Experience with Edward Jones?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
neveragain

Experience with Edward Jones?

Post by neveragain »

I'd like to speak to someone with experience investing with Edward Jones. I have had accounts with them in the past and am having difficult now with them hassling me for more business. I just don't know what to say anymore.

I'd prefer to talk via PM if possible. Thanks!
mhalley

Re: Experience with Edward Jones?

Post by mhalley »

There are multiple posts here of people fleeing e Jones due to high fees and poor performance. Add that to bring handled then run, don't walk to vanguard, fidelity it schwab. If you really want an adbudor, check out vanguard pas and pay about a fifth it lower fees.
As to what to say:
I have no interest in giving you further business. Never contact me again about this.
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 pm I just don't know what to say anymore.
Your userid is all you need to say to them. :D
Trade the news and you will lose.
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

mhalley wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm There are multiple posts here of people fleeing e Jones due to high fees and poor performance. Add that to bring handled then run, don't walk to vanguard, fidelity it schwab. If you really want an adbudor, check out vanguard pas and pay about a fifth it lower fees.
As to what to say:
I have no interest in giving you further business. Never contact me again about this.
I actually told them that but I suppose I was too nice about it.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 pm I'd like to speak to someone with experience investing with Edward Jones. I have had accounts with them in the past and am having difficult now with them hassling me for more business. I just don't know what to say anymore.
You should say "goodbye". But wait until you have moved all your holdings to another brokerage before you communicate directly with them. Seriously. Work with your recipient brokerage, tell them you want to move your holdings to them, and let them handle the transfer. Do not try to work it from the EJ end.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

There are numerous other posts about EJ in this forum. Go to the "Google..." box in the upper right side of this page and do a search. That will keep you busy for a while :idea:
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm
neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 pm I'd like to speak to someone with experience investing with Edward Jones. I have had accounts with them in the past and am having difficult now with them hassling me for more business. I just don't know what to say anymore.
You should say "goodbye". But wait until you have moved all your holdings to another brokerage before you communicate directly with them. Seriously. Work with your recipient brokerage, tell them you want to move your holdings to them, and let them handle the transfer. Do not try to work it from the EJ end.
I’d at least send a stern email saying not to make any further trades, no?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

You probably were too nice.

EJ hires people with very thick skins. Then they train them to sell their products and they can be very aggressive (directly or indirectly) about it.

If "I'm not interested....please do not contact me again" does not work you may have to be rude. In fact, you probably should assume you will have to be rude although I would certainly try "firm but nice" at least once.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

MotoTrojan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:02 pm
I’d at least send a stern email saying not to make any further trades, no?
Good catch. Absolutely. Written instruction to EJ to cease all trades immediately is definitely warranted.
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

Ok.

I have one remaining fund with EJ. A small one. The adviser called me and said he didn't need this small fund anymore and for me to take it somewhere else. He said it wasn't "helping him." And that I am small potatoes and he's got bigger investors to work with. And that unless I wanted to move all my money back with him, he didn't want my one remaining fund with EJ anymore and ordered me to move it out of EJ. Which I plan to do when I get the time. But only on my time, not his.

Then he sorta hung up on me, click.
Last edited by neveragain on Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:56 pm
mhalley wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm There are multiple posts here of people fleeing e Jones due to high fees and poor performance. Add that to bring handled then run, don't walk to vanguard, fidelity it schwab. If you really want an adbudor, check out vanguard pas and pay about a fifth it lower fees.
As to what to say:
I actually told them that but I suppose I was too nice about it.
Undoubtedly you are being too nice.

The advice I have heard for dealing with these leeches is to say no and hang-up. Do not engage and do not provide any explanation.

If you are closing accounts, have the new brokerage (to whom you are transferring the funds) pull the money out of Jones rather than contacting your salesperson (misleadingly known as a Financial Advisor) to close the account. The latter gives them one more opportunity to get you to change your mind.

You might find this Link about Edward Jones practices illuminating.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm Ok.

