Roth vs IRA 3 fund Portfolio's percentages

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mr Potter

Roth vs IRA 3 fund Portfolio's percentages

Post by Mr Potter »

New member here; I am 65 and love the simplicity of the three fund portfolio; I used to check daily and more often when I had 10 or more investments. My question is the percentage you place in each category. It seems in days of 60/40 bonds offset down equity markets, now they both fall with rising rates. International is very scary to me with currency issues, unfavorable court rulings, tariffs, etc..... Myself, I am 50% US total market, 20% intl' (now have gone to about 10%) and TIPs, CDs 30% or enough to draw from for 10 years. My Roth I have a single Vanguard dividend etf. The ratio is 1:5 Roth/IRA. I now direct dividend's to checking and plan on not touching Roth principle. My equity etf's are the new no cost Fidelity funds, Schwab holds my tips. I am wondering am I to heavy in equities? It seems Intl' and bonds are just terrible investments for the foreseeable future.
PFInterest

Re: Roth vs IRA 3 fund Portfolio's percentages

Post by PFInterest »

you probably are.
why not start with 60:40 and go from there.
you have an avg of 20 years to go, still plenty of time to weather a few more ups/downs.
but none of this is new. youve literally lived through this before. this is not different.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Asset allocation is a totally personal decision. 70% equities is a little rich for my blood in retirement, I went 50/50 myself, but the trinity study shows that 70/30 will work if you can stomach the downturns. Switching to CDs for par of your fixed income is not unreasonable, many threads on it here.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadepfau/2 ... aa8b7a6860
viewtopic.php?t=240347
Last edited by mhalley on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 »

Can anyone "foresee" the future? How long is the "foreseeable future"? I think trying to foresee the future is market timing, which has not worked out too well for me. I don't know whether international stocks and bonds are terrible investments now or not. That's why I diversify in different investment classes, not all of which I currently love. As to whether I'm overexposed in equities, I am if I have any doubt I can stay the course, as outlined in my investment policy statement, through a prolonged market downturn.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

100% stock if you don't intend to make withdrawals or need income.