Oops! Edward Jones tops Vanguard in customer survey

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
nbseer

Oops! Edward Jones tops Vanguard in customer survey

Post by nbseer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:47 pm

New customer survey drops Vanguard down, below Edward Jones! :oops:

http://www2.philly.com/philly/business/ ... 81113.html

awval999

Re: Oops! Edward Jones tops Vanguard in customer survey

Post by awval999 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm

I don't know why this is surprising.

From the topics and posts here Vanguard has bare-bones customer service. If you desire higher level customer service one should be with Fidelity, Edward Jones, etc.

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Apparently, this result is largely due to the fact that many EJ clients have no idea of what they are paying, although that is hard to understand given the amount of ER advertising in recent years. Perhaps the question was phrased to downplay the overall value client's receive for their dollar spent.

What would you take - the TIer 5 blockbuster drug that is 1% better and costs $200 a month
or the Tier 1 generic that costs $4 a month and is 1% inferior?

Would be interesting to see the entire list if it includes several discount brokers and several full service firms.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:23 pm

awval999 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm

From the topics and posts here Vanguard has bare-bones customer service. If you desire higher level customer service one should be with Fidelity, Edward Jones, etc.
Agreed I have Fido & Van accounts:

Fidelity is very easy to work with on the phone and their mailed paperwork is easy to deal with.
Vanguard not so much but I also almost never do anything beyond adding $$$ to the Vanguard 3 fund account.

I looked into EJ once it was a nightmare to understand and never looked back.

beergod

Post by beergod » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:40 pm

the article states Vanguards rating "matches the overall rating for its sector, and that of Fidelity Investments"

Vanguard/Fidelity/Rest of the sector: 79
Edward Jones: 80

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Walk into an EJ office and get green walls, piano music and free coffee.
Walk into a Vanguard office and trip over your computer.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 pm

With Thanksgiving coming up you're going to give your BIL a crappy review? :beer :twisted:

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Why care about a 1 point ratings difference in a customer satisfaction survey?

It is not going cause a stampede from Vanguard to EJ.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Hey......EJ rep will send you a Birthday Card...........not gonna get that from VG. :beer

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:03 pm

It's not just the actual number, but rather that they dropped a few points from where they were and are now "similar to the others in scoring on customer service". I would think Vanguard would prefer to be at the head of the pack rather than in the pack.

jmorgans

Post by jmorgans » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Reminds me of patient satisfaction surveys in which the highest rated physicians are those who agree to prescribe antibiotics, order CAT scans and do unnecessary measures that patients demand. Patients leave happy but they are not getting quality care.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 pm

awval999 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm

I recently had an encounter with a Vanguard CSR on a fund transfer into VG, He was professional, knowledgeable, and personable. He answered my questions and followed up with an email the next day.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Edward Jones will become your best friend for about 1% of your net worth per annum.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

It's a Philadelphia newspaper!

They need to headline a local company (Malvern, Vanguard's headquarters, is about 35 miles northwest of Philadelphia) to sell papers.

bill

dogagility

Post by dogagility » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 am

jmorgans wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm
Reminds me of patient satisfaction surveys in which the highest rated physicians are those who agree to prescribe antibiotics, order CAT scans and do unnecessary measures that patients demand. Patients leave happy but they are not getting quality care.
Exactly :beer
Taking "risk" since 1995.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:22 am

The survey would be quite different if they included past clients - like me.
This seems to be a result of survivor bias - when you wake up and leave EJ really mad they never ask you for your opinions in these polls.
YMMV

Oak&Elm

Post by Oak&Elm » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 am

Edward Jones will become your best friend for about 1% of your net worth per annum.
Don't forget to add the standard 5.75% front end load on the class A funds, and of course all the funds EJ recommends are class A

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:33 am

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm
Yep. I will become friends with just about ANYBODY for 1% of their net worth per annum :mrgreen:

