Most people wish they invested more and sooner. Any of you wish they invested less?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Jebby

Most people wish they invested more and sooner. Any of you wish they invested less?

Post by Jebby » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:33 am

As the title suggest, many people wish they contributed more to their investments sooner.

So I'm wondering, is there anyone here who opened up with heavy contributions to their brokerage account and in hindsight wishes they hadn't?
Last edited by Jebby on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

FederalFIRE

Re: Most people wish they invested more and sooner. Any of you wish they invested less?

Post by FederalFIRE » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:46 am

I think your question and the second statement are slightly different things. The primary question: "do you wish you invested less?" is quite different than the question about allocating a lot of money to stocks and wishing in hindsight one hadn't. The second speaks more to asset allocation than amount invested.

That said, I fall into the camp of wishing I had done more earlier. The only real ways I could see feeling like I wish I had invested less would be (1) if in hindsight I realize I missed out on opportunities by socking too much away or (2) if I ended up having more tied up in time-bound retirement accounts, annuities, or something else that prevented access to the money.

I personally don't feel like we've given up a lot of current satisfaction in order to invest, but I can see where that could be a very real case, especially if one ends up with a serious illness during mid-life and never gets to enjoy true "retirement" or even FI.

Topic Author
Jebby

Re: Most people wish they invested more and sooner. Any of you wish they invested less?

Post by Jebby » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 am

FederalFIRE wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:46 am
I think your question and the second statement are slightly different things. The primary question: "do you wish you invested less?" is quite different than the question about allocating a lot of money to stocks and wishing in hindsight one hadn't. The second speaks more to asset allocation than amount invested.

That said, I fall into the camp of wishing I had done more earlier. The only real ways I could see feeling like I wish I had invested less would be (1) if in hindsight I realize I missed out on opportunities by socking too much away or (2) if I ended up having more tied up in time-bound retirement accounts, annuities, or something else that prevented access to the money.

I personally don't feel like we've given up a lot of current satisfaction in order to invest, but I can see where that could be a very real case, especially if one ends up with a serious illness during mid-life and never gets to enjoy true "retirement" or even FI.
Thank you for your reply, I've rephrased the second part

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:31 am

Not yet. I am 25 and saving over 50% of my income. I am closing in on $100k invested within the next few months, over 90% of which is in tax-advantaged accounts.

I have wondered if I'm saving too much, although I try to find a balance between current lifestyle and leaving the door open for early retirement around 45-50. We travel at least once a year (just got back from Costa Rica) since that's something I feel I'd regret not doing when I was young.

To compensate I keep other areas of the budget low, like restaurant/bar spending under $100/month when many of our friends spend multiple times that. I drive a Prius (the ultimate sacrifice of pride) even though I want a performance car because I know that would be a huge budget buster for the car payment, maintenance, and doubling my gasoline cost. I feel the car is something I can do "later" and still enjoy it. Maybe even enjoy it more if I get say a Porsche later compared to buying a mid-range car now.

If I get "too much savings" regret, I figure I can do any of the following:
- Spend down taxable accounts to splurge
- Reduce retirement contributions to the minimum 401k match for a huge boost in free cash flow

Seems like an easier fix than regretting not saving enough.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am

So far I have never looked at my account balances and then looked around at my stuff and wished I had lower balances and more stuff.

sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:24 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am
So far I have never looked at my account balances and then looked around at my stuff and wished I had lower balances and more stuff.
+1
No, not really. Certainly not with "stuff."

With experiences, I do occasionally look at choices my brother (a truly prodigious saver) has made for once in a lifetime experiences like "the last chance ever" to see The Who (true story, he has now done that four times :beer ), and feel a pang of regret. But honestly, those were not really choices about savings and more about use of time.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:30 am

sean.mcgrath wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:24 am
Jags4186 wrote:
+1
No, not really. Certainly not with "stuff."

