Any way to display the old design on the Vanguard website?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Daitokuji

Any way to display the old design on the Vanguard website?

Post by Daitokuji » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Vanguard recently did a redesign of their website and I prefer the old look. But sometimes when I click around on things, it will temporarily revert to the old layout. Anyone know of a way to permanently have it display the old design of the Vanguard website?

Typ997S

Re: Any way to display the old design on the Vanguard website?

Post by Typ997S » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I don't have a solution, but I have the same problem, the site seems to jump back and forth between the new and the old design multiple times in a given login session...pretty annoying...

jryan

Post by jryan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Is the Balances and holdings page the look that you prefer?

Topic Author
Daitokuji

Post by Daitokuji » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

I prefer the old design with the white and brown/manila colours. The new one is just a plain white background with text formatted in kind of an ugly way.

panhead

Post by panhead » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Daitokuji wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm
Vanguard recently did a redesign of their website and I prefer the old look. But sometimes when I click around on things, it will temporarily revert to the old layout. Anyone know of a way to permanently have it display the old design of the Vanguard website?
This happens to me as well. I log in, click on 'balances and holdings' and I get what appears to be a new format which isn't as easy to read for me. I click on it again, and it changes to the old look I'm used to.

To answer the question, I don't know how to make it always look the old way, but the way it bounces between old and new makes me very nervous about the quality of the engineers designing and maintaining the site. Hopefully their security is up to snuff.....

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 pm

jryan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:52 pm
Is the Balances and holdings page the look that you prefer?
Uh, need your password...

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:03 pm

I likewise prefer the readability of the old style page and accidentally discovered how to get there quickly.

I am still on the old mutual fund website, not the brokerage platform. When I log in on the mutual fund web site, it opens the Account Overview page, which is the new style page.

Click My Accounts on the top menu bar.

On the drop down menu from My Accounts, the top two items on the left column are
Account Overview
and
Balances and Holdings.

Click Balances and Holdings to go to the old style page.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 pm

absolutely agree w/ first few posts- I hate the 'new' look, hard to read.

In the 'menu' at left when you click the hamburger (the 3 stacked horizontal bars), if you click around it does bring the 'old' screen back.

I don't spend a ton of time logged in but when I am, I immediately go looking for that 'view'.

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Def. agree with many about the new page look, I like the old school ( bal. and holdings) pages look much better. Easier to read for sure. Also, for this caveman, I wish I could just click once...and pull up all Vanguard mut. funds. Instead of going through a few pages and then selecting "filters" if I want the regular/admiral stats. on many funds. I wish Vanguard would list all, reg. and admiral fund data in one view one major list...why not?

stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 pm

As noted above, it's the Balances and Holdings page... I dislike the new look as well, it's just too large and does not display much information so it's less useful.

indexlover

Post by indexlover » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 pm

“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the hands-down choice should be Jack Bogle.” - Mr. Buffett - Berkshire Hathaway ’s 2016 annual report.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 am

I hate the new design. It displays much less information, there is no “print this page” option. Yep, I hate it. Ugh. Why did they try to fix something that wasn’t broken?
New is not always better.

sarabayo

Post by sarabayo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:20 am

Throw two more cents on the pile -- the new look sux :)

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am

Gnirk wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 am
I hate the new design. It displays much less information, there is no “print this page” option. Yep, I hate it. Ugh. Why did they try to fix something that wasn’t broken?
New is not always better.
Just a guess, it seems to be a move that many web sites are making, toward being more "mobile-friendly". It's possible to code and implement for both platforms on a site, but it's more involved, and some sites simply consider it easier to code for the lower common denominator (mobile) and let it fall where it will on the desktop. For example, Delta recently made a similar move with their landing page; it's mobile-friendly, but renders horribly on my Chrome browser.

Yes, it's horrible for desktop users.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

RickBoglehead

Yup. Remove the "k/" from the url

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:12 am

I figured it out. When on the Balances and Holdings page, look up at the url. There is a "k/" in it. Remove it. Hit enter, and you will see the old page.

I get the old page with one ID and the new page with another, and compared the url.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

RetiredinKaty

Post by RetiredinKaty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Here is a way to navigate to the old printable view from the new view: From Account Overview - Balances tab, click on "balances by date" on the lower left. When that view loads, click on "current balances" on the upper left.

John151

Post by John151 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks! This works.