Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
am
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 am

Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Post by am » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 am

My VXUS (total intern. Vanguard) holding has about 2k in losses and I would like to tax loss harvest. I hold VEA (developed foreign) and VWO (emerging markets) from when I tax loss harvested years ago. I would like exposure to small caps as well. Would buying more VEA + VWO and adding VSS (foreign small cap) in 70/15/15 proportions be the best approach? I can then switch back to Vxus in 31 days?

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:41 am

I could be wrong, but I believe the combination of Developed and Emerging funds you listed would already contain Small Caps. Any extra VSS would be tilting.

am
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 am

Re: Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Post by am » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:10 pm

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:41 am
I could be wrong, but I believe the combination of Developed and Emerging funds you listed would already contain Small Caps. Any extra VSS would be tilting.
So are you saying that 80% vea and 20% Vwo would equal Vxus? Also, if I simply sell Vxus and add to my vea and Vwo positions, would this trigger a wash sale?

rkhusky
Posts: 5752
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Post by rkhusky » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:40 pm

am wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:10 pm
So are you saying that 80% vea and 20% Vwo would equal Vxus?
Approximately. According to Morningstar, VSUX has approximately 17% in emerging markets, but they count emerging markets differently than Vanguard.
am wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Also, if I simply sell Vxus and add to my vea and Vwo positions, would this trigger a wash sale?
No.

am
Posts: 2782
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 am

Re: Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Post by am » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:19 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:40 pm
am wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:10 pm
So are you saying that 80% vea and 20% Vwo would equal Vxus?
Approximately. According to Morningstar, VSUX has approximately 17% in emerging markets, but they count emerging markets differently than Vanguard.
am wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Also, if I simply sell Vxus and add to my vea and Vwo positions, would this trigger a wash sale?
No.
Thanks. Does vea and vwo include small caps to the same extent as Vxus?

rkhusky
Posts: 5752
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Post by rkhusky » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:46 am

am wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:19 pm
Thanks. Does vea and vwo include small caps to the same extent as Vxus?
Yes.

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Tax loss harvesting Vxus (total intern.) question

Post by livesoft » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 am

am wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:19 pm
Thanks. Does vea and vwo include small caps to the same extent as Vxus?
How would one look that up at Vanguard.com to find the answer? At Morningstar.com?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post Reply