With experiences, I do occasionally look at choices my brother (a truly prodigious saver) has made for once in a lifetime experiences like "the last chance ever" to see The Who (true story, he has now done that four times :beer ), and feel a pang of regret. But honestly, those were not really choices about savings and more about use of time.
Yes I don’t disagree about certain experiences but I also think the experiences label is an excuse used by many to spend frivolously.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 am

I didn't start saving/investing until I was almost 30. I have always chosen to "pay myself first" by living the lifestyle I desired...not by being "401k poor" like many of my friends. I don't regret this even a little. When I started my career, I basically bet on myself being successful, and I knew that I was going to make hay in my 30s. Even with an aggressive rate of return assumption, the money I didn't save in my 20s would be immaterial to me now.

No regrets at all.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:38 am

Jebby wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:33 am
As the title suggest, many people wish they contributed more to their investments sooner.

So I'm wondering, is there anyone here who opened up with heavy contributions to their brokerage account and in hindsight wishes they hadn't?
I bought a Putnam product when I was young and stupid that was a disaster. Other than that, I wish I had contributed more in smart investments earlier.

Still, things have turned out just fine. Life is good.

Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am

I sometimes think that we overdid it on the savings rate. But this is in hindsight, after ten very bullish years. We came out of the financial crisis in fair shape balance-wise for age 50, but at peak career earnings, mortgage paid off and very high savings rate. The account balances just exploded and over-shot our number. In alternate histories where we did get the double-dip recession that everyone was expecting or were under-employed the last decade, maybe our savings rate was just adequate.

You just can't know until you are done. And reaching retirement with your number plus safety factor is not really done unless you really dial down the risk.

KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:31 am
Not yet. I am 25 and saving over 50% of my income. I am closing in on $100k invested within the next few months, over 90% of which is in tax-advantaged accounts.

I have wondered if I'm saving too much, although I try to find a balance between current lifestyle and leaving the door open for early retirement around 45-50. We travel at least once a year (just got back from Costa Rica) since that's something I feel I'd regret not doing when I was young.

To compensate I keep other areas of the budget low, like restaurant/bar spending under $100/month when many of our friends spend multiple times that. I drive a Prius (the ultimate sacrifice of pride) even though I want a performance car because I know that would be a huge budget buster for the car payment, maintenance, and doubling my gasoline cost. I feel the car is something I can do "later" and still enjoy it. Maybe even enjoy it more if I get say a Porsche later compared to buying a mid-range car now.

If I get "too much savings" regret, I figure I can do any of the following:
- Spend down taxable accounts to splurge
- Reduce retirement contributions to the minimum 401k match for a huge boost in free cash flow

Seems like an easier fix than regretting not saving enough.
Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Be cognizant of the fact that if you truly might want to retire in your 40s, you will need significant funds in taxable investments which you can tap before age 50 1/2. Sounds like most of your nest egg is in tax-advantaged accounts which may be tougher to access (although there are ways).

I personally wish I had been more aggressive in investing in taxable accounts at an earlier age. I pretty much locked into working until 60.
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:26 am

I maxed out my 401k for most of my working career. I never needed toys which is just my personality. We keep it simple and are very happy. We spend on what is important to us. Roth didn’t even exist back then! I would say that our portfolio is the right size to continue my lifestyle plus a small buffer. We probably held too much cash, but I never lost sleep over market crashes. I worked hard at my job and I pushed for a few pay increases to keep up with the corporate favorites.

I do regret not understanding taxes much earlier.
Last edited by Wiggums on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

fposte

Post by fposte » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am

I don't wish I'd invested less, but I do wish I'd been paid more :D.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 am

Jags4186 wrote:
+1

Seems like every time that we run short on “stuff“, DW buys some more. But balances are holding up fine.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Index Fan

Post by Index Fan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am

People who died young may wish they had invested less and lived it up more, but they are not around to say so.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am

Wiggums wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:26 am
Same here. To all of America, You're welcome.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am

I wish that we had spent a bit more freely when it was easier to travel with our kids, but overall we did okay. There was no way to know then that we’d do as well as we have. Being worried about excessive RMDs is a nice “problem.”

