are off-the-table for me. Started making the gradual shift to an index-based 50/50 portfolio across all accounts as I entered my 50's and today, while I'm not a full-on BH, I'm pretty close. Explorer was melded into VTSAX long ago, I finally shed Cap Opp as we entered 2018, which I found psychologically difficult to do but...followed my plan and the one 'risk' I still have is PRIMECAP, that's it. Holding the investment in a tax deferred account is of benefit, I'm still confident in the fund even after all these years of change and while it may fall apart tomorrow (active mgt, aggressive posture, tick high on ER etc.), its my only one-off and I plan to stay the course. I occasionally scrape gains and allocate to VTSAX, VTIAX & VBTLX but as of today it comprises ~8% of my retirement portfolio.

No options, no standalone stocks, no real estate (have primary residence), no startups, no annuities, no 'shark' loans to others, sell all RSUs upon vest...no nuttin'...just PRIMECAP and I invest in what I [think] I know = no 'fun!' ;)
--cbu

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:28 pm

To me the losses/gains from what i'd be willing to risk in a fun account just isn't worth my time to research. It is interesting and could be a bit exciting with enough money on the line, but then that wouldn't be responsible (speaking for myself).

I do have a buddy who just made $40k on TSLA in the past couple weeks. But to do that he invested almost $700k. I certainly don't have that kind of gumption. Bet it was a thrill, though.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:29 pm

My employer stock (start-up options, lottery ticket) and Hedgefundie’s risk parity adventure are my non-bogle inclusions at the moment.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:56 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:50 am
Wiggums wrote:
Came here to essentially say this. I make it a point not to confuse my "funny money" and my savings/investments, blurring the lines between my gambling and my investments is problematic.
+1

To paraphrase Wiggums: If I'm gonna gamble, I'm gonna gamble where I know that I have an edge (ie, positive expectation).

Gambling without an edge makes little sense to me--although I do participate in Super Bowl squares pools to make the game more interesting.
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Biotech

AMRN
LPCN
PTLA
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:12 pm

About 1% of our portfolio is in Fundrise, building to a future target of 5%.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:17 pm

I own about 30 individual stocks. I follow about 40-50 companies.

About $1.5 million worth now.

Almost all are electronics based companies (my industry). Some are familiar names (Apple, Intel, Cisco), others are obscure and I won't mention their names.

I've averaged about 16% annual return over the past 25 years.

I haven't bought any new individual stocks in the last 4-5 years, as I was nearing early retirement. I doubt I'll buy any again, but I won't say never. Sometimes a company I follow will drop 5-10% in one day because of some bad news and algo trading, and I might scoop some up for longer term hold.

That being said, my 401k has always been 100% "Bogle compliant", 4-5 funds.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:36 pm

80125 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:23 pm
Years ago, when I knew nothing about constructing a portfolio (not sure I know much more today either) and was able to run a 90/10 AA without little concern for risk, I did enough research to acquire PRIMECAP for my 'then small' rIRA. Not too many years later I picked-up Cap Opportunity in the same account, converted all to Admiral along the way as they became eligible and rounded those out with Explorer. I rode that pig for all it was worth, through good years and bad, in that account. As time rolled-on 401Ks, Roth and Taxable accounts allowed me to build an index foundation to couple with my 'fun' rIRA allocation.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I've learned a bit, put those learning's into practice over the years and I've naturally become more risk averse. Looking to (mostly) retire at 55 mid 2020 so 'fun' accounts/investments are off-the-table for me. Started making the gradual shift to an index-based 50/50 portfolio across all accounts as I entered my 50's and today, while I'm not a full-on BH, I'm pretty close. Explorer was melded into VTSAX long ago, I finally shed Cap Opp as we entered 2018, which I found psychologically difficult to do but...followed my plan and the one 'risk' I still have is PRIMECAP, that's it. Holding the investment in a tax deferred account is of benefit, I'm still confident in the fund even after all these years of change and while it may fall apart tomorrow (active mgt, aggressive posture, tick high on ER etc.), its my only one-off and I plan to stay the course. I occasionally scrape gains and allocate to VTSAX, VTIAX & VBTLX but as of today it comprises ~8% of my retirement portfolio.

No options, no standalone stocks, no real estate (have primary residence), no startups, no annuities, no 'shark' loans to others, sell all RSUs upon vest...no nuttin'...just PRIMECAP and I invest in what I [think] I know = no 'fun!' ;)
Bob I second 80125 except I did the opposite, as you are aware in my NYSDCP I had TRowe Price Equity Income Fund from 1993-2013 until Brian Rogers retired. I am not 100% BH, as I've invested since 1987-present without actively testing indexing, yes I was aware of John Bogle since the 1990s, but then SP500 was moving at a stodgier pace.

If I have to do it all over again I would follow the Lazy Portfolio.

Having said that, I agree you should invest no more than 10% of your 100% in high risk stocks in either a Roth IRA account or a Taxable account in which you can write off your losses. In a Traditional 457, 401, 403b those options for riskier investments are just not available except in NYSDCP which currently carries VPMAX, you may consider that option, but it is after all your wife plan?

In the 1997 I invested in a momentum play aka growth fund, the way I did it (before the internet) was read every quarterly reports from NYTIMES Mutual fund, they will be releasing their issue soon check the newsstands.

I'd picked five mutual funds, the two I invested was PBHG Telecommunication fund, $10,000 and three years later, I sold it for $70,000 in early March 2000. A few days later the market crashed. The other fund was TRowe Price Science and Technology fund, that went from 6k to 25K and back to 6K until I decided to sell it in 2008.

