Excellent information in Money Magazine

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Gordon

Excellent information in Money Magazine

Post by Gordon »

The December issue of Money is the best summary and advice on our current market I have ever seen. As you may know two indexing authors now contribute to the magazine. In the December issue many of the articles contain web sites where current information can be found on data discussed in the articles or computations to select asset allocations etc.

Money magazine is bullish and sees the end of the current debt crises as well as resumption of increasing stock prices. By way of example history shows that when the bear market turns bullish one third of your paper losses are recovered in 40 days or 80% within the next year.

STAY THE COURSE

For those of us who are suffering from the recent sell off, here you will find some excellent pep talks for indexers.
haban01

Thanks Gordon

Post by haban01 »

For the report! This leaves us with something to look forward to :)

Happy Holidays-
Eric | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless"
Ariel

Re: Excellent information in Money Magazine

Post by Ariel »

Gordon wrote:Money magazine is bullish and sees the end of the current debt crises as well as resumption of increasing stock prices. By way of example history shows that when the bear market turns bullish one third of your paper losses are recovered in 40 days or 80% within the next year.
Everyone is expecting a big bounce :D
That worries me :?
I'd prefer it if Money magazine had advised everyone one to sell, sell, sell :evil:
Then I'd be more eager to buy :P
Do what you will, the capital is at hazard ... - Justice Samuel Putnam (1830), as quoted by John Bogle (1994)
chaz

Post by chaz »

I hope the authors are right.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

Gordon wrote: By way of example history shows that when the bear market turns bullish one third of your paper losses are recovered in 40 days or 80% within the next year.
Exactly the reason why I refuse to follow some suggestions here to be out of the market for 31 days (ie: be in cash or MMF) following a TLH. I would rather be in a suitable substitute fund and capture "much" of this than be out and miss a potential 1/3 of my paper losses in the 40 days after.
cato

Post by cato »

Ariel wrote:
Gordon wrote:Money magazine is bullish and sees the end of the current debt crises as well as resumption of increasing stock prices. By way of example history shows that when the bear market turns bullish one third of your paper losses are recovered in 40 days or 80% within the next year.
Everyone is expecting a big bounce :D
That worries me :?
I'd prefer it if Money magazine had advised everyone one to sell, sell, sell :evil:
Then I'd be more eager to buy :P
Historically, Money magazine has been an excellent contrarian indicator.

Here's how I use magazines to gauge investment trends. When a magazine describes a trend, I figure the following:

The Economist - it's probably too early
Forbes - the trend is approaching a peak
Fortune - the trend has peaked
Smart Money - the trend has definitely peaked
Money - it's too late
Time - it's waaaaaay too late
Newsweek - The shoe-shine boy has bought in. The trend has ended and there will be a crash tomorrow.

This has certainly borne out for Tech Stocks and Housing so far.
Citigroup delenda est.