Nothing that rises to the level of “regret.”
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

sjt

Post by sjt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 am

Index Fan wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am
People who died young may wish they had invested less and lived it up more, but they are not around to say so.
Is this why it's called survivorship bias?
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm

I've always been a saver, but I didn't learn about investing until I was in my early 40s. And that was right around the time I settled down and my career (and paycheck) took off. I was lucky to be able to choose what portion of my income I would live on and enjoyed the life I was willing to finance. No regrets about maxing out available retirement accounts.
I am now one of those people who have "too much" in a tax-deferred account and am facing first RMD this year. But I also saved "more than enough" in a Roth and taxable, so it has all worked out. I don't spend time thinking about what might have been.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 am
I didn't start saving/investing until I was almost 30. I have always chosen to "pay myself first" by living the lifestyle I desired...not by being "401k poor" like many of my friends. I don't regret this even a little. When I started my career, I basically bet on myself being successful, and I knew that I was going to make hay in my 30s. Even with an aggressive rate of return assumption, the money I didn't save in my 202s would be immaterial to me now.

No regrets at all.
Sounds a little like me. I wish I heard of all of this 10 years earlier instead of 28 yrs old. I began my career in 2007 and always did match contributions plus open a Roth IRA. I regret spending money like a dummy on certain stuff. I will say I'm probably more prepared than most 34 year old.

So from 22 to 28 I was just making the company contributions. 75 cents at 8%. As lucky as I was....I put 100% in Boeing where it went to 28 to 137. I got out of it and withdrew 70% to buy a 2012 Mazda3. I haggled my ass off reaching out to 20+ dealers. I wrote the dealership a check paid in full. Always, always act like you will have to take a loan at the dealership. I also took out 9k to buy a house. Those are questions if I did okay even if it was right or wrong. I regret nothing, but just wonder.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:09 pm

NO :D
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Yes - I wish I had not invested at all until I paid off my student loans. I laugh when I hear how "high" interest rates are now - there is nothing even close to double digits. I'm not big on material things, but the purchases I made, with the exception of buying a house, were good ones financially. I'm still driving the new car I bought in 1999. The only other splurge I did was a few trips to Europe to visit my father. If I'd waited until I could better afford those trips... well, he died seven years ago now, and I am still a ways from financial independence. I guess I wished I'd saved less money and done a few more of those expensive trips.

NEInvestor

Post by NEInvestor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 pm

I think it is opportunity cost. Investments are a means to an end to provide stability when you can't work. Certainly balance savings with not forgoing opportunities to experience life.

The longer i have saved and invested, the more I have seen spending money does not increase my happiness nor does keeping more of my salary. Experience s with friends and family bring me more joy.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:15 pm

StandingRock wrote:
Wiggums wrote:
I'll third that. For every Boglehead who's reaped the rewards of tax efficiency, I've paid extra to make up the lost revenue they saved.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:15 pm
StandingRock wrote:
Wiggums wrote:
I'll third that. For every Boglehead who's reaped the rewards of tax efficiency, I've paid extra to make up the lost revenue they saved.
Fourth

TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 pm

No, but I also don't wish I had invested more. I think the amount was correct within margin of error.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 pm

no, i don't wish i invested less. i am 34 year old and over 25x expenses invested.

I now get to decide what my wife, myself and our two daughters do the rest of our lives.

(and no we didn't throw away the first years of their lives)

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 pm

I wish I had invested more and sooner.

sambb

Post by sambb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 pm

yes, i wish i invested less.
I am also glad that i DIDNT invest in y 20s and instead spent money on trips with girlfriends, and going around europe, and fun experiences. i wish i did more of that. Its not the same doing it later in life. The money is irrelevant.

I also wish i invested more in myself rather than in the market

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm

I wish my future self has that particular regret :)

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Given what I know now? Heck yes. 20k spend in my 20s would have brought me more joy that the 200k+ of spending that will lead to in my 50s. Obviously that is all hindsight based and it is pretty much impossible not to oversave given you want to plan for bottom 25% results. Odds are you aren't going to get them. And no retiring at 50 instead of 51 doesn't bring anywhere near the benefit of being able to spend thousands more when your young:)

smarcus3

Post by smarcus3 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm

There's no way to know for sure. If you live a long healthy life there won't be any regrets. If you get sick and die Young being a miser kinda sucks. :oops: I save 50% but have no regrets so far. Cut out stupid spending and still go on international sailing trips annually.
This is my personal opinion. I'm an engineer not a financial advisor.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 pm

NEInvestor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 pm
I think it is opportunity cost. Investments are a means to an end to provide stability when you can't work. Certainly balance savings with not forgoing opportunities to experience life.

