Any Australian Funds or ETFs provide PFIC Annual Information Statements

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
wokkawokkawokka

Any Australian Funds or ETFs provide PFIC Annual Information Statements

Post by wokkawokkawokka »

Hello (long listener first time caller)

Im a US citizen with Australian spouse, and Ive just discovered that my Australian ETFs and mutual funds are PFICs :oops: . Im looking into options to get out of the punitive state of the IRS taxing of these and I understand that you can 'elect' for the PFIC to be a QEF - one of the criteria for this is if the holding company can provide a PFIC Annual Information Statement. I saw that some MF / ETF companies were providing these in Canada (maybe elsewhere?).

Does anyone know if there are any Australian mutual funds or ETFs that provide these PFIC Annual Information Statements?

My initial googling has not come up with anything.

Im planning to try to get in touch with some of them this coming week, so will update my post with my results.

Thanks for any info

UPDATE:
Vanguard Australia has informed me that they do not do any reporting relevant to other country tax requirements (in Australia, b/c they do in Canada). Vanguard does have some US-domiciled EFTs that trade in Australia though - another option to avoid PFIC status. Broker confirmed that neither Vanguard Australia, Magellan and Platinum provide any PFIC Annual Information Statements. (Nov 2018)