PG&E stock or ETF at Vanguard?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
doublehelix

PG&E stock or ETF at Vanguard?

Post by doublehelix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:55 pm

Is there a way to buy PG&E stock on Vanguard's website? Thanks
Last edited by doublehelix on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoMoney

Re: PG&E stock of ETF at Vanguard?

Post by JoMoney » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

You need a brokerage account to buy individual stocks and ETFs.
If you have a brokerage account at Vanguard, buying stocks/ETFs using their online web access is one of the ways to to it.
https://investor.vanguard.com/stocks/

Bogleheads generally promote investing in a balanced portfolio of broad market indexes, and discourage buying individual stocks.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
doublehelix

Post by doublehelix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:03 pm

So does a Roth IRA count as a brokerage account, and would that work for me?

regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:09 pm

You can send me a check for how much you were planning on investing. It should accomplish the same thing :mrgreen:

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Yes, there is a way.

Warning: in the process of getting to these screen, searches kept bringing me to preferred stock. I don't know what's with that, and I'm not clear on whether this page is actually showing common stock or not.

Also: I don't know what you had in mind, but it looks as if you might be too late...

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
doublehelix

Post by doublehelix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Yep, I meant to buy some yesterday, and completely missed it :(

Also, if I purchase through the route that you pictured about, will that be in my Roth IRA?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:19 pm

If you use that route, notice the "account" choice. It will give you a choice of accounts. If you have more than one and you want to buy the stock in your Roth IRA, you will look for a choice that says "Doublehelix Roth IRA."

If you opened your account recently, you probably have a brokerage account already.

If you have ever held anything at Vanguard that wasn't a Vanguard mutual fund, you have a brokerage account already.

If you opened it years ago, it might only be a mutual fund account.

If it is only a mutual fund account, you will need to do one of two things: add a brokerage account (which is the way you used to do it), or upgrade/update etc. your account to the "new" platform. It costs nothing, I think it's very quick, you can either try to figure it out yourself or call Vanguard. It's something they'll know how to do.

If you don't have a brokerage account, you need to open one if you want to buy, sell, or hold individual stocks, individual bonds, non-Vanguard mutual funds, or non-Vanguard ETFs.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
doublehelix

Post by doublehelix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:25 pm

I see it is labeled as a brokerage acct. Thanks for your help!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Also, if there is some volatility in this stock, and that's likely these days (who knows what "news" will break next, or when), I would NOT place a "market" order.

I'd suggest using a "limit" order.
(That's all we've ever done, with very, very rare exceptions.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Just to be clear, doublehelix: I don't think buying individual stocks is a good idea. But I wanted to answer your question clearly, first.

The Bogleheads investment philosophy says:
Rather than trying to pick the specific securities or sectors of the market (US stocks, international stocks, and US bonds) that will outperform in the future, Bogleheads buy funds that are widely diversified, or even approximate the whole market.
John C. Bogle liked to say "don't look for the needle in the haystack, buy the haystack."

Buying individual stocks because you think you can predict their price movements is a worse idea.

Buying individual stocks because you think you can predict their price movements, when all that you know about the company is ordinary news headlines that everyone knows just as well as you... and some people know an hour before you do... is worse yet.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:34 pm

You will pay 7 dollars unless you are rich. Your ROTH IRA needs to be a brokerage account.

EDIT: Looks like you missed a massive jump. Still want to buy it?
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:43 pm

doublehelix wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:55 pm
Is there a way to buy PG&E stock on Vanguard's website? Thanks
A utility company stock with a suspended dividend. Shares dropped from $70 and change to $6 and change. They still have massive legal implications if found negligent of the deadly 2018 fires. What about future fires?

Edit: A "large" bit of gambling at this point if you are looking to buy shares.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other excellent utility company stocks throughout the nation that pay handsome dividends with no issues such as PG&E are facing, and are not located in California which is not a favorable state with regard to utility companies for investors.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm

I went to a poker game once. First time. Everyone was very eager to teach me how to play. Did pretty well--a certain kind of crazy, you know? You gotta be a little crazy or a little lucky to win at this game.

software

Post by software » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Dialectical Investor wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm
I went to a poker game once. First time. Everyone was very eager to teach me how to play. Did pretty well--a certain kind of crazy, you know? You gotta be a little crazy or a little lucky to win at this game.
You actually don’t need to be either, you just need to be patient. Something which most people are not.

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:10 pm

software wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:58 pm
You actually don’t need to be either, you just need to be patient. Something which most people are not.
That helps. OP could make out on this investment--I don't know. But to not know how to buy an individual stock and then decide you want to buy one that faces the prospect of untold billions in liabilities, with a highly uncertain outcome, right after it shot up 70-some percent, seems particularly speculative to me, which I think requires some luck even if you are patient.

I made out well on my first speculative investment. Sold too soon though, in hindsight. Guess I wasn't patient enough. :)

software

Post by software » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:10 pm
software wrote:
That helps. OP could make out on this investment--I don't know. But to not know how to buy an individual stock and then decide you want to buy one that faces the prospect of untold billions in liabilities, with a highly uncertain outcome, right after it shot up 70-some percent, seems particularly speculative to me, which I think requires some luck even if you are patient.

I made out well on my first speculative investment. Sold too soon though, in hindsight. Guess I wasn't patient enough. :)
To be clear, I was not condoning the OP’s action. Quite the opposite. The patient route is to keep a boring passive portfolio of index funds and get rich slowly.

People take on these speculative investments because they are not patient enough for this.

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 pm

software wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:16 pm
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:10 pm
software wrote:

To be clear, I was not condoning the OP’s action. Quite the opposite. The patient route is to keep a boring passive portfolio of index funds and get rich slowly.

People take on these speculative investments because they are not patient enough for this.
I see that now. Guess it all depends on how we define the "game." I'm not sure myself, but I do know the OP is contemplating a different sort of game, or at least one with different rules, compared to the index-fund version.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 pm

I guess I have earned a reputation here as being one of the least Bogleheadish forum participants, what with my advocacy of leveraged ETFs, active bond funds, and [some] variable annuities.

But even for me, there is a bridge too far.

DON’T DO THIS. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MONEY.

Topic Author
doublehelix

Post by doublehelix » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:00 pm

I think that there is definitely room for this stock to go up, or down. There is something to be said about taking a couple hundred dollars in your portfolio, and "gambling" with it. I'm perfectly ready to lose it all. It is in no one going to change my basic strategy of buy and hold index funds.

DB2

Re: PG&E stock or ETF at Vanguard?

Post by DB2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm

I agree, I would just pass on this. As of writing this, I see it's down 12.4% already.

If one wants to put a little of their money in an individual stock, I would look to good company with promising long term prospects (that could be a little more recession proof as well) with dividends (one example, McDonalds, etc.) where you just hold onto it for many years.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:14 pm

DB2 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm
I agree, I would just pass on this. As of writing this, I see it's down 12.4% already.
So you’re saying it was a good short and OP was a good contrary indicator? :)

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:03 pm

I hope nobody had any of this left by the end of today.

HAL 9000

Post by HAL 9000 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Never catch a falling knife...

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:44 pm

seems like very similar threads:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=270726&p=4348725#p4348725
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:29 am

doublehelix wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:00 pm
I'm perfectly ready to lose it all.
PG&E filed for bankruptcy yesterday (January 28th).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:31 am

HAL 9000 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 pm
Never catch a falling knife...
But it is perfectly OK to catch a fallen spoon. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
doublehelix

Post by doublehelix » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Already up $1.50 per share from when I bought it :wink: