Vanguard Personal Performance numbers don't match

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Dazed&Confused

Vanguard Personal Performance numbers don't match

Post by Dazed&Confused »

Vanguard's personal performance for my IRA shows 3.5% since inception ( 12/1/2014-1/31/2019). This seemed high as most of the time it was 100% invested in Total Bond Market. Quicken showed 2.18% for the same period and using the table from Vanguards personal performance and the XIRR function in excel it gave 2.15%. I am going to call the 2.15% and 2.18% close enough as the table data from vanguard is per month vs. Quicken with the exact date. Update: Plugging in the exact start date the initial contribution was made using Vanguard Table data gives 2.18%. So Quicken and Vanguard Table data matches. But the reported data in the chart shows 3.5%.

Portfolio Visualizer for TBM for Dec 2014 to Jan 2019 shows CAGR as 1.83%. Note there was only the initial investment in Dec. 2014 and a small investment of (.3%) of the original amount in Jan 2015. I am assuming the difference from the 1.83% and the 2.18% is there was stock in this account that was sold in Aug 2015 before going 100% in Total Bond Market.

I like numbers to tie, so when they don't I go investigating. Why does Vanguard number disagree with their own table (3.5% vs. 2.18%)? Anyone else is seeing this issue?
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
RoxieII

Re: Vanguard Personal Performance numbers don't match

Post by RoxieII »

Bump.
Topic Author
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

I have now forwarded the info and question to my Vanguard Rep. Will post whatever the findings happen to be and conclusion.
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
aspiringboglehead

Post by aspiringboglehead »

Dazed&Confused wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:45 pm I have now forwarded the info and question to my Vanguard Rep. Will post whatever the findings happen to be and conclusion.
Good luck! I haven't found that sort of history on the site to be reliable; even the historical chart of my balances and deposits isn't accurate. I once mentioned this to my representative and the response was one of mild academic interest (to humor me, I assume) followed by a change of subject. :)

Usually "personal performance" figures are based on an approximation to make the computation easier (which has always seemed odd to me because even with tens of millions of customers each with hundreds of deposits and withdrawals a year, the full necessary computation shouldn't strain modern computing resources), but the approximation is usually good enough that it wouldn't explain the difference you're seeing.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I don't bother with Vanguard's numbers because I have my own spreadsheet that includes my other investments that Vanguard doesn't consider.
Topic Author
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

So far they just quoted back to me what is on the website on how they do the calculation. I have requested that they froward my question to someone who can actually look into the difference between the actual performance number and their reported number.