Full listing of mutual fund holdings

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mminaz

Full listing of mutual fund holdings

Post by mminaz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:29 am

Everywhere I look, most financial websites give the Top 10 holdings of a mutual fund. Vanguard allows you to view the holdings at 50 companies per page.

How can all the holdings be viewed on a single page or better yet be downloaded into a spreadsheet. The idea is to make the holdings easier to search.
Those who understand interest <i>GET</i> it, those who don't; <b>PAY</b> it. | VFINX 33% / VIMSX 15% / NAESX 15% / VDMIX 20% / VEIEX 10% / VGSIX 7%

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Full listing of mutual fund holdings

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:36 am

mminaz wrote:Everywhere I look, most financial websites give the Top 10 holdings of a mutual fund. Vanguard allows you to view the holdings at 50 companies per page.

How can all the holdings be viewed on a single page or better yet be downloaded into a spreadsheet. The idea is to make the holdings easier to search.

Hi mminaz:

I'm curious. What benefit do you derive from knowing your fund's individual holdings? Is it to second-guess the fund manager?

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor

Topic Author
mminaz

Post by mminaz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:53 am

Not at all,

The idea is to quickly find if I truly hold all the world's stocks ex. Canada (see my sig for my holdings). I friend at work was bragging about his individual stock picks.

I want to take satisfaction that the index strategy holds a little bit of everybody.
Last edited by mminaz on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who understand interest <i>GET</i> it, those who don't; <b>PAY</b> it. | VFINX 33% / VIMSX 15% / NAESX 15% / VDMIX 20% / VEIEX 10% / VGSIX 7%

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Reason for knowing fund holdings.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:00 pm

Mminaz:

Thank you for your reply.

Best wishes.
Taylor

tfb

Re: Full listing of mutual fund holdings

Post by tfb » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:19 pm

mminaz wrote:How can all the holdings be viewed on a single page or better yet be downloaded into a spreadsheet. The idea is to make the holdings easier to search.
You get full listings from the fund's semi-annual reports. The reports are available on the fund company's web site or SEC's EDGAR site. Bogleheads Wiki has links to the SEC reports for most Vanguard funds. I heard M* also started listing SEC reports.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Topic Author
mminaz

Post by mminaz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:35 pm

Perfect! You led me to just what I was looking for.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/litera ... utualfunds

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:06 pm

mminaz wrote:...The idea is to quickly find if I truly hold all the world's stocks ex. Canada (see my sig for my holdings). I friend at work was bragging about his individual stock picks.

I want to take satisfaction that the index strategy holds a little bit of everybody.
The index strategy does not hold a little bit of everybody. I hope you are not disappointed. Also, I wouldn't try to compete with friends at work nor with other family members with regards to investing. I have found that they generally remember only their winners and conveniently forget about their losers and other mistakes. Of course, you could ask for audited results ... now that might interesting.

Topic Author
mminaz

Post by mminaz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:39 pm

I'm finding that there are a few companies that are not held in the major Vanguard indices. No worries, at least I have a very broad mix at low cost.

My only competing with people at work is trying to get them to understand "the relentless rules of humble arithmetic" :wink:

johnjtaylorus

Post by johnjtaylorus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:37 pm

mminaz, if you look at indexing at Vanguard and elsewhere, you'll note the difference between a full replication strategy and a sampling strategy in some offerings.

PiperWarrior

Post by PiperWarrior » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:23 am

johnjtaylorus wrote:mminaz, if you look at indexing at Vanguard and elsewhere, you'll note the difference between a full replication strategy and a sampling strategy in some offerings.
Yup. For example, the prospectus of Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx (VTSMX) says:
The Fund typically holds 1,200-1,300 stocks in its target index (covering nearly 95% of the Index's total market capitalization) and a representative sample of the remaining stocks.