I have one remaining fund with EJ. A small one. The adviser called me and said he didn't need this small fund anymore and for me to take it somewhere else. He said it wasn't "helping him." And that I am small potatoes and he's got bigger investors to work with. And that unless I wanted to move all my money back with him, he didn't want my one remaining fund with EJ anymore and ordered me to move it out of EJ. Which I plan to do when I get the time. But only on my time, not his.

Move your fund to a low cost broker and send the EJ advisor a “thank you” card for saving you money (lower fees).
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

My mother in law had her money at Edward Jones. When she passed it was in her instructions that each of her 4 children were to contact her EJ rep to discuss the IRA she had in each adult Childs name. My husband told the rep that he had permission to talk to me about this account. My husband and I decided to get the $$ out of there and transfer to VG. I called the rep. I told him we planned to transfer the $$ to VG (inherited roll over IRA) but first I had a question. Why had he taken each inherited IRA and continued trading within them AFTER my mother in law had passed? He stammered and I answered the question for him. "It's called churning and you get a nice commission every time you create a transaction in the account". (he did this on all 4 accounts). I told him what he did was illegal. He hung up on me. My husband handled it from here and the rep from EJ couldn't have made the transfer more difficult. It was a pain. Finally it all worked out but somehow he had traded the money into accounts in which a nice fat fee was attached to, in order for us to transfer to VG. Unbelievable. We are so glad we got out of there. The other three siblings still have their money there and didn't care to hear how "Buzz" was ripping them all off. Oh well. I feel your pain!!
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

gailcox wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:23 pm My mother in law had her money at Edward Jones. When she passed it was in her instructions that each of her 4 children were to contact her EJ rep to discuss the IRA she had in each adult Childs name. My husband told the rep that he had permission to talk to me about this account. My husband and I decided to get the $$ out of there and transfer to VG. I called the rep. I told him we planned to transfer the $$ to VG (inherited roll over IRA) but first I had a question. Why had he taken each inherited IRA and continued trading within them AFTER my mother in law had passed? He stammered and I answered the question for him. "It's called churning and you get a nice commission every time you create a transaction in the account". (he did this on all 4 accounts). I told him what he did was illegal. He hung up on me. My husband handled it from here and the rep from EJ couldn't have made the transfer more difficult. It was a pain. Finally it all worked out but somehow he had traded the money into accounts in which a nice fat fee was attached to, in order for us to transfer to VG. Unbelievable. We are so glad we got out of there. The other three siblings still have their money there and didn't care to hear how "Buzz" was ripping them all off. Oh well. I feel your pain!!
I have no doubt that they churned my IRA when it was in their hands. They act greedy and it's noticeable.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

You don't talk to EJ. You decide where your account is going and they handle the transfer. You block EJ on your phone and you're done with them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

My wife had to write a letter that was very much to the point. I will contact you, do not contact me.

She had been forced to EJ because when she started the 403bm her employer used a local EJ firm to handle
it. My wife said that the rep (a woman) was very nice, but really persistent, wanting to know information about
all our finances "So she could optimize my wife's portfolio." We declined the offer, and had to be insistent.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

This is not the same problem that you presented in your original post. For that reason, many of your answers are going to be meaningless.

If the "ordered me to move it out of EJ" is accurate you should file a complaint. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'd start with the EJ corporate offices, the SEC, and FINRA. Some research in those places should tell you how to make your complaint.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Hahahahaha... :D :) :P :shock: 8-) :sharebeer

That is awesome. Looks like reality is hitting EJ reps.

Anyway, as above, tell him in writing to cease trading and have your new brokerage (VG, Fido, Schwab, etc.) do all the work.
Last edited by bayview on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
fposte

Post by fposte »

neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm And that unless I wanted to move all my money back with him, he didn't want my one remaining fund with EJ anymore and ordered me to move it out of EJ. Which I plan to do when I get the time. But only on my time, not his.
Worth making the time to not have to give them money any more.
darkhorse346

Post by darkhorse346 »

I'd prefer to talk via PM if possible. Thanks!
PM me if you want. I suggest you transfer your account(s) and be done with it.