EJ has GREAT customer service, but most people have no idea how much they are paying for it. I think it's odd that someone listed Fidelity in the same breath as EJ. Fidelity is just another anonymous online brokerage for the most part (although I've seen a few actual offices). Like Vanguard, everything is great as long as you aren't in one of the .1% of situations where you need the help of a real person.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 am

Another thing that EJ likes to do is to "juice" up bond returns by purchasing individual corporate bonds with higher yields, and many of their customers probably have no idea that they are taking on additional risks (call risk, default risk, liquidity risk ) versus a more diversified approach. It works until it doesn't.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am

I'd rather have a low cost no frills brokerage than a high cost snake oil salesman. Customer surveys are worthless. Look at where the assets are moving.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 am
I'd rather have a low cost no frills brokerage than a high cost snake oil salesman. Customer surveys are worthless. Look at where the assets are moving.
No frills is OK. It’s hidden landmines that are the problem with VG.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:02 am

Con men are always your best buddy while they are fleecing you. Why would these results suprise anyone. Especially, since the vast majority of EJ customers don't realize their underperformance or just how much they are paying for the hand holding/glad handing.

Abe

Post by Abe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 am

fishandgolf wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Hey......EJ rep will send you a Birthday Card...........not gonna get that from VG. :beer
My Vanguard rep once sent me a copy of "Enough" signed by Mr Bogle. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:27 am

JoMoney wrote:
Their Assets Under Management fees are 1.35% a year, if I remember right. That also doesn't cover the expense ratios of the underlying funds, but in Edward Jones defense are cheaper funds. But still too expensive.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Mehitabel

Post by Mehitabel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:40 am

littlebird wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 am
Alexa9 wrote:
Umm. What hidden landmines?

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 am

From OP's link:

"The Malvern-based company's score dropped to 79 out of 100, down three points from last year and knocking it out of first place. The new leader is Edward Jones & Co., which scored an 80."

Dropped some and now one point below top score of Edward Jones

"The fund giant's score of 79 matches the overall rating for its sector, and that of Fidelity Investments."

Now Vanguard has same score as Fidelity. Both at 79.

FWIW, my experiences have remained positive, so I'm still happy.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 pm

The article states Vanguards rating "matches the overall rating for its sector, and that of Fidelity Investments".

I wonder about the score for Schwab and others, and about the scope and methods of the survey.

Does anyone have link to the American Consumer Satisfaction Report which the article refers to?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:35 pm

EJ far better schmoozers. They target clueless customers.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 pm
The article states Vanguards rating "matches the overall rating for its sector, and that of Fidelity Investments".

I wonder about the score for Schwab and others, and about the scope and methods of the survey.

Does anyone have link to the American Consumer Satisfaction Report which the article refers to?
Here ya go!

https://www.theacsi.org/index.php?optio ... c=Vanguard

Broken Man 1999

ETA: Apparently the article is incorrect. The study in my link shows Edward Jones at 81 points, not 80.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

sco

Post by sco » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 am

It is a customer satisfaction survey. Of course EJ's customers are happy, if they ever figured out what they were paying compared to everyone else they would either remain happy or leave.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 am

JoMoney wrote:
:D Investing seminars for the elderly including a free dinner at MCL cafateria! Now that is service.

As an owner of Vanguard, I would like to apologize to everyone here for this latest ranking and let you know that apparently our drive to keep my personal investing costs low have went too far. I personally will do what I can to see your relationship with Vanguard account services improves. I am calling them now (have their direct line)!
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

mancich

Post by mancich » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:15 am

Perhaps I've been one of the more fortunate ones; I've called Vanguard several times, and I found their customer service fine. They answered the questions I had in each instance correctly, were friendly, and the wait time for a representative to pick up was very reasonable. YMMV :beer

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:23 am

delamer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm
Why care about a 1 point ratings difference in a customer satisfaction survey?

