TLH help needed - VTIAX and VBIAX

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
InvestorNewbie2016

TLH help needed - VTIAX and VBIAX

Post by InvestorNewbie2016 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 pm

hope everyone is holding up well with the flash market sale.

Learned a lot from Bogleheads, WCI and PoF posts on TLH. I have never done TLH and have 2 issues with questions for the hive. Thanks in advance!

A while ago, I purchased VBIAX (Balanced Index Admiral Funds 60:40) without knowing about better alternatives. I now know where I want that money to go.

Now that there is a $300 loss on the latest lots (Last one >30 days old), I want to use the current drop to sell some of the VBIAX.

Questions –

Is it okay to sell some lots or do I need to sell all the VBIAX I hold?

I may either put it in my settlement fund or buy VWIAX (would love to buy VTSAX, but may need this money in 6 months)? I believe there is no wash-sale concern there, am I right? And other than being out of the market, there is no harm in selling over exchanging, correct?

I have incurred some $2000 loss in VTIAX. Would like to exchange into a TLH partner. However, the last automated buy was yesterday.

As long as I sell all the lots I have bought in the past 30 days, it should be okay, right?

Thinking to buy VFWAX instead. Any better suggestions?

Anything else I should know?

ishkadetto

Re: TLH help needed - VTIAX and VBIAX

Post by ishkadetto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

InvestorNewbie2016 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 pm
I have incurred some $2000 loss in VTIAX. Would like to exchange into a TLH partner. However, the last automated buy was yesterday.

As long as I sell all the lots I have bought in the past 30 days, it should be okay, right?

Thinking to buy VFWAX instead. Any better suggestions?
Yes, sell any lots bought in the past 30 days. And if you have the same holding in an IRA make sure you didn't buy there in the same time period too.. if so then it gets more complicated.

VTIAX -> VFWAX is commonly recommended here.
I have done VTIAX -> VFWAX -> VTIAX once this year, and today back into VFWAX. In 31 days if its down or even, I'll return to VTIAX.
I think maybe if it's even up a little I may go back since it's my preferred fund and my losses were so big today (8.6k) :shock:

InvestorNewbie2016

Post by InvestorNewbie2016 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks, Ishkadetto!
Does it matter that the losses are short and not long term?

ishkadetto

Post by ishkadetto » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:13 am

InvestorNewbie2016 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 pm
Does it matter that the losses are short and not long term?
check out this thread, there's some good stuff: viewtopic.php?t=181781