? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
Lafder
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:56 pm
Location: East of the Rio Grande

? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by Lafder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:44 am

My daughter's W-2 ( for her part time restaurant work where they pool tips and distribute with their paycheck ) lists

Wages tips other compensation $6935

Social security wages $3814

Medicare Wages and tips $7017

I would like to help her set up an IRA or Roth.

Which of those numbers represents the max contribution she can make?

She is 19. Would you do a Roth or IRA? I was thinking Roth.......

Lafder

User avatar
dunkmachine
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by dunkmachine » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Technically it's based of one's modified AGI. You can use Form 1040 to calculate that using the W-2.

Definitely do a tax deductible traditional IRA first before Roth IRA.

**I edited this to reflect that maybe it's not a definite. With the 10% tax rate, it's likely better to do Roth.

nolesrule
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by nolesrule » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:16 pm

If this is her only earned compensation then simply the lesser of the max contribution amount for the tax year or Box 1 of the W-2.

mark1623
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by mark1623 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:40 pm

dunkmachine wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 pm
Technically it's based of one's modified AGI. You can use Form 1040 to calculate that using the W-2.

Definitely do a tax deductible traditional IRA first before Roth IRA.

**I edited this to reflect that maybe it's not a definite. With the 10% tax rate, it's likely better to do Roth.
Wouldn't she be in the 0% tax rate?

Topic Author
Lafder
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:56 pm
Location: East of the Rio Grande

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by Lafder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Box 1 is "wages,tips,other $6935"

I believe she is still a dependent as she lives at home and we cover car, living expenses.

Does that effect the taxes she pays?

We have not filed yet. Is there an advantage to her to not being a dependent? We have not given her cash more than she made. But surely her living expenses we covered for the year exceed,are worth more than she made. I suppose if I give her cash for a retirement account, it's equal to what she made last year, but it is 2019 already.

Lafder

Retired2013
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by Retired2013 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm

IRA limits for individual is $5,500 so $5,500. She is in the 0% bracket so do a ROTH account. Tax bill should be 0.00

Topic Author
Lafder
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:56 pm
Location: East of the Rio Grande

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by Lafder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:57 pm

They deducted state and federal taxes of about 400 and 100. Hopefully she can get those back.
:)

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 6376
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Retired2013 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm
IRA limits for individual is $5,500 so $5,500. She is in the 0% bracket so do a ROTH account. Tax bill should be 0.00
Isn't it $6,000 for 2019?
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

nolesrule
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by nolesrule » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Retired2013 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm
IRA limits for individual is $5,500 so $5,500. She is in the 0% bracket so do a ROTH account. Tax bill should be 0.00
Isn't it $6,000 for 2019?
Sure, but if you're looking at a 2018 W-2, then the assumption is it's a 2018 contribution.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 6376
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:22 pm

nolesrule wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Retired2013 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm
IRA limits for individual is $5,500 so $5,500. She is in the 0% bracket so do a ROTH account. Tax bill should be 0.00
Isn't it $6,000 for 2019?
Sure, but if you're looking at a 2018 W-2, then the assumption is it's a 2018 contribution.
:oops: You're absolutely right. I didn't trigger on that, I was thinking of contributions for this year.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

kaneohe
Posts: 5954
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by kaneohe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:56 pm

Lafder wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:57 pm
They deducted state and federal taxes of about 400 and 100. Hopefully she can get those back.
:)
You will need to file a tax return to get those back..........so file even if technically she doesn't have to.

Topic Author
Lafder
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:56 pm
Location: East of the Rio Grande

Re: ? Tips as income for IRA/Roth

Post by Lafder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Thank you all.

I had the same thought about 6000 max. doh.... that is for this year :)

lafder

Post Reply