The point is if you are tethered to your job you can't track the movements, it is a job in itself. Currently the latest craze is Smart Beta : https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/smart-beta.asp

I have NYSDCP, and PrimeCap VPMAX is a choice in the fund and Vanguard Capital Opportunity VHCAX, I would say it would be a good consideration to have these closed funds, which would satisfy your urges.
Last edited by retire2022 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgf

Post by bgf » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:59 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:50 am
Wiggums wrote:
i don't consider any of my investments as play/funny money. you might as well just give it away with that attitude.

i recognize that my individual investments might underperform during periods and outperform during others. i wouldn't invest in them, however, if i didn't believe they were good companies with bright futures.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

Stereofun

Post by Stereofun » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:08 pm

My airline 401K is my playground - its only 60K so I have a little fun here.

30% are in a Biotech index fund, rated 7 out of 7 for risk...but truth be told it has done very well over the last 10 Years...I figured with the demographic tidal wave, there should be plenty of age-adverse Baby boomers pouring money into that sector directly or indirectly. Then the rest are in 100% stocks, world index. Its all manged by a pension fund in Denmark so you folks probably wouldn't know the names.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:17 pm

I might "tilt" between factors/total market, domestic/international, or among currencies if there is a ten year lag or what might appear to be a once in a decade opportunity.

ausmatt

Post by ausmatt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:28 pm

With my personal investment account, I’ll take the following positions depending on certain equity prices and volatility:

- Deep in the money TSLA call spreads when there is a significant vol event with the underlying. Tends to return 15-20% over 1-2 months (occasionally do longer dates options)
- Same bull call options above but different names
- Straddles same as above but different names
- Very occasional short futures on WTI (/CL)
- BP, AAPL, MSFT, DB, and a few others
- Starting to look at and understand valuations for box spreads

I use proceeds from gains in the account to buy fun items. If I dip down as I had late last fall, I wait until I build back up above starting acct value before using the “fun” money. (I also have a lot of capital gain carryover so it offsets taxes on these gains).

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:41 pm

AAPL + 3600% since 2005
AMZN + 220%
FFTY -2.41%
GOOGL + 66%
XBI + 5%

QQQ instead of SPY

Some have done better than others, but not too shabby...

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm short TSLA.

And I also have a fairly large cash bankroll for actual "gambling" (I'm a part-time advantage player).

Otherwise my entire portfolio is short-term treasuries and TIPS.
Funding secured

jdb

Post by jdb » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:07 pm

I’m a bit of a Peter Lynch disciple. Limit my individual stock speculation to not more than 20% of equity, rest in Vanguard funds. I only invest in companies whose products or services I regularly use and enjoy. And my primarily tech stock selections past 6 years have easily exceeded index portfolio. Amazon is my biggest, followed by Apple and Google and Tesla (in at 60, doubled at 150, great ride both stock and vehicles) and my current favorite, Costco. But ultimately it is speculation, reason that 80 percent in Vanguard equity funds. Good luck.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:50 pm

Wiggums wrote:
That’s funny. I have a poker fund. It is invested in Vanguard money market.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:11 pm

I don't call it funny money. I simply have a portion of my money that I'm willing to take more risk with. I generally follow the Bogleheads principles overall with a value/small tilt.

The higher risk money is in pre-IPO stocks, such as Lyft (which just IPO'ed), Uber, 23andMe, Postmates, etc. I buy shares on the secondary market. I'm required to hold at least 6 months post IPO (in some cases 1 yr). Will be interesting to see if this risky money culminates in decent returns or losses.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282

honduranhurricane

Post by honduranhurricane » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:43 pm

APPL, GOOG, T, DWDP and WM are my largest. Within past 4 months or so, picked up small amounts of DIS, LMT and RTN.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:07 pm

I co-founded a tech startup four years ago, putting just over $100k of my own money into it (plus it burned through nearly $1 million of angel/VC money).

It’s currently more than half my paper net worth.

That’s my risky play. It’s the reason I don’t take my other risk in other equities.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:46 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:07 am
for me, it's tech and biotech. two of the riskier/riskiest plays. but, again, it's a small enough amount of money that i can look at it almost like gambling with a bit more upside.
I'm not sure why you think tech is anti-Boglehead or risky.

The average Boglehead will have the S&P 500/Total Stock Market as their biggest equity investment. What are the Top 6 holdings of the Total Stock Market fund?
  • Microsoft
  • Apple
  • Amazon
  • Alphabet
  • Berkshire Hathaway
  • Facebook
Those 6 stocks probably make up 5-10% of the total portfolio for many Bogleheads....simply by virtue of cap-weighting.

Every Boglehead is heavily invested in tech. If you looked at it on a sector-basis, every Boglehead is heavily over-weighted on tech.

Tech is only a "riskier play" if you think cap-weighting & free markets are wrong. And if you think that....it would be weird if you then double down on the things that the market thinks are the best investments.

larryslocum1982

Post by larryslocum1982 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:12 am

What in the world?Bogleheads investing in high risk stocks. I would not touch some of the stocks mentioned here with a long pole.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:27 am

pkcrafter wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am
For those who have a gambling account, remember if you start with 10% of investable assets and you lose it, you can't begin again with another 10%. :happy

Paul
That's true. You'd need to take more like 11% the next time to have the same amount of money to gamble. :twisted:

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:02 am

I don't actually do anything in a fun money account. That's because I consider buckets about as desirable as a festering pimple on date night. My last "trade" was to overweight EM value equities after Chinese equities got cut in half and everyone was jumping around yelling "fire!" It worked out, but it was just part of my asset allocation.

I am a value investor at heart and I'm never fully comfortable owning the money flushing highly valued growth stock du jour, which describes a lot of biotech companies and IPOs. The lottery doesn't have great odds.