Rebalance to bonds in 401k (timing)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Jermbo

Rebalance to bonds in 401k (timing)

Post by Jermbo »

I’m trying to figure out what most people do when they only have bonds in 401k and there is a large lump sum investment in taxable.

Let’s say for example my AA is 50/30/20, US/Int/Bonds. Currently no portion of my AA is off by more than 1% from target. In the next month or so I’ll be investing a large lump sum into total US stock and total international stock in my taxable account. By doing this it will result in AA being approximately 52/31/17.

Would you immediately rebalance in 401k by selling stock and buying bonds to get back to 50/30/20 on the same day as taxable lump sum investment or wait till bonds went down to 15%?
goblue100

Re: Rebalance to bonds in 401k (timing)

Post by goblue100 »

I don't know about most people, but I don't sweat 2% difference in my target AA. I check quarterly, and if it is off by a lot I'll adjust. Even when I adjust, I don't worry about getting it perfect, because I know after the next market day. it won't be perfect anymore.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Jermbo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 am I’m trying to figure out what most people do when they only have bonds in 401k and there is a large lump sum investment in taxable.

Let’s say for example my AA is 50/30/20, US/Int/Bonds. Currently no portion of my AA is off by more than 1% from target. In the next month or so I’ll be investing a large lump sum into total US stock and total international stock in my taxable account. By doing this it will result in AA being approximately 52/31/17.

Would you immediately rebalance in 401k by selling stock and buying bonds to get back to 50/30/20 on the same day as taxable lump sum investment or wait till bonds went down to 15%?
Yes. When contributing a large lump sum to stock funds in the taxable account I would immediately rebalance to the desired asset allocation
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

I re-balance if things are off by more than 5%. Anything less than that doesn't seem statistically significant, if you will. I doubt even 10% variations make a huge difference in the behavior of a portfolio all that much. New money will go into the area that is short, of course, but I make no special effort below 5%.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds