401k and IRA withdrawal options for nonresidents

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
subtleclassic

401k and IRA withdrawal options for nonresidents

Post by subtleclassic »

Hi yall,

I'm currently living and working in California and pursuing an H1-B and a green card. At this point in time there's a lot of uncertainty regarding my future retirement plans, but I have a very specific question regarding withdrawing money from 401(k) and IRA accounts in the future if I'm no longer living in the United States.

I know that if I'm located here by the time I retire and I have invested in a traditional 401(k) I will have to pay Federal and State income taxes based on wherever it is that I choose to retire. What about the State income tax if I'm no longer in the US and I have never been a resident of any state I've ever worked in? If I withdraw from a traditional 401k overseas after hitting the appropriate age, I know I will have to pay Federal Income Tax on any distributions I make that year. But will I still be subject to the Californian State Income tax just because this is where I most recently lived before leaving the US? What is the policy there?

Thank you all for your help.
PFInterest

Re: 401k and IRA withdrawal options for nonresidents

Post by PFInterest »

Don't think so. You don't live there. Would be no different than moving to FL for example.