Will cap gain and dividend count as wash sale?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
artking99

Will cap gain and dividend count as wash sale?

Post by artking99 »

If I sell some shares I bought in Oct to tax loss harvest today, will the cap gain and dividend in the next couple weeks count as wash sale? If yes, how can avoid this wash sale situation?
DSInvestor

Re: Will cap gain and dividend count as wash sale?

Post by DSInvestor »

If you reinvest the capital gains and dividend distributions and acquire new shares of the fund within the wash sale window, you will have a wash sale. Stop reinvestment of those distributions and you should be fine. If you're investing using an automatic transaction to buy monthly, stop that as well.

The wash sale window includes the day of the sale, the 30 days prior to date of sale and the 30 days after the sale.
Wiki
Topic Author
artking99

Post by artking99 »

So I should take the cap gain and dividend as CASH without reinvesting, is this right?

Thx.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

Yes you shouldn't reinvest.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

You can direct the distributions to a money market fund or another holding you haven't tax loss harvested. If you have capital gains distributions on an actively managed fund I would stop all reinvestments into that fund and only buy more tax efficient indexed investments in the future.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

stan1 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:56 am You can direct the distributions to a money market fund or another holding you haven't tax loss harvested.
If you have one of the new brokerage accounts, you can only direct distributions to the sweep account, which is a MM account.