It is not going cause a stampede from Vanguard to EJ.
Agreed, why even repost this article when the difference is so minimal?

exigent

Post by exigent » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 am

Hey, Vanguard sent me a free coffee mug once. That's gotta be worth something... Right?!?!?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:53 am

So who here is going to transfer their assets to EJ now? :twisted:

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 am

Mehitabel wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:40 am
littlebird wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 am
Alexa9 wrote:
Umm. What hidden landmines?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=210429&p=3538261#p3538261.

I would add in hopes of clarity, that the mistake in the first instance was to start requiring street addresses from those who used p.o.boxes - in my case to protect me from a mentally ill neighbor - without telling the computer that these were “for information only” and were not actual changes of address. This was complicated by the computers being programmed to ignore p.o.boxes, and to search for the most recent *street address*, which in my case was . . . well it should be clear by now

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm

When I get my oil changed for my Infiniti, I go to the dealership. They have free cookies, drinks and a really nice service department with very friendly people. When I get my Honda's oil change, I go to Jiffy Lube. Dumpy office, personnel aren't friendly, etc. I pay more at the dealership but it's a better experience. I would assume the personal service at Edward Jones is superior to Vanguards and as several have pointed out, many EJ clients have no idea how much they are paying.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 pm

It's amazing how many people tell me they basically love and have full trust in and feel gratitude to their financial adviser.
They usually say (in so many words) that he handles everything for them so they don't have to think about it.

Most of the time it's from one of the firms that are commonly advertised on TV and elsewhere.
One person I know told me they paid a 2% AUM fee each year.

And some of these people I know seem to be struggling to make ends meet.

bigROI

Post by bigROI » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:27 am
JoMoney wrote:
Their Assets Under Management fees are 1.35% a year, if I remember right. That also doesn't cover the expense ratios of the underlying funds, but in Edward Jones defense are cheaper funds. But still too expensive.
Don't forget the 5% frontloads! Ha ha ha ha, sorry EJ not today, not ever.

I will say vanguard was a bit pushy for advisory services for some questions I had about a CD ladder, I countered with knowledge, objectives and strategy and then they finally got me going to the CD department to discuss rates. They didn't want to discuss trends or anything people are doing with their fixed holdings and I thought it odd because they initially setup the account with and free financial plan allthough they changed their tiers for that stuff. The account should have still had some advice or grandfather clause. Definitely not going to rate well with the needy hand holder types these days.
A penny saved is much more then a penny earned when you consider the tax/SS/medicare cut.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:17 pm

bigROI wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:27 am
JoMoney wrote:
Don't forget the 5% frontloads! Ha ha ha ha, sorry EJ not today, not ever.

I will say vanguard was a bit pushy for advisory services for some questions I had about a CD ladder, I countered with knowledge, objectives and strategy and then they finally got me going to the CD department to discuss rates. They didn't want to discuss trends or anything people are doing with their fixed holdings and I thought it odd because they initially setup the account with and free financial plan allthough they changed their tiers for that stuff. The account should have still had some advice or grandfather clause. Definitely not going to rate well with the needy hand holder types these days.
Under the new arrangement, there are no sales loads charged. That is why one pays the 1.35% Assets Under Management fee. Edward Jones will also have you invested in lower cost funds. In the "old" days, the Edward Jones advisor would sell you American Funds with the upfront loads and also a mix of individual stocks and bonds but no Assets Under Management fee.
A fool and his money are good for business.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 pm

JoMoney wrote:
No, that's too low. Edward Jones AUM fees start at 1.35% for your first $250,000. They charge 1.3% for the next $250,000, etc. The fees don't drop to 1% until after your first $1.5 million. Of course, I'm not including the Strategy fee, which is also required but added separately.

But yes, they're very friendly.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:43 pm

It would of been great if with those original people survey, if after they rated their financial institutions they were asked if they knew how much they paid every year in fees? Would of been interesting to see who was more educated about fees.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm
ruralavalon wrote:

Here ya go!