Had to deal with EJ about 12-15 years ago on some accounts. Best thing we did was to transfer and consolidate accounts where low cost index funds are available.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Ask them to remove yourself from their call list, and document it. If they call again, send a complaint letter to the FCC - they are required to stop as soon as you ask to be removed.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

Our local county does the "Best of 2019" survey every year through the local paper. I was filling out my choices today (restaurants, services, etc) and was shocked to see the local EJ guy as one of the picks for Best Investment Manager. I immediately started a campaign with family and friends to select the local Fidelity office instead! Honestly, I would be happy if they voted for a box of rocks on the side of the road vs EJ.

It will be a head shaking moment If that EJ guy wins. :D
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 pmI just don't know what to say anymore.
How do you deal with robocalls? I'd put EJ in the same category.
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

GatorFL wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 pm Our local county does the "Best of 2019" survey every year through the local paper. I was filling out my choices today (restaurants, services, etc) and was shocked to see the local EJ guy as one of the picks for Best Investment Manager. I immediately started a campaign with family and friends to select the local Fidelity office instead! Honestly, I would be happy if they voted for a box of rocks on the side of the road vs EJ.

Once they get your business, it's never enough for them. Even if I transferred all my investments to them (which I did, at one time) it is not enough; they wanted my spouse's investments, too. And wanted names and contact info of my other family members to pitch them. It's just like the way that MLMs operate. They were pestering me at least once a month for names of people in my family or to sell me life insurance. In fact, if I could just invest with them and be left alone, I'd probably still have all my investments with them. They drove me away.
Tigerfan

Post by Tigerfan »

I have had a very different experience with EDJ, maybe I just have an ethical advisor. I used to work with his wife so I knew his character before I moved assets to him. Anyway, I had sufficient assets to eliminate any sales charges and he has not done any churning. These assets are also in a grandfathered account and not under AUM. Portfolio is mostly American Funds that have done very well even with a slightly higher ER they have done better than my assets as Vanguard in index funds.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

You seem to be conflicted in very much the same way as many other EJ clients. I'm sure this is the result of training that EJ reps are given on how to retain clients. It is apparently very effective. I hope you can see through it.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Tigerfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 pm I have had a very different experience with EDJ, maybe I just have an ethical advisor. I used to work with his wife so I knew his character before I moved assets to him. Anyway, I had sufficient assets to eliminate any sales charges and he has not done any churning. These assets are also in a grandfathered account and not under AUM. Portfolio is mostly American Funds that have done very well even with a slightly higher ER they have done better than my assets as Vanguard in index funds.
Do you know what class funds you are in?
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

My brother has been an EJ rep for nearly 20 years and he’s never once asked me for my business, or even implied anything when he and I talk about investing. He knows I have more to invest than he does, but still leaves me alone to do it my way- 100% Vanguard index funds.

A couple of years ago I told him I swore off buying any individual stocks and how it’s made my investment life so much less time consuming, and recently he told me he did the same thing. Lol. Maybe I’m advising him w/o even knowing it.

Anyway.. I don’t think it’s fair to paint employees of any company with too broad of a brush.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70%/30% AA. No mortgage. Simple.
Hiwatter

Post by Hiwatter »

I used them for years before I knew better... The best thing I ever did was close my account with EJ, transfer everything to Fidelity, and setting up a 3-Fund Boglehead-type portfolio.

EJ will nickel and dime you to death. Its how they make money. They talk you into buying or selling just to get a commission, automatically take a cut of your dividends, pressure you to use their "managed" services at a 1 or 2% total account fee, etc, etc... when you close your account they will even charge you a $100 fee as a final kick in the groin. Fidelity actually reimbursed me for EJ's stupid fee believe it or not!

So there's my experience. You're on the Boglehead forum now, so use the search feature and you'll easily find dozens of threads about how bad EJ is and how they'll bleed you with fees and shady acts.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

And this is the guy who pretended to be your buddy, who really cared about you. You can always judge someone not when things are good, but when things are bad.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

Mr.BB wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am

And this is the guy who pretended to be your buddy, who really cared about you. You can always judge someone not when things are good, but when things are bad.
I'd rather leave my fund at EJ for the time being.

