I guess I'm fine

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Good Listener

I guess I'm fine

Post by Good Listener » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm

I am retired and I have a 50/50 portfolio. Daily fluctuations of 1% exceed what I spend in a year. I now spend most of my day reading, walking, trying to avoid others complaining and trying to avoid the news. I listen to radio while I'm walking, alternating preset stations, one of which is Bloomberg and I hear that stock and bond markets have been down pretty badly lately. And I don't care. So am I in the right place?

Living Free

Re: I guess I'm fine

Post by Living Free » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

That sounds like a good attitude for long term investing success

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm

When your have over 100x expenses saved (Daily fluctuations of 1% exceed what I spend in a year.), you are more than fine.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Good Listener wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm
I am retired and I have a 50/50 portfolio. Daily fluctuations of 1% exceed what I spend in a year. I now spend most of my day reading, walking, trying to avoid others complaining and trying to avoid the news. I listen to radio while I'm walking, alternating preset stations, one of which is Bloomberg and I hear that stock and bond markets have been down pretty badly lately. And I don't care. So am I in the right place?
Sounds like you are in great financial shape. Suggest finding opportunities for some active and challenging volunteer work in your community. Apologies in advance if you are already doing more than your share of giveback.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:36 am

Good Listener wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm
Sounds like you need to have a plan for what to do with all that money - accumulation is best for a reason.

staustin

Post by staustin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 am

I hold a minority view that a 50% stock position in retirement is an extremely risky proposition....

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 am

Only you can decide, no need to listen to others' judgements. If you are at peace and satisfied with your life, that's pretty good!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 am

Have you looked into the LMP (Liability Matching Portfolio) idea? (Attributed to Bernstein, I think). Basic idea is you keep your income stream safe in risk-free sources (could be social security plus TIPS, certificates of deposit etc) and then you let the rest ride in the stock market and other volatile asset classes. Makes it pretty easy to not care too much about what the markets are doing.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!