Caculating Returns from Vanguard site ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
shuresm7b1

Caculating Returns from Vanguard site ?

Post by shuresm7b1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi,
Is there a way at Vanguard.com to show the history of the last 10 years of investments for each of my funds ?

I have money market, IRA and Roth accounts and each of those have different investments in them and I would be able to calculate what the returns have been for each of them over a 10 year period. Thanks for any ideas.

Admiral

Re: Caculating Returns from Vanguard site ?

Post by Admiral » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm

Click on the ticker symbol on the left side.
Click on "cost basis summary" on the left side under "Your holding"

From there you can view all gains (losses) realized and unrealized for any holding. You may need to click on "show details" and possibly "View/Change cost basis method" depending on whether you have "SpecID" used for each holding, which is more granular and will show you the cost basis for each lot of shares.

Hope this answers your question.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 pm

As above. To understand your return you have to know the beginning and ending values and also take account of contributions and withdrawals and the dates for everything. You can then enter all of it into a spreadsheet and compute an internal rate of return using, for example, the Excel function XIRR. When brokers compute that it is called Personal Return, but I don't think any broker breaks that out by holding though they might break it out by account.

krow36

Post by krow36 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 pm

shuresm7b1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm
Hi,
Is there a way at Vanguard.com to show the history of the last 10 years of investments for each of my funds ?

I have money market, IRA and Roth accounts and each of those have different investments in them and I would be able to calculate what the returns have been for each of them over a 10 year period. Thanks for any ideas
Under My Account, go to Holdings, and then to Prices and Returns. The returns of all your funds in each account will be listed (over YTD, 1, 3, 5 and 10 yrs). Is this what you are asking about?

Topic Author
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am

Admiral wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 pm
Click on the ticker symbol on the left side.
Click on "cost basis summary" on the left side under "Your holding"

From there you can view all gains (losses) realized and unrealized for any holding. You may need to click on "show details" and possibly "View/Change cost basis method" depending on whether you have "SpecID" used for each holding, which is more granular and will show you the cost basis for each lot of shares.

Hope this answers your question.
Thanks you but I get "Vanguard's cost basis service offers average cost information only for IRAs established after July 11, 2011."

Topic Author
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am

krow36 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 pm
shuresm7b1 wrote:
Hi,

I have money market, IRA and Roth accounts and each of those have different investments in them and I would be able to calculate what the returns have been for each of them over a 10 year period. Thanks for any ideas
Under My Account, go to Holdings, and then to Prices and Returns. The returns of all your funds in each account will be listed (over YTD, 1, 3, 5 and 10 yrs). Is this what you are asking about?
Thanks, While that lists the returns of the funds, I want to get more granular to each dollar including initial deposit, additional deposits and withdrawals.

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 am

shuresm7b1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am
krow36 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 pm
shuresm7b1 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks, While that lists the returns of the funds, I want to get more granular to each dollar including initial deposit, additional deposits and withdrawals.
The activity page will show all activity for the time period you specify: deposits (contributions), distributions, reinvestment, sales and proceeds, etc. I guess I don't understand what you are asking. Obviously all of these activities affect your overall return.

The cost basis issue is due to a law change that required brokers/fiduciaries to track cost basis after that date. Before that, it was up to the participant. Anything before that you are likely only to see FIFO.

Topic Author
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 am

I think I found what I need in the Balances and Holdings area / Transaction History and then custom date range. My goal is to get each fund and calculate Personal Return over time and it appears to allow history from 1993. Thanks so much for your help guys.

Topic Author
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:02 am

I spoke to soon. Trying to copy / paste the data into Excel is a mess. The data does not copy in any standard form or export so it's a mess. I did find an extension for Chrome called Table Capture and it captured it beautifully so I'm back in business.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 am

shuresm7b1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:02 am
I spoke to soon. Trying to copy / paste the data into Excel is a mess. The data does not copy in any standard form or export so it's a mess. I did find an extension for Chrome called Table Capture and it captured it beautifully so I'm back in business.
Excellent. Glad this worked out.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:13 am

shuresm7b1 wrote:
That’s good about the table capture.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:16 pm

shuresm7b1 wrote:
Op have you used Morningstar portfolio manager? If so, are you able to export the data to Morningstar portfolio manager? I would be curious if this works as well.

Topic Author
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 pm

Sorry, I don't know Morning* portfolio manager,

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:05 pm

shuresm7b1 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 pm
Sorry, I don't know Morning* portfolio manager,
Morningstar Portfolio Manager is a free software to keep an track on your entire portfolio without access to your actual account.
Unfortunately, it does not monitor Community Investment trusts. See link below:

https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio.html

As long as you are registered user, it is free to use and easy to set up your account balances, all you need is the fund symbol and closing balance at the end of the day, usually around 7:30PM EST

Here are instructions setting up using Morninstar X-ray tool

https://www.doughroller.net/investing/m ... tar-x-ray/