Rollover IRA Questions

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
bck63

Rollover IRA Questions

Post by bck63 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 am

Good morning --

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a question about rollover IRAs. I have two 403(b) accounts from former employers. I would like to roll them over to a Vanguard rollover IRA. My wife and I each file our taxes as Married Filing Separately (as a state employee she is eligible for a student loan forgiveness program but our combined income would make her ineligible). I know the rules regarding IRA contributions when filing as Married Filing Separately. What I can't find information on is whether that filing status makes me ineligible for initiating a rollover IRA? It's not new contributions, but I just can't seem to find the answer. I know I should call my accountant, but thought I would just ask here for starters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-- Brian

ExitStageLeft

Re: Rollover IRA Questions

Post by ExitStageLeft » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:53 am

There are no limitations on rolling from a qualified retirement plan into an IRA. That money is already in a tax-deferred status so it isn't dependent upon whether you can contribute in the current year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:38 pm

A potential problem you might face is that the MAGI limit for making a Roth IRA contribution is very low for MFS in your case. Normally that could be worked around with the backdoor Roth, but your rollovers would cause a problem there.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:38 pm
A potential problem you might face is that the MAGI limit for making a Roth IRA contribution is very low for MFS in your case. Normally that could be worked around with the backdoor Roth, but your rollovers would cause a problem there.
Thank you for the response. Why would it cause a problem?

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm

ExitStageLeft wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:53 am
There are no limitations on rolling from a qualified retirement plan into an IRA. That money is already in a tax-deferred status so it isn't dependent upon whether you can contribute in the current year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf
Thank you!

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm

bck63 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
The rollover IRA would be pro-rated with the after-tax contribution.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm
bck63 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:03 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
The rollover IRA would be pro-rated with the after-tax contribution.
Thanks again Earl. I'm so sorry, but I still don't understand. I'm not able to make any Roth contribution. I just need to roll over two 403(b) plans. I've decided to just go with taxable investments in Vanguard from here on out. So my only concern is whether I can roll over my 403(b) plans without tax problems while filing MFS.

Sorry for my confusion. This MFS has been a big adjustment. I had already contributed fully for 2017 and fully on 1/1/18 for 2018. So had to pull those contributions out and will pay taxes on the profit, which wasn't too much. It's been a pain in the pants but will be worth it in the end.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 pm

If you don't have IRAs with pretax amounts, which normally a 401(k) rollover will have, then you can use the so-called backdoor Roth. In that case, you make a contribution to a traditional IRA, which is not deductible, then convert to a Roth IRA with little tax due. If you have pretax IRA holdings, then you can't just convert the non-deductible part but you need to pro-rate the tax.

It comes down to whether the Roth contribution is better than rolling over from your old 401(k). We'd need details on that to make any recommendations.