Mutual Funds or ETF for Investment Account & IRA Roth contribution question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
MickMal

Mutual Funds or ETF for Investment Account & IRA Roth contribution question

Post by MickMal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

I hope it is ok that I post two questions together and if not, I apologize and will not do so in the future.

First question- I am opening an investment (taxable/non-retirement) account with Vanguard where I plan to invest in Vanguard index funds. I will set up an auto-investment which will debit my bank account twice a month. My understanding is that you cannot set up auto-investment if you are purchasing ETFs and wanted to ask if I am missing something in not considering ETFs? I do not plan to actively trade rather steadily invest in index funds over the next 10-15 years.

Second question - our (married jointly filing) adjusted gross income (AGI) is just over the limit allowing contributions to a Roth IRA but I am unclear for the modified AGI if we can subtract our Standard deduction or Itemized deduction since if I can, we just skate by in being able to contribute to a Roth IRA.

retiredjg

Re: Mutual Funds or ETF for Investment Account & IRA Roth contribution question

Post by retiredjg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:26 pm

MickMal wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

First question- I am opening an investment (taxable/non-retirement) account with Vanguard where I plan to invest in Vanguard index funds. I will set up an auto-investment which will debit my bank account twice a month. My understanding is that you cannot set up auto-investment if you are purchasing ETFs and wanted to ask if I am missing something in not considering ETFs? I do not plan to actively trade rather steadily invest in index funds over the next 10-15 years.
You are not missing anything. Vanguard ETFs and mutual funds are different versions of the same stuff. Use the one that does what you want (auto investing).

Second question - our (married jointly filing) adjusted gross income (AGI) is just over the limit allowing contributions to a Roth IRA but I am unclear for the modified AGI if we can subtract our Standard deduction or Itemized deduction since if I can, we just skate by in being able to contribute to a Roth IRA.
You are out of luck. The modified AGI for Roth IRA is BEFORE standard/itemized deductions.

Topic Author
MickMal

Post by MickMal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Thank you, sir.

Mutual funds it will be for the investment account and I thought I was out of luck with the Roth contribution but wanted to be certain.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:43 pm

MickMal wrote:I thought I was out of luck with the Roth contribution but wanted to be certain.
There's always the Backdoor Roth method.