I feel like it's almost like a form of financial abuse to order me to take my fund elsewhere if I'm not going to invest any more money with him. I pay a yearly administrative fee so I would prefer to leave it there until the end of the year and it's doing pretty well as far as growth. He knows about my other funds and that I have them elsewhere. Which is a sore point with him, as I sold a house and he wanted me to invest the funds with him, but I didn't. I don't believe I actually have to move my fund to a different company. I might move it to a different EJ office for the time being.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

He sound like a vindictive person. I would at least sent him a registered letter telling him not to do anymore trading of your fund and just let it sit where it is at until you decide what to do. Also, keep that letter he sent you telling you that you should have to move that last fund; I think that is illegal to say that. If your going to move EJ offices, just move it to the same place as the rest of your funds and be done with it already.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Move your fund to a low cost broker and send the EJ advisor a “thank you” card for saving you money (lower fees).
Don't wait to move the account, make the time and get it over with. Don't leave a anything with Edward Jones "for the time being". There is no benefit to staying there until the end of the year.

Move your account to a low cost provider like Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab.

Decide which fund company you want to transfer to, call them and ask them to help you with the transfer of your Edward Jones account, and they will do a lot of the work on the transfer.

What type of a account is this? An IRA, or an individual brokerage account?

I agree with the advice to give him written direction to make no more trades in the account
Last edited by ruralavalon on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

I pay a yearly administrative fee so I would prefer to leave it there until the end of the year and it's doing pretty well as far as growth.
You pay an advisor fee, what is it - 1.35%? You do not pay it to the end of the year if you leave now. You only pay for the time you use the advisory service. What are the ticker symbols of some of these funds?
He knows about my other funds and that I have them elsewhere. Which is a sore point with him, as I sold a house and he wanted me to invest the funds with him, but I didn't. I don't believe I actually have to move my fund to a different company. I might move it to a different EJ office for the time being.
No, you don't have to move your money, but why in the world would you want to continue with EJ, with this advisor or any other advisor?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm I'd rather leave my fund at EJ for the time being.

I feel like it's almost like a form of financial abuse to order me to take my fund elsewhere if I'm not going to invest any more money with him.
Like I said above, you should make a complaint.

I pay a yearly administrative fee so I would prefer to leave it there until the end of the year....
Your fee may be "annual" but that does not mean you need to leave it until the end of the year. It is likely charged quarterly and I think (but do not know) they can only charge you for the days you are using it.

I don't believe I actually have to move my fund to a different company.
I don't think you do either.

I might move it to a different EJ office for the time being.
No. Don't do that. Just figure out where you want to hold your money and move it there.
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

retiredjg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:37 pm
neveragain wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm I'd rather leave my fund at EJ for the time being.

I feel like it's almost like a form of financial abuse to order me to take my fund elsewhere if I'm not going to invest any more money with him.
Like I said above, you should make a complaint.

I pay a yearly administrative fee so I would prefer to leave it there until the end of the year....
Your fee may be "annual" but that does not mean you need to leave it until the end of the year. It is likely charged quarterly and I think (but do not know) they can only charge you for the days you are using it.

I don't believe I actually have to move my fund to a different company.
I don't think you do either.

I might move it to a different EJ office for the time being.
No. Don't do that. Just figure out where you want to hold your money and move it there.
Thanks.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

neveragain wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:10 pm
Mr.BB wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am

I feel like it's almost like a form of financial abuse to order me to take my fund elsewhere if I'm not going to invest any more money with him. I pay a yearly administrative fee so I would prefer to leave it there until the end of the year and it's doing pretty well as far as growth. He knows about my other funds and that I have them elsewhere. Which is a sore point with him, as I sold a house and he wanted me to invest the funds with him, but I didn't. I don't believe I actually have to move my fund to a different company. I might move it to a different EJ office for the time being.
OP, this makes ZERO sense. Just get it out of there. I get that your upset. The best revenge is to move on and don't waste any of your own resources on him.
AA- 20+ Years of Expenses Fixed Income/The remainder in Equities.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Independent George wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 pm Ask them to remove yourself from their call list, and document it. If they call again, send a complaint letter to the FCC - they are required to stop as soon as you ask to be removed.
OP still has an account with EJ. I believe that one of the exemptions to the "do not call" list is companies you are already doing business with.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Are you sure you aren't paying your fee quarterly even though it is quoted annually?
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