The longer i have saved and invested, the more I have seen spending money does not increase my happiness nor does keeping more of my salary. Experience s with friends and family bring me more joy.
And experiences often cost money. That 2k I didn't spend on going to hawaii with friends. That 500 I didn't spend to fly home for thanksgiving. Or the 50 bucks not going to the ballgame or 15 bucks for the movie. You can say well we could do other things that are cheaper (very few things are free. Driving the mile to your friends house costs you .25) and just as enjoyable. Thats true. But often a group wants to do something and you choice is to spend money or skip out on the experience.

smarcus3

Post by smarcus3 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Live in a box so you don't have to pay rent. Don't bring in lunch to the be office just scrounge around for free food. Take the left overs for dinner. Sleep at the office. Use all that money to purchase more shares to VTI/VXUS :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

Just kidding. Everything in moderation.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:06 pm

I wish I had invested less...in useless metal coins.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

Sunflower

Post by Sunflower » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 pm

No. Yes? It's more where/how the money was invested, like a few others have mentioned. I'm winding down my work years and have nothing in taxable, a nice amount in Roth IRA/401k and very nice amount in a traditional 401k. Now I struggle with the best way to do things - moving to a LCOL state and buying a home and furnishings (life-long renter), and wary of the ACA subsidy cliff. I contemplate using Roth funds to buy a home outright (it was after all intended to be an emergency fund) and retire without debt/mortgage. Now I'm considering taking 401k distributions while still employed if possible, in order to avoid the subsidy cliff and have something on the outside. There's just a fear of making a mistake, not doing things in the best way possible.

So it isn't that too much was saved, but the vehicles used for saving. I always felt that I would spend it if I had access to it, so maybe in the long run it all works out.

smarcus3

Post by smarcus3 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Sunflower wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 pm
No. Yes? It's more where/how the money was invested, like a few others have mentioned. I'm winding down my work years and have nothing in taxable, a nice amount in Roth IRA/401k and very nice amount in a traditional 401k. Now I struggle with the best way to do things - moving to a LCOL state and buying a home and furnishings (life-long renter), and wary of the ACA subsidy cliff. I contemplate using Roth funds to buy a home outright (it was after all intended to be an emergency fund) and retire without debt/mortgage. Now I'm considering taking 401k distributions while still employed if possible, in order to avoid the subsidy cliff and have something on the outside. There's just a fear of making a mistake, not doing things in the best way possible.

So it isn't that too much was saved, but the vehicles used for saving. I always felt that I would spend it if I had access to it, so maybe in the long run it all works out.
Probably worthwhile to work with a fee only financial advisor to figure out the best way to take distributions.

JTColton

Post by JTColton » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:25 am

Not me, I didn't put any of this investing stuff together until my mid 30's. I always optimized my spending to 40-50% of income. Not to save the remainder but to spend it. All of it. Every month. Cars, guns, trips, gadgets etc. Absolute waste! Running some back of the napkin math at 38 my TSP balance would be close to $500k instead of $50k. On the other hand I'm getting a COLA indexed pension and zero deductible HC for life so all was not lost, and to be fair I've probably lived a lifetime in these last 20 years.

The things I'll teach my son...

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:30 am

You are asking a skewed sample. The people who have gotten cancer in their 30s or debilitating disabilities in their 40s or 50s - those are the people for whom the fat investment accounts won't buy as much enjoyment.

I definitely don't regret all the money I spent on trips as a student in college or in graduate school. Although I always managed to max out my IRA accounts, all of that money (maybe $20,000 in total over many years) would be worth many, many times that now. But do I regret it? No.

It's like asking someone to save sex for old age. You need a balance. Getting lost in Venice at 25 is not the same as getting lost in Venice at 65.