Broken Man 1999

ETA: Apparently the article is incorrect. The study in my link shows Edward Jones at 81 points, not 80.
The link posts, but is not really useful unless we can see the questions and how validation was perofrmed. I can just imagine Ed Jones and Merril Lynch being consulted on the questions to ask in the survey.

Ralph

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:24 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:57 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm
ruralavalon wrote:

Here ya go!

Broken Man 1999

The link posts, but is not really useful unless we can see the questions and how validation was perofrmed. I can just imagine Ed Jones and Merril Lynch being consulted on the questions to ask in the survey.

Ralph
I actually looked around the site before I posted the link, but I didn't see anything about the report questions. Though, to be honest, my attention span was pretty short, so I really didn't put a lot of time into a search, as the report isn't worth anything to me.

You might contact the company that published the report, perhaps they can provide the questions and such for you.

Broken Man 1999

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Oak&Elm wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 am
Don't forget to add the standard 5.75% front end load on the class A funds, and of course all the funds EJ recommends are class A
Well if they are class A - then they must be the best! ... Right?

:wink:

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:19 pm

JoMoney wrote:
I wonder about that. If there was an assets under management fee of 1 percent and the mutual funds have an expense ratio of 1 percent, some full service brokers would be your best friend for 2 percent of your net worth per annum. I don't know Jones's fees. I appreciate my .04 percent expense ratio in my Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:09 pm

I have always had very good service at VG... esp if I have a phone appointment for some clarification. (not often needed)

EJ... about 27 years ago or so, (when I really knew nothing much about investing) I had occasion to talk to an EJ person soliciting my business. He claimed to be an investing advisor.

It took about 10 minutes to find out that he really knew next to nothing about investing, but was a really good BS artist.

If I look on the VG site it is pretty clear that there is a lot to learn just by reading through their web pages... not so with EJ. I see nothing but fluff on the EJ site... and frankly, customer surveys have very little to do with anything other than the social experience.

Do I want a good social experience.... sure, but that means factual and direct answers to my frank questions, and occ help with an online action so I don 't do something unintended.

Could VG improve their touchy feely? Maybe.

Do I care if they are recognized? Not really. If everyone did business only with Vg... I have a feeling that would not be good for me or my family.

segfault

Post by segfault » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Meh. I personally know and like my local EJ rep, but don’t use them for investments. They’re (rightfully) very well respected in the community and very intelligent. I don’t need the hand holding. The only significant interaction I’ve had with Vanguard’s customer service was when I was transitioning my solo 401k from a third party administrator that administered Vanguard accounts to Vanguard’s own solo 401k program. The Small Businesses Services rep was very knowledgeable and helpful. So, I have no reason to complain about Vanguard.

WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Alan S. wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:15 pm
Apparently, this result is largely due to the fact that many EJ clients have no idea of what they are paying, although that is hard to understand given the amount of ER advertising in recent years. Perhaps the question was phrased to downplay the overall value client's receive for their dollar spent.

What would you take - the TIer 5 blockbuster drug that is 1% better and costs $200 a month
or the Tier 1 generic that costs $4 a month and is 1% inferior?

Would be interesting to see the entire list if it includes several discount brokers and several full service firms.
Perhaps they in fact, actually got better customer service. It isn't a stretch to say so.

Ray Dalio charges 2%. People pay him this probably because they feel that its worth it to them.
I'm not looking to get rich quick (stocks), I'm not looking to get rich slow (indexing), I'm looking to get rich, for sure (real estate) | Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate.. and wait.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Abe wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 am
fishandgolf wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm
My Vanguard rep once sent me a copy of "Enough" signed by Mr Bogle. :happy
Very Cool.

A friend that teaches financial classes received a book (don't recall book title) signed by John Bogle. Not only was it autographed, it contained a brief message....addressed to him by name...... acknowledging his efforts of teaching the classes. He brought the book to one of his classes to show us......Very cool indeed!
:sharebeer