cherijoh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:49 pm OP still has an account with EJ. I believe that one of the exemptions to the "do not call" list is companies you are already doing business with.
I missed that; the update makes it a very different scenario than was described in the OP. I would have cut my ties and closed the account already.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Tigerfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:09 pm I have had a very different experience with EDJ, maybe I just have an ethical advisor. I used to work with his wife so I knew his character before I moved assets to him. Anyway, I had sufficient assets to eliminate any sales charges and he has not done any churning. These assets are also in a grandfathered account and not under AUM. Portfolio is mostly American Funds that have done very well even with a slightly higher ER they have done better than my assets as Vanguard in index funds.
And a sizeable front end load?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

cherijoh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:57 pm
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
I was going to use the exact same phrase.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

is like $95 (?) to close an EJ account. Each one. At least it was a few years ago. :thumbsdown
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Tigerfan

Post by Tigerfan »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:11 pm
And a sizeable front end load?
No front end load either due to value of investment
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Independent George wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:45 pm
cherijoh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:49 pm OP still has an account with EJ. I believe that one of the exemptions to the "do not call" list is companies you are already doing business with.
I missed that; the update makes it a very different scenario than was described in the OP. I would have cut my ties and closed the account already.
It wasn't in the original post. He put that in a follow up post.
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

Thanks. I don't plan to contact EJ when I move.
Also I paid loads for these funds, I believe they were front end loads Class A shares. Given that, the fund is doing quite well and I may leave it there for a while, then move it. But I'm not going to move it ASAP because he's having a tantrum that I won't invest more money with him. Which is what this is basically all about.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

neveragain wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:34 pm
Thanks. I don't plan to contact EJ when I move.
Also I paid loads for these funds, I believe they were front end loads Class A shares. Given that, the fund is doing quite well and I may leave it there for a while, then move it. But I'm not going to move it ASAP because he's having a tantrum that I won't invest more money with him. Which is what this is basically all about.
If you want to leave your money invested where it is because you believe it will be a good investment for you, then so be it. Above all though, do not let him intimidate you. It’s your money, you’re in charge, and if he has a problem with that, then I suggest you involve FINRA and the SEC in the conversation.

Good luck with whatever course you take.
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

Thanks.

What I have come to learn is that many financial advisers do not like 529 plans because changes to them can only be made twice a year. So, not much to do with them or many ways to make money off them. He knows I have money invested elsewhere, a lot more, and has been very persistent in trying to get that from me.
Topic Author
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

Hiwatter wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:20 am I used them for years before I knew better... The best thing I ever did was close my account with EJ, transfer everything to Fidelity, and setting up a 3-Fund Boglehead-type portfolio.

EJ will nickel and dime you to death. Its how they make money. They talk you into buying or selling just to get a commission, automatically take a cut of your dividends, pressure you to use their "managed" services at a 1 or 2% total account fee, etc, etc... when you close your account they will even charge you a $100 fee as a final kick in the groin. Fidelity actually reimbursed me for EJ's stupid fee believe it or not!
Not only that, but this person asked me what I was "going to do with my house". I told him "live in it." It seems he was suggesting I sell my house and let him invest the money from it. I don't know for sure, but I wasn't comfortable with the question.
Ged

Post by Ged »

GatorFL wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 pm Our local county does the "Best of 2019" survey every year through the local paper. I was filling out my choices today (restaurants, services, etc) and was shocked to see the local EJ guy as one of the picks for Best Investment Manager. I immediately started a campaign with family and friends to select the local Fidelity office instead! Honestly, I would be happy if they voted for a box of rocks on the side of the road vs EJ.

The EJ guy probably has all his friends and relatives voting for him. I hope you have more.