Emergency Fund options as prior CD's mature?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
WillyMcG

Emergency Fund options as prior CD's mature?

Post by WillyMcG »

5 years ago I received helpful advice here to create an emergency fund of CD's at PenFed. Time flies, they are now maturing and I need to decide what to do. By default they will renew into new 5 year CDs into the available rate at the maturity date.

Originally I created 4 CD's of 5k each. 3 of them mature of 12/21/2018 and the last one on 1/11/2019 (must have added this one a couple weeks later).

Should I just let them renew? Currently PenFed is paying 3.30% APY on their 5 year CD. This is truly emergency fund and I have my retirement and other personal savings in good shape.
PFInterest

Re: Emergency Fund options as prior CD's mature?

Post by PFInterest »

sure.
RickBoglehead

Re: Emergency Fund options as prior CD's mature?

Post by RickBoglehead »

I would not just let them renew before I checked PenFed's rates vs. others. I would also consider a rising interest rate environment, and whether it makes sense for 5 year renewals vs. a shorter term. If nothing else, I'd make a ladder of terms, perhaps 2, 3, and 5, and then simply revolve it